Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

One of the memories from Carter Lodge, was when my "partner in crime" fastened her blazer around a dog that had wandered in, and sent it running down the corridor, towards Mrs Marsden, we were in hysterics, and could not understand that she din't think ammusing at all, teachers eh! Eerie enough, my daughter is a teacher!!!!!

Which part of Delves Drive did you live

No.21, we were joined onto Havenhands, Peter White usedd to live up the same path, but they moved to the new builds. They were great times there, i thought it was a good place to grow up in, before the woods etc were decimated. Nowhere for kids to have the fun we had.

Well Zakes your reply certainly got my heart racing. Have you ever thought of writing riomantic novels? lol. I still haven't worked out your real name but I will get my Miss Marple hat on and keep trying. You have definitely got the right girl 25.6.54. May hair was classified as 'strawberry blonde' back then but I will now call it 'melting crunchie' from now on. Far sexier and appropriate considering my love of chocolate (toffe crisps and turkish delight were my favourites). I wish you had plucked up the courage to kiss me as I'm sure I would never have forgotten you!! If you had made your true feelings known who knows what direction our lives would have taken? I may have had a secret hankering for you and could now be your taste of eastern promise (I take it you are living in Beijing) lol. Take care xx

Le Baron - I certainly remember Birdie (Neil Burgess). Wasn't he the lad we used to sing Kathy's Clown to as he was 'courting' a girl called Kath (her parents were both deaf)? I bumped into her in Argos (Crystal Peaks) a few years ago and we recognised each other - how amazing is it that you can still recognise people from your childhood when you haven't seen them for 40+ years!

I only lived at Hackenthorpe for a short while but have wonderful, happy memories of those days - the corn fields, down Canns (sang to the tune of Down Town), Bluebell Woods and those huge swings on the park where the boys used to try to see our knickers whilst we were stood up swinging. Yes we knew what you were doing! lol

No.21, we were joined onto Havenhands, Peter White usedd to live up the same path, but they moved to the new builds. They were great times there, i thought it was a good place to grow up in, before the woods etc were decimated. Nowhere for kids to have the fun we had.

Thanks for the reply memari, trying to put a face to the name.

I lived on Delves Drive at 33 untill 1964 went to the Village School then to Rainbow Forge and then Carter Lodge. Iam now 60 are we in the same age group.

Dave

Yes, same age!!!!! aagghhh, soon goes fast doesn't it. Don't worry, i can't put a face to your name either,your name just rings a bell in the distance, but, isn't it nice to catch up, and to read about things that hold such memories.

The continuing saga of Zakes and Cotty has me hooked, maybe you should meet up, say, in the Hogs Head ( with the rest of us). Mind you, that would put an end to the intrigue.

How about you LeBaron, are you on hols, or having a break from the forum for a while?

Memari Laine

Edited by memari laine
adding another line.

Hi Memarie - I don't think there is any chance of Zakes putting in an appearance as (a) it seems he now lives in Beijing and (b) I think he likes to remain an international man of mystery. Furthermore I think it might shatter his illusions by meeting in the flesh after all these years.

However, I have been trying to find out his real name (intriguing) but was a little disappointed to see that I wasn't his only dream girl back then. In fact, reading his past threads and posts they are littered with references to girls he 'fancied'. His memory is quite extraordinary though and he is certainly entertaining - takes you right back to those times.

I lived at 45 Delves Road and our back garden looked onto the park/playground which was opposite Rainbow Forge school. I lived between Christine Hancock (who once accused my of trying to strangle her when we'd had a fall out - drama queen) and Bonita & Frank Glover. I remember playing with lots of kids from the Rainbow Avenue area and one girl in particular (who's name escapes me) came from an Italian family. At least I always thought they were Italian, they all had dark curly hair, but now I've heard the name Townsend it seems to ring a bell (not very Italian). We were determined we were going to go on Opportunity Knocks and rehearsed My Boy Lollipop for weeks - she was Millie and me and another girl (no idea who) were her backing singers. I also remember joining Woodcraft at Rainbow Forge for a while but my enthusiam soon waned when I realised there didn't seem to be many/if any boys there. I also remember going scromping and cutting my leg on barbed wire on top of the orchard wall next to the village school on the way back from Bluebell Woods. There's all new houses down there now - what a shame. The bluebells were a sight to behold! I still have the scar.

Hi Memarie - I don't think there is any chance of Zakes putting in an appearance as (a) it seems he now lives in Beijing and (b) I think he likes to remain an international man of mystery. Furthermore I think it might shatter his illusions by meeting in the flesh after all these years.

However, I have been trying to find out his real name (intriguing) but was a little disappointed to see that I wasn't his only dream girl back then. In fact, reading his past threads and posts they are littered with references to girls he 'fancied'. His memory is quite extraordinary though and he is certainly entertaining - takes you right back to those times.

I lived at 45 Delves Road and our back garden looked onto the park/playground which was opposite Rainbow Forge school. I lived between Christine Hancock (who once accused my of trying to strangle her when we'd had a fall out - drama queen) and Bonita & Frank Glover. I remember playing with lots of kids from the Rainbow Avenue area and one girl in particular (who's name escapes me) came from an Italian family. At least I always thought they were Italian, they all had dark curly hair, but now I've heard the name Townsend it seems to ring a bell (not very Italian). We were determined we were going to go on Opportunity Knocks and rehearsed My Boy Lollipop for weeks - she was Millie and me and another girl (no idea who) were her backing singers. I also remember joining Woodcraft at Rainbow Forge for a while but my enthusiam soon waned when I realised there didn't seem to be many/if any boys there. I also remember going scromping and cutting my leg on barbed wire on top of the orchard wall next to the village school on the way back from Bluebell Woods. There's all new houses down there now - what a shame. The bluebells were a sight to behold! I still have the scar.

That Italian family might be the Pagiossi family whose kids attended City School

Anyone remember the sisters Elizabeth and Ann Piggott?

Hey Zakes, I remember the Mum, Elizabeth, and Ita and Ann, the sisters.

Why? More memories coming on. Love reading aabout your escapades.

Memarie Laine

Zakes, you mentioned in one of your previous posts that you were back in Blighty July/August, when you would rummage out some old photo's to put on here. I hope you will still be able to. I know how busy things get when you return from abroad, everyone wants to see you, but you are the one that does the running around, or am i wrong in your case ?

Memari Laine.

Just wondered if anyone knew the greatbach family,lived on rainbow avenue late 60s to mid 80s.

Just wondered if anyone knew the greatbach family,lived on rainbow avenue late 60s to mid 80s.

Name rings a bell Gazza, but at my age memory is cloudy, my brother and his family lived on there until his death 6 years ago.