V-Bar on West Street - closing?

Does anyone know whether V-Bar on West Street is closing? I went their a few times when it first opened as they did some good after-work drinks offers. Then for some reason they switched their offers to after 8pm and it's been very, very quiet (apart from Fri/Sat when everywhere is busy!) for months now. I also noticed a post by someone else mentioning that the lease is up for grabs but it's only the furniture and fittings. What does that mean exactly?

Anyone know someone from V-Bar, I understand it's a fairly local/small company behind it?

That venue has a sad history of various people bombing.

I used to work at the v-bar and the company is a Barnsley company called Northern Bars.....

The manager and assistant have recently left and a new manager has gone in.

It was always quiet between those times,, but the head office people make the decisions on drink offers and what not,,, and they think they are right.

Digging there own graves..

=)

Originally posted by Tony

That venue has a sad history of various people bombing.

Apologies Tony I don't understand that comment ? please enlighten me.. (something probably so simple!)

I suspect he means owners doing a runner

No I wasn't implying that. I meant that the venue has had quite a few different operations, none of which seem to have worked. I don't know why.

Only ever been in once, can't comment on it as I dont remember much. T'was a West Street pub crawl.. I remember it wasnt cheap..

Tony, I was thinking the same thing. The last thing to run there was a Noodle bar and then before that some US grill place (i think). Both seemed to close quite quickly and were quiet. I'm not sure why V-Bar is so quiet (apart from the silly 'happy hour' times) as places further towards the city centre (i.e. away from the students) still manage to do well.

It's curious really. Takapuna does very well and it probably has a worse pitch on West St.

I don;t get it and I don't like to see people not doing well when they have put in a lot of effort

:confused:

Yeah it is very curious. I think the one of the problems with it is that its never been a "must go to" bar. I dont think it draws the same type of crowd who go in the Forum, Bia Hoi, Revo, Muse and other bars at the top end of West St, and i think its a bit out of the way for people who stick to places like Yates, Lloyds RSVP and places like that. I've lived of West St nearly 18 months now and i've been in it once i think, and that was only because it was someones birthday, the place just doesn't appeal to me.

But then a few doors down is tequilla and that place gets very busy, but a think thats mainly because it tends to draw a older age group in, from what i've seen anyway.

Thank Goodness it is closing, it's one of the worst pubs in town. No atmosphere, too expensive and full of a very odd mix of people who appear to have arrived there because they know no better.

Originally posted by philyyy

Thank Goodness it is closing, it's one of the worst pubs in town. No atmosphere, too expensive and full of a very odd mix of people who appear to have arrived there because they know no better.

Can I ask what night you went in and how many times you have been there ?

I've only been once and can't say whether it was bad or good, it was full so credit to them there...