Hancock & Lant building on Lady's Bridge

The stack is part of Huntmans forge ie Bejamin Huntsman - inventor of Crucible steel. It was also known as 'The Wicker Tilt' The forge dates from the 1760s and you can see pictures of it at picturesheffield.com

my nan used to live in the building in the 1920/30s. when i next speak to her i will ask her what she can remember about the building

Is this the same one as the brick built Royal Exchange Buildings with the stepped gables in the Dutch style?

The stack is part of Huntmans forge ie Bejamin Huntsman - inventor of Crucible steel. It was also known as 'The Wicker Tilt' The forge dates from the 1760s and you can see pictures of it at picturesheffield.com

Cheers for that info Darren :thumbsup:

asked my nan as far as she can remember there was a side enterance which stairs up to the different floors. each floor had a balcony and the toilets were at the end of each balcony, i guess thats where the building what looks like a stair well is.

I was born 1955 in the building set back between the Hancock and Lant Warehouse and Castle house. My father worked for Hancock and Lants for awhile. I think it was converted into offices when we left. My Little Gram lived in Castle House, which above the Fellowship Office, was made up of ‘Rooms’  to rent, with shared kitchen and bathrooms over 3 floors. The back of Castle House had access into the Royal Exchange Building flats, which had ‘landings ‘ and connecting bridges to the toilets. We moved after 5 years, but my Gram was there till I think the late 1980’s, still living in one room.  We had a brilliant view of the annual boat race down the river. 

On 02/05/2007 at 08:49, billyhill said:

During the first worls war I believe Tommy Ward's famous elephant was stabled there.

There was a vet there and the entrance still remains. It can be seen from the opposite side of the river and there is some sort of latin inscription above the door way.

A mate of mine Mr Charlie Crowder ran a printing bussines from  this building