Les Baker, Killamarsh, 1970s - now about 50

Anyone know of Les Baker who lived on Mansfield Road, Killamarsh in 1974/75, would have been about 20 years old then.

Very interesting Ann louis. I lived at no. 61 Mansfield rd that was High Moor Killamarsh Lived there for 8yr before coming to Australi a in 1963.

Great village but sorry do not know the name you speak of but more than likely will know of relatives A small village but very friendly. My friends were the builders there Parsons.

Regards Vera

Vera, it's not changed very much since then. There is still the Travellers on the corner where you turn down towads Woodall.

I was in Norwood at the weekend and I will ask my friends about Les Baker later tonight.

Hi Owdlad

You know Highmoor then. Opposite corner to the pub was the Co-op Store and I lived next door to it. The only house down the lane was my husbands cousin. They were nearly all related up there. I used to walk regular to the Pebley ponds there/ Thats where the gypsey used to camp. Know so well Booth& Fishers bus used it regular to go into Sheffield. Nice hearing from you Owdlad

Regards Vera.

Morning Vera, Yes I know High Moor, Boothy's buses are long gone so is the coop and High Moor pit but apart from that, the row of houses is virtually the same as it's always been. I never got as far as Pebley ponds, much prefering to go to the one in the fields (Killamarsh reservoir) Rodgers fishing club had the rights to for that, and walk through the wood to the one that was fished by Nethergreen club. The latter one was drained to allow mine workings to go under it. The land down the lane towards Woodall is still as it always was, although Woodall and Harthill have both changed quite a lot.

I hope this helps. owdlad.

Originally posted by annelouise

Anyone know of Les Baker who lived on Mansfield Road, Killamarsh in 1974/75, would have been about 20 years old then.

annelouise, I had a word with my friend last night, but sadly he can't remember Les, but he still is going to ask around to see if anyone else remembers him.

Hi, Les Baker Lodged with me for 2 years at Highmoor he married a girl from Retford and ended up living there. I lost touch a few years after and have not heard anything since sorry cannot be any more helpfull.

Hi Owdlad

You know Highmoor then. Opposite corner to the pub was the Co-op Store and I lived next door to it. The only house down the lane was my husbands cousin. They were nearly all related up there. I used to walk regular to the Pebley ponds there/ Thats where the gypsey used to camp. Know so well Booth& Fishers bus used it regular to go into Sheffield. Nice hearing from you Owdlad

Regards Vera.

I too know/knew Highmoor well,when you walked to Pebley ponds the M1 motorway bridge over the road just before the Pebley pub would not have been there then,Boothies bus also ran to Worksop thro' Woodhall,Harthill,Thorpe Salvin caught it many times to both Sheffield and Worksop.I also remember the garage/petrol station(Coopers, i think)on the corner near Highmoor pit and the shop (weston's?)on Hut lane heading towards Killamarsh/Spinkhill..Parsons builders are still there next door to the Travellers pub and Highmoor really has not altered that much,it must be one of very few area's where house's have not been thrown up everywhere.The fields at the back of the house you lived in still remain unchanged also.In 1963 i lived on the "White City" at Killamarsh.....