Sign in to follow this  

Can someone help - house value

My offer of £73, 500 for a two bedroom house [semi detached] in upperthorpe was recently accepted. I took my sis around to see it and she was adamant that the price is too exorbitant for an 'ex-council house' AND that the maze like layout of the area makes it a prime escape route for bandits etc AND the houses are too close together AND there is little privacy because the front door opens onto 'the maze' and the back door leading into the garden is the front yard of other people..and directly on a path. I had these thoughts too but the inside of the house is lovely, theres an extra shower room...and the steps are not 85%

Given that the market in Sheffield is so 'mingin' these days, i figured that this was as good as it gets. What do you all think?? i am totally undecided and dont know whether i should back out or not [given that my sis is financing the initial investment] I have held off on the valuation becuase i dont want to waste £405 on a house that I wont buy... suggestions comments please

That part of Upperthorpe is very handy for town, there's a big Safeway 5 mins away, there's a lot of regeneration going on at that end of town. A good library and one of the few out of town swimming pools. There's a nice park at the top of Blake St (see previous posts re Ruskin Park) and another behind Safeway.

I think the bidding system in Sheffield is a useful way of judging whether or not you will be able to sell on. Where there many other people in the chain?

Upperthorpe, or that part you are thinking of buying, will be coming into Walkley ward under the new boundary changes so that's good too (I have a vested interest in Walkley).

The only downside is that they are still sheltering someone who used a shotgun in the local pub some 5 or 6 years ago.

PM me if you want to chat about the area.

Try here: http://www.upmystreet.com/overview/?l1=s6#Hpr (It is S6 postcode isn't it?) Their figures make it sound cheap but of course their valuations are averaged over a substantial area so you do need to look at the specifics of the individual property. Have you visited the area at different times of day - like late evening on Friday to see what the social behaviour is like at its worst? Have you tried to chat with neighbours or in the corner shop?

There are no other houses for sale in that area presently so I cant compare houses. The condition of the house is excellent and the present owner has made some pleasant/useful additions.

I have spoken to the guy in the cornershop who says that he doesnt live in the area!! but that other than a youth getting stabbed outside the library a few months ago, everything seems to be fairly quite.

I havent been to the area at night before...

Given that I need to move out of my present accommodation on July 31st.... what do you think? Would you buy a house there

Forget it that price is way over the top for a run down area like upperthorpe.Go to the south of the city I.e intake/Beighton/Handsworth nice areas good travel to city etc and better areas.

Yep as George has said forget it.

Get less in a better area, remember what they say.

Location Location Location, try Heeley, Meersbrook, Woodseats for that price you will get something.

Thanks for the advice guys! I did forget it and I am attempting to purchase elsewhere. BUT that house was/is gorgeous, its just where it is placed i wasnt comfortable with