Transport Companies Sheffield

Hi Alan.

Ok,I will PM you.When you open the Transport Forum look top right and it should show "Your PMs".Click on it and it will direct you to my message.Let me know if you are in difficulty and I'll try and help,not that I'm much cop with computers either.:hi hi:

I will message you later tonight - tell your Mum I remember Bert Lancaster,he lived near Gleadless Church,and I have some other names she may remember.

I would love to see any photos she may have.

Chris

hi chris.just a few more names you could no.albert noble,des mansell,bill think he was named big scythe,grim,ian williamson (jock).also been told he drove for cooper and hart in 60s and lonsdale and thompson.got a couple of pics of them and a small pic of a evans waggon.and it is only a bit of a pic.not had chance to go in loft yet to find others,and the loft is full.i try and put the pics on here but im not to clever with computors.alan.

Hi Alan.

Ok,I will PM you.When you open the Transport Forum look top right and it should show "Your PMs".Click on it and it will direct you to my message.Let me know if you are in difficulty and I'll try and help,not that I'm much cop with computers either.:hihi:

I will message you later tonight - tell your Mum I remember Bert Lancaster,he lived near Gleadless Church,and I have some other names she may remember.

I would love to see any photos she may have.

Chris

Hi Alan,I have sent you a PM,but it's not showing as sent,let me know if you got it.You are restricted to so much text so had to split the message.

I think this MK5 was Ken's when he was on the BP Hull contract.EWR 490C fleet 190 in BP colours...about 1970-1971.A Peter Davies photo,taken on Toddington Services.

IMG_0021.jpg

Then when the BP job finished and Ken got his Class One he was given this tractor unit,shown when it belonged to Thomas Allens Ltd on a continental job.XBY 508G was an AEC Mammoth Minor tractor unit and I took it to Swansea and back one saturday,yer dad wanted the weekend off.:hihi:

XBY508G.jpg

hi chris.just a few more names you could no.albert noble,des mansell,bill think he was named big scythe,grim,ian williamson (jock).also been told he drove for cooper and hart in 60s and lonsdale and thompson.got a couple of pics of them and a small pic of a evans waggon.and it is only a bit of a pic.not had chance to go in loft yet to find others,and the loft is full.i try and put the pics on here but im not to clever with computors.alan.

Albert Noble was "Grimm" as he was always telling fairy stories.He commited suicide,jumped off some flats in Grenoside way back in the 70s,he was a big pal of Les Padley RIP.Grimm was a big lad,like your dad,short blonde hair,ex Palestine Policeman,he was on the BP job with Ken but kept himself to himself.Cooper and Hart off Chesterfield Road are a blast from t'past,do you mean Ken drove for them? I don't recognise the names Mansell or Williamson,must have been before my time.Bill "big scythe" could have been the shop steward from Chesterfield,and he was a big bugger,bigger than Ken,could sup beer like he was on an open hearth furnace.

Chris

Albert Noble was "Grimm" as he was always telling fairy stories.He commited suicide,jumped off some flats in Grenoside way back in the 70s,he was a big pal of Les Padley RIP.Grimm was a big lad,like your dad,short blonde hair,ex Palestine Policeman,he was on the BP job with Ken but kept himself to himself.Cooper and Hart off Chesterfield Road are a blast from t'past,do you mean Ken drove for them? I don't recognise the names Mansell or Williamson,must have been before my time.Bill "big scythe" could have been the shop steward from Chesterfield,and he was a big bugger,bigger than Ken,could sup beer like he was on an open hearth furnace.

Chris

hi chris.yes me dad drove for cooper and hart.got photo here date on back 1961 outside our house.and a photo of lonsdale and thompson march 1960.try and get pics on,but working on it.

i worked at tuffnells aprox.1966/68 .i worked one week at woodbourne rd,then moved to shepcote lane.i drove no 67 for about a week on liester run and also a trader ,sat on my coat for comfort and with a piece of rag wrapted around an injector pipe so i could breath.I also did about 12 months on the manchester run my wagon was albion no 61.i worked with vin olroyd ,billy wilson,arthur kimpton,ken stagg,another cant recall his name.me and olly would race over the snake his was faster going up but i allways got him down the other side.We would be banned nowdays.

I also remember the Ripley pig. I was working for the BRS Staniforth Road at the time and she was a well known character..

my late father ,eric marshall worked at BRS staniforth road for about 30 years then he went to kitchens then to hughes haulage

Hi, I am new on here and am fascinated with this thread

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 20:35 ----------

My father worked for many haulage companies in the 60's to the 80's in and around Sheffield and had many a good tale to tell..... To name a few he worked for thorpes both long distance and shunting at tinsley park... Shepherds when they were at church street, he had the first artic they got, revill son and broadbent, barracloughs at thurlstone working out of Hepworth pipe works at crow edge, barber road services, hope and anchor, these are to name but a few, does anybody remember him ? His name is Geoff Proost...

My father worked for many haulage companies in the 60's to the 80's in and around Sheffield and had many a good tale to tell..... To name a few he worked for thorpes both long distance and shunting at tinsley park... Shepherds when they were at church street, he had the first artic they got, revill son and broadbent, barracloughs at thurlstone working out of Hepworth pipe works at crow edge, barber road services, hope and anchor, these are to name but a few, does anybody remember him ? His name is Geoff Proost...

Hi Euro. Sorry the name doesn't ring any bells but I knew all those companies you mentioned. Maybe someone else will come up with a more positive reply.

Chris.

i knew your dad quite well when he was shunting at tinsley park for thorpes i worked for truswells used to do the night shunt from time to time top man we had some good times even though it was 12 hours non stop hard work especially those long winter nights

Hi there longchat.... I will tell my dad that somebody remembers him from tinsley... What is your name?