Lift in Fitzalan Square

Does anyone have any memory of a lift that was situated in the corner of Fitzalan Square?

It would have been at the top of the steps close to the old Post Office.

I have seen mention of it in a couple of previous threads, but almost in passing.

I am curious when it was dismantled. It wasnt there when i was a kid in the late fifties, so it will need someone with a longer memory than me, or a specific history book etc.

Hi Docmel,

I went up and down the steps as a child in the 40's and early 50's and cannot remember a lift there. I don't think I would have missed seeing it as, as a child on the way to school we explored everything in our path.

So must have been before that. I think there was some sort of square building there at the top of the steps though.

hazel

Hi Docmel,

I went up and down the steps as a child in the 40's and early 50's and cannot remember a lift there. I don't think I would have missed seeing it as, as a child on the way to school we explored everything in our path.

So must have been before that. I think there was some sort of square building there at the top of the steps though.

hazel

Snap!! I think there was a lift up from the toilets when it was the Tram Terminus. the kind with the lattice gates.

I can never remember a lift there in the corner of Fitzalan Square but I could be wrong.

There was a lift at the side of the steps at one end of the Wicker Arches to go up to the Victoria Station.

Happy Days!

I remember the lattice gates but never remember a lift working.

Thanks everyone - I remember a comment about this which mentioned that when the lift was there it was constantly breaking down - that may explain why it was removed.

yes there was a lift there and i can remember it,i think it was in the corner side of the old post office/gpo building and a pub,and yes i never ever seen it working,but i can remember it plainly

I remember the gate with the lattice being there when I was a child. We (my mum and I) used to use those steps, I remember how worn down they were even then.

I have to admit, thought the lattice-work gates were the entrance to a loo or something..? :confused:

I remember the gate with the lattice being there when I was a child. We (my mum and I) used to use those steps, I remember how worn down they were even then.

I have to admit, thought the lattice-work gates were the entrance to a loo or something..? :confused:

I think the lattice gates were the entrance to the sub station.I can`t remember any lift there.Are you sure you are not mixing it up with the ones up to the station in the wicker.

I think the lattice gates were the entrance to the sub station.I can`t remember any lift there.Are you sure you are not mixing it up with the ones up to the station in the wicker.

yes, I'm quite certain the lattice gates were the ones at the bottom of the steps at fitzalan square, because my mother used to let me walk on the wallon the other side of the road (where the post office vans parked beside the newer sorting office) on our way from Pond street. (a very frequent route that we'd take, out of the bus station, past the penny black pub, and the new sorting office, then along by shude hill, either turning off, up the steps to Wigfalls, or under the bridge and into the old setts market - and I mean the old setts, before the Sheaf Market and the umbrellas!)

I used to grumble, as I used to want to go right the way along, on, to the old market, under the bridge, and mum would want to turn off, on order to go up those worn stairs to Fizi Square, to call in Wigfalls or something.

I never went up the stairs/ lift at the Victoria station, although I did work for a firm based at the Royal Victoria hotel for a time.

I've just trawled through 89 photos on photosheffield and not spotted it!

Are the steps it was next to the ones down to baker's hill?

I've just trawled through 89 photos on photosheffield and not spotted it!

Are the steps it was next to the ones down to baker's hill?

Strix - snap!! - spent too long on photosheffield looking for pics of this and tried every possible search name I could think of.

I think its gonna be one of those left to those who can remember it

Not worth losing any sleep over tho - it was just me trying to remember all the places I could before the memory goes!

Peculiar thing is I cannot find the piece that started this thread in the first place - I am sure I read it somehere about some one recalling their times when, as a youngster, they used to walk up the steps and he used to beg his mum for a ride on the lift, but it was always broken.