Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

yes ilived on carter lodge ave from 1953 to 1964 at number 23 i think the grreen family lived next door to the humphreys across the road. mr green drove a lorry which he used to park on the road. my name is mick ellison aged 61. i dont think the estate was built in 1950 as we moved in from new in1953 but the name green sticks in my mind as does the lorry

i moved into number 23 around 1967/68 with my mum and dad john and Betty cropper and my brother stephen mum and dad still live there

Just found this post. Bill Burdett and I were an item back in the 60's. I often wonder what happened to him and his family, Mum, Dad, Julie and Andrew. Perhaps if you see him again you could tell him. My name was Skinner then.

Hi,

I'm Bill's niece, Julie's daughter. My mum would love to get in touch with you Linda. Please PM me for her contact details.

Liz

Hello, i've just spent ages reading this forum, it's fascinating !! I was born on Cotleigh Avenue in 1957, my name was Marie Jackson, mum was Ivy (died in 1986) and Dad was Lawrence (Lol was his nickname - died in 1966) I have 2 brothers, Ira and Roger and had another brother Michael who died in 1959 when he was only 16. We lived opposite the Burdett family and the Dawson family and next door to the Wests. I have a photo of me and Andrew Burdett on a beach somewhere when i was about 6 !

When i was 9 we did an exchange and moved to Carr Forge Mount where i stayed until i went to work in Torquay when i was 16. I went to Birley Spa Juniors then to Thornbridge Grammar school. My brother Roger went to Carter Lodge and Ira to Thornbridge. My dad used to help out in the bookies office behind the Sportsman and my mum used to work behind the bar there, i remember going into the off-licence bit at the back and waiting for her to finish work, we used to get a small plastic bag with a pickled onion in, a triangle of cheese and 2 cream crackers !! I used to play with David Disney, PC Disneys son ?

My brother Ira married Linda Brownhill who lived on Occupation Lane and they now live in Birmingham, my brother Roger still lives in Halfway as far as i know, i havent heard from him for a long time.

I remember the Lees from Carr Forge and Mrs Varty, can't remember where she lived though, anyone help me out there ? I remember playing in Birley Spa Woods and catching sticklebacks with a net and a jam jar. I also remember walking to school from Cotleigh to Birley Spa when i was 5 ! Innocent times eh ?

Reading all this has brought back so many memories, especially Howards Bike shop, Elams newsagents, the co-op, the post office and Spencers farm, does anyone remember a button factory in the village ? I seem to remember collecting the bits of mother of pearl left behind ? I was christened at the Methodist Church which was demolished, i was 4 when i was christened so i remember walking up the aisle !

Hello, i've just spent ages reading this forum, it's fascinating !! I was born on Cotleigh Avenue in 1957, my name was Marie Jackson, mum was Ivy (died in 1986) and Dad was Lawrence (Lol was his nickname - died in 1966) I have 2 brothers, Ira and Roger and had another brother Michael who died in 1959 when he was only 16. We lived opposite the Burdett family and the Dawson family and next door to the Wests. I have a photo of me and Andrew Burdett on a beach somewhere when i was about 6 !

When i was 9 we did an exchange and moved to Carr Forge Mount where i stayed until i went to work in Torquay when i was 16. I went to Birley Spa Juniors then to Thornbridge Grammar school. My brother Roger went to Carter Lodge and Ira to Thornbridge. My dad used to help out in the bookies office behind the Sportsman and my mum used to work behind the bar there, i remember going into the off-licence bit at the back and waiting for her to finish work, we used to get a small plastic bag with a pickled onion in, a triangle of cheese and 2 cream crackers !! I used to play with David Disney, PC Disneys son ?

My brother Ira married Linda Brownhill who lived on Occupation Lane and they now live in Birmingham, my brother Roger still lives in Halfway as far as i know, i havent heard from him for a long time.

I remember the Lees from Carr Forge and Mrs Varty, can't remember where she lived though, anyone help me out there ? I remember playing in Birley Spa Woods and catching sticklebacks with a net and a jam jar. I also remember walking to school from Cotleigh to Birley Spa when i was 5 ! Innocent times eh ?

