Old Pubs In Chapeltown

Having just moved into the area, I was wondering if there were any old pubs in Chapeltown that are no longer there?

Having just moved into the area, I was wondering if there were any old pubs in Chapeltown that are no longer there?

Don't recall any that have dissapeared during my drinking days 1972-2007. However there are many that have changed name.

On the side of a house on Station Road, up near Carters Garage, there appears to be "The White Rose" painted on.

Admittedly it is extremely faded so I can't be sure what it says, but can anyone shed any light on this?

The Workingmen's Club at Lane End, Chapeltown, was demolished around twenty odd years ago. There was a pub in White Lane which is now a house. It is on the right just after you start to climb the hill. Sorry, I can't remember the name but I have seen a photo of it. I shall try and find out.

There used to be the Commercial pub about 200 yds before Carter's garage opposite the Izal factory which has long since gone.

The Commercial pub on Station Road, Chapeltown is now a thriving real ale pub and has not been demolished.

The Commercial pub on Station Road, Chapeltown is now a thriving real ale pub and has not been demolished.

Sorry, I meant the Izal factory has been demolished, not the pub!

Is the Coach and Horses still there - used to play darts in there - lunchtimes when at school - how times have changed

Is the Coach and Horses still there - used to play darts in there - lunchtimes when at school - how times have changed

It's still there, I pop in now and again for a quick pint. The Royal Oak opposite seems to be more popular though.

In the 1950's a bloke who I worked with me at "Newton Chambers" called "Bert Whitam" used to play the "drums" in the Royal Oak...Anyone remember him.

Does anyone remember a Chapeltown landlord called Hulbert?

Does anyone remember a Chapeltown landlord called Hulbert?

Yes, I know that there was Cliff Hulbert and his wife Frances from Chapeltown who used to have a pub years ago. I think it was the Commercial they had. They lived on Station Road in later years.