Lift in Fitzalan Square

It WAS the entrance to the Sub Station

Edited by lazarus

I used to love going to the old cinema in Fitzalan square

I used to love going to the old cinema in Fitzalan square

My mum use to work at the cinema in Fitzalan Square (It was called the Classic). There were 5 of us kids and we use to love going to the classic on saturday mornings. When we got bored with the films being shown, we use to slide own the stairs on our bellies and just generally mess about (quietly though)! It was our playground.

The lattice gate at the bottom of the steps next to Wigfalls was definitely still there in the 80s, maybe later? When I was little I thought it was a lift too!

My mum use to work at the cinema in Fitzalan Square (It was called the Classic)....
Some of us are old enough to remember it as the News Theatre..:( It became the Classic in 1962 and burned down in 1984.

Bloomin' heck, am I really that old?.:o

Some of us are old enough to remember it as the News Theatre..:( It became the Classic in 1962 and burned down in 1984.

Bloomin' heck, am I really that old?.:o

I remember seeing it burn. :(

We'd been on a school trip, and came past Fitzalan Square on a double decker on the way home. Then Wiggy's burned down not long after if I recall? Unlucky area!