Reading all this has brought back so many memories, especially Howards Bike shop, Elams newsagents, the co-op, the post office and Spencers farm, does anyone remember a button factory in the village ? I seem to remember collecting the bits of mother of pearl left behind ? I was christened at the Methodist Church which was demolished, i was 4 when i was christened so i remember walking up the aisle !

I remember Mrs. Varty, the mad old cat woman, very well spoken but us kids always thought she was a witch! Very eccentric but a heart of gold!! She lived in the end house of Carter Lodge Place, where it meets Carr Forge Road. She'd often invite kids in for pop and biscuits and to play with her hundreds of kittens.

I too remember the button factory. Couldn't walk past it without collecting bits of mother of pearl.

Heaven knows though, what I did with them once I got them home.

On the field opposite the factory, I remember there used to be some sort of fete/fair held every year.

Such innocent happy times to be had as a child in those days.

dose anyone know this name? if so you know one of my family! i was born in hackenthorp dyke vale close, in 1971 dont know when my family frist moved there. Mum Dorothy, Dad Leslie Bro & sis Heather, Davied, John, Caroline & me Michelle.

I lived on Dyke vale close, No.22 Im sure we had a Heather who lived next door to us.

Hackenthorpe And Zakes. Part 13.

Here are some scraps left from my Hackenthorpe da(ys)ze.

1. Call me crazy and you could be right. I recently came to Hackenthorpe again to go down 'Memory Lane' (but I couldn't find it). I made my way to Spa View Way and then to Spa View Terrace, and walked along them. Why? You don't know? Well, i'll tell ya. These addresses were the last two I had yet to set foot on from the original red brick council (corporation) house estates in Sheffield 12. "Big deal, Wilbur" I hear you say, but it's an achievement. Hard to believe, but true!

2. In which year(s) were Scowerdon and Weakland estates built? Exact year please.

3. Where was the cobbler situated in the 60's in Hackenthorpe?

4. Has anyone heard of Hackley FC? Hack(enthorpe)-(Bir)ley - please give info. Where did they play their home games?

5. Circa 1963-64 in Main Street there was a black stone brick house or hall with the roof caved in and two outer walls knocked down with the bricks inside on the floor. We young 'uns thought a wicked witch lived in it making us nervously cautious. Next to this house was a small green lane-let with two or three small but bushy trees, and in one of the trees nested an albino blackbird! All of this was roughly opposite The Sportsman pub. Any info. please.

6. Anybody remember putting playing cards, or other bits of card between the spokes of their bikes to make the clicking noise, to let everybody know you were out and about?

7. Recently walking up to the top of Brook Lane I looked over Sheffield Road. To the left and outside Inkersall House are two massive pine like trees, they are sheer beauty, I remeber them from when I was a lad. Have you seen them?

8. If you walk from Inkersall House towards Beighton Road, and look over the wall about 50 yards before Main Street, you will see a 10ft by 10ft square of ivy covering a building, what is that building? It's about 10 yards over the wall.

9. To OurLass82, is the John Hatch you speak (type) of, the one who lived on Carter Lodge Walk? There were the Hatch brothers (John, Mick, Brian)? there, and their back garden backed on to the playing field at the end of Carter Lodge Drive.

10. Know any of these families? 60's.

Carter Lodge Avenue- Fairfax, Polland, Gledhill, Ludlam, Harrison, Drabble, Fairey, Wilson, Mallinson, Glossop.

Carter Lodge Rise - Sunderland, Gudgeon, Fordham, Coulson

Carr Forge Mount - Smith, George, Dandy

Cotleigh Close - Sykes (Jean)

Cotleigh Avenue - Zuidmuldar, Flinders (possible distant relatives of mine)

Carter Lodge Drive - Muscroft, Baggley, Guy, Hodgson, Clifford, Pearson

11. When it came to scromping I was highly successful, although I sometimes got caught. If I targeted fruit, I would get my hands on it every time. Whether I would be taking it home or not was another matter. Lol. There was only one place in my scromping days where I didn't get to touch the fruit, and that was at The Sportsman pub that was run by Mr and Mrs Watson at the time. The Watsons had a gaggle of geese that were ever alert. I must have tried at least a dozen