Lift in Fitzalan Square

I've just trawled through 89 photos on photosheffield and not spotted it!

Are the steps it was next to the ones down to baker's hill?

yes, Bakers hill is the strange, very short, little jutting bit of road, that runs behind the Barclay's Bank building between it, and the old post office building, which leads to the steps.

yes, Bakers hill is the strange, very short, little jutting bit of road, that runs behind the Barclay's Bank building between it, and the old post office building, which leads to the steps.

Opposite Bakers Hill used to be the old ICE HOUSE can you remember that?

I remember the steps but not a lift in the 40s

I can't remember a Bakers Hill and I used to roam those streets towards the end of the war. I went through town every day to school.

I remember Change Alley and Milk St, Norfolk St and Sycamore St which ran down from roughly the Lycem into Pond Hill, whch ran into Pond St where I caught my bus.

There were also steps down from the Lycem to Pond St probabley about 100.

we would vary our journey and watch the sparks from blacksmith shoeing horses on Sycamore St. Or watch the Buffer ladies with cardboard tied round their legs go about their work somewhere behind the Lycem. Or play in the bombed buildigs that were on our way to school.

So Bakers hill must have been the small rd at the botom of the GPO steps?

hazel

<snippitty>So Bakers hill must have been the small rd at the botom of the GPO steps?

hazel

yes, hazel, that little strip of road is bakers hill. it's still there.

Opposite Bakers Hill used to be the old ICE HOUSE can you remember that?

no I'm afraid don't remember that, I remember the wall with the mesh fencing that surrounded the post ofice van parking area, (that was the one I used to walk along) and I remember an office block of some kind, being demolished, adjacent/ slightly behind to the car park, before you got to the shude hill bridge, when I was a small child (middle sixties)

Does anyone have any memory of a lift that was situated in the corner of Fitzalan Square?

It would have been at the top of the steps close to the old Post Office.

I have seen mention of it in a couple of previous threads, but almost in passing.

I am curious when it was dismantled. It wasnt there when i was a kid in the late fifties, so it will need someone with a longer memory than me, or a specific history book etc.

The PO garage was at the bottom of these steps, to the right, I believe a lift went up to the main office from there

I think the lattice gates were the entrance to the sub station.I can`t remember any lift there.Are you sure you are not mixing it up with the ones up to the station in the wicker.

Yes , you are spot on. The gates were, the entrance to the electricity sub-station for the GPO. I worked at the YEB on Shude Hill and used to pass there regularly.

Opposite Bakers Hill there was "The Sheffield Ice Making Co.", where they used to make ice in large blocks and it was delivered round Sheffield in the hot weather to pubs where they used to put it on the wooden barrels in the beer cellars to keep the beer cool. I think butchers fishmongers also used the service.

Yes , you are spot on. The gates were, the entrance to the electricity sub-station for the GPO. I worked at the YEB on Shude Hill and used to pass there regularly.

Opposite Bakers Hill there was "The Sheffield Ice Making Co.", where they used to make ice in large blocks and it was delivered round Sheffield in the hot weather to pubs where they used to put it on the wooden barrels in the beer cellars to keep the beer cool. I think butchers fishmongers also used the service.

I remember it well.I lived in the Wicker at the time. Spot on Capricorn.

Remember the steps clearly and there was something that looked like lift doors there - I've just accessed part of my memory that's been closed for years - am I imagining things or did Wiggys (Wigfalls) have a goods entrance on Bakers Hill? I "discovered" those steps about 1974 and regularly used them as a quick route between the market and Flat St for the 42 bus.

Bakers Hill was originally, the bottom of Norfolk Street, which ran from Shude Hill, before Fitzalan Square was constructed to be the way it is now (more or less).

Bakers Hill was originally, the bottom of Norfolk Street, which ran from Shude Hill, before Fitzalan Square was constructed to be the way it is now (more or less).
Quite right - here's a map. A recent view is here.

I also remember the lift-type gates at the bottom of the steps but I never saw any lift access, wnding gear etc. at the upper level.

Edited by hillsbro