Sign in to follow this  

Extending cable modem?

I have a cable modem in one room ... and want to setup my computer in another room in the house.

Can I just get a network extension lead?

It's a network cable that comes out of the modem and goes in to my PC network card.

How long can I extend it before it will stop working ?

Any other solutions ?

*ggggggrrrrrrrrrr* computers !!!!

Just go buy some CAT5 Cable

Max of 100 Meters (328 ft)

Wireless network.

My suggestions (although I'm sure people will add their own) are the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router and a Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI card, for around £80 quid.

Or you could probably get some budget one for £20 or so less.

A little more expensive but the easy, expandable option.

Wireless network idea sounds good.

Is that a good buy ... the linksys wireless-G router and PCI card ?

My cable internet connection speed is 768kb/s ... I wouldn't like my access speed to go down as a result of having a wireless network ... ??

Originally posted by Jamie

My cable internet connection speed is 768kb/s ... I wouldn't like my access speed to go down as a result of having a wireless network ... ??

I'm no expert but i don't think you will. Pic here might explain it,doesn't mean much to me tho,lol.

Sure, its a good make (a division of Cisco Systems), lots of decent support on the web, easy to set up, I've had no hassle.

Its a 54g wireless system, which means its 54 Mbps, quite a bit faster than your 0.75 Mbps cable ;)

There's some info here:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608

Amazon seems the cheapest at the moment.

Linksys are good, but I prefer Netgear personally.

I use an FM114P router . It's only 11Mb wireless, but that's still fast enough for web browsing and network gaming and streaming DivX videos. Plus it has a printer port so I can print from anywhere without the hassle of printer sharing and leaving computers switched on.

Whatever you decide, make sure you fully encrypt your wireless network. My friend informs me there are quite a lot of unencrypted wireless networks in Broomhill and Walkley!

Make sure your router has at least 128bit WEP and also MAC address authentication.

I have recently installed the BT Voyager wireless router. It cost me £100 from PC World at Meadowhall retail park(Reduced from £150!). You also get 1 wireless desktop adapter, 1 wireless laptop adapter and an Ethernet cable.

I'm not sure if this router is compatible with cable though?.

Originally posted by LL200

My suggestions (although I'm sure people will add their own) are the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router and a Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI card, for around £80 quid.

I bought the linksys stuff ... is it hard to setup?

Originally posted by Jamie

I bought the linksys stuff ... is it hard to setup?

Read the instructions, clear as mud ;)

Its easy enough to setup, RTFM and all that...

The only thing I will say is that the MAC address on the box is actually not the MAC address you should tell your ISP (that is if you need to tell your ISP your MAC address). You'll find the correct MAC address on the status page of the router admin (192.168.1.1).

The difference is that the one printed on the box is the LAN address and the one on the status page is the WAN address.

Make sure you change the default SSID, disable broadcast, set up encryption (WEP 128 bit), change the admin password, set up MAC filtering. Then you'll be safe and sound.

Feel free to PM me if you need a hand.

Originally posted by LL200

Its easy enough to setup, RTFM and all that...

The only thing I will say is that the MAC address on the box is actually not the MAC address you should tell your ISP (that is if you need to tell your ISP your MAC address). You'll find the correct MAC address on the status page of the router admin (192.168.1.1).

Most boxes will spoof any mac address you tell them to I believe.