Transport Companies Sheffield

Hi Manx, thanks so much for those pictures. They bring back many memories. I remember all those vehicles and the registration numbers ( I was a bit of a geek when it came to registration plates ) whilst waiting in Parker's yard which was at Malin Bridge.

I think I have a couple of photos myself somewhere, but I'm not sure where they are. If I find them I'll post them.

Do you have - does anybody have - any knowledge or pics of the lorries used by Tempered Spring Co Ltd Foley Street, preferrably mid fifties/early sixties era ?

I have spent many hours with my father tripping down to Austin/Morris, Jaguar motors in Birmingham and Coventry, delivering springs to these factories in their heyday.

John.

Hi John.I remember the Tempered Spring Co ,the wagons I think were maroon in colour but were they contractors in T S colours? Not sure,somebody might know on here.

Chris.

SPT would be Osborns AND Harrisons, the only ones in yellow apart from the lime brs ones

Samson,this old Bristol was yellow and was BRS Staniforth Road. I JUST:hihi: remember seeing them in the early 60s.I do,of course remember the Octopus lime wagons in SPT yellow.

0582.jpg

1072.jpg

Do you and the Phantom:rolleyes: remember this lot - Westwoods,ran out of TRM? A Peter Davies photo,one of my favourites.:cool:

146C023752.jpg

Can any one remember ADL at the thorncliffe industrial estate? I lasted a week there,some one backed me out of the warehouse and I ran over a pump truck,the so and so's sacked me.

Samson,this old Bristol was yellow and was BRS Staniforth Road. I JUST:hihi: remember seeing them in the early 60s.I do,of course remember the Octopus lime wagons in SPT yellow.

0582.jpg

1072.jpg

Do you and the Phantom:rolleyes: remember this lot - Westwoods,ran out of TRM? A Peter Davies photo,one of my favourites.:cool:

146C023752.jpg

CWB445B.jpg

forgot about them bristols ,

and that one in derby

hi duncan do you rememeber marrys at tintwistle good breakfast also robin hood at flouch had many a dodgy night out there untill granville cought me he came out in his car and found 3 wagons parked up on a dodgy from liverpool the b----- took our 7s/6p back from our wages

Can any one remember ADL at the thorncliffe industrial estate? I lasted a week there,some one backed me out of the warehouse and I ran over a pump truck,the so and so's sacked me.

I remember them Tom,didn't they do M and S deliveries,and wasn't it Salserve after them?

I heard some bad reports about that ADL job but I don't think it was owt to do with illegal hours,can't recall who told me about it.:confused:

Anybody remember Jack Probitts Haulage at Oughtibridge? He once offered me a job but when I saw the wagons and their condition I valued my life a bit more than that.I went in the workshop (sic) and saw a truck which had sheared the stub axle through lack of grease.I knew Jack when he worked for Pump Maintinance during the 50s-60s and he lived on Middlewood Rd then,he will be long gone now.

hi duncan do you rememeber marrys at tintwistle good breakfast also robin hood at flouch had many a dodgy night out there untill granville cought me he came out in his car and found 3 wagons parked up on a dodgy from liverpool the b----- took our 7s/6p back from our wages

I remember the Robin Hood,just below the Dog and Partridge.Was Mary's the one on the left at the top of the hill before you dropped down into Tintwhistle,you had to back onto the bit of a lorry park off the road? There was another one in Tintwhistle,on the right at the bottom of the hill,you went through a shop to a room in the back,got a good pie and gravy in there.There was a side road that brought you out at the top of the hill.The one I always liked was run by a couple of grand old lasses at the bottom of Langsett hill,tablecloths and even a teapot with a good breakfast chucked in.:)

Dodgy nights out.............I've had some of them round the back of the Dog and Partridge,you put yer money in a box on the wall.If the ministry man from Penistone,called Nelson I think, ever snooped on there the pub landlord would threaten him with his alsatian.:hihi:

Bryan,you were lucky just to have your night out money stopped off Grrrrrranville,if the gaffer at Evans saw owt like that it was down the road,one or two got caught in Rotherham booked off miles away,he used to sneak out with his car and go to all these well-known hiding places on a saturday morning,take the reg numbers and wait for the log sheets to roll in.

Chris

Edited by Manxdeedah

I remember them Tom,didn't they do M and S deliveries,and wasn't it Salserve after them?

I heard some bad reports about that ADL job but I don't think it was owt to do with illegal hours,can't recall who told me about it.:confused:

Yes not a very good place to work there,I was only there on the agencies, I was supposed to be covering for holidays, what a load of crap that job was.

tintwisle.that brings back some good memories.l lost a small part of my load , off maxiload that i was taking to liverpool, police on bike arived ,gave me a hand to clear road , said that two brekfast should be ordered, one with a big mug of tea, ;):cool:

;) love them days,

young terry parked his lorry up at back of pub( tet220) albion 6 legger ,yep granvill found it:mad: , 220 was taken back to yard , next day terry reported it missing and was told to come to yard , :(, i can never forget his words when he saw 220 , "sorry iv been a bad boy", lmfho, he stayed with us for a bit ,:)

Yes not a very good place to work there,I was only there on the agencies, I was supposed to be covering for holidays, what a load of crap that job was.

Applied Distribution Limited, worked in warehouse at Thorncliffe and down at Ecclesfield, did Somerfield fresh produce at Thorncliffe, and Esso gifts at Ecclesfield. wish I'd stayed up at Thorncliffe on nights, was a lot better than Ecc!!

Applied Distribution Limited, worked in warehouse at Thorncliffe and down at Ecclesfield, did Somerfield fresh produce at Thorncliffe, and Esso gifts at Ecclesfield. wish I'd stayed up at Thorncliffe on nights, was a lot better than Ecc!!

I worked there when it first started at Thorncliffe driving and then shunting but only for a few months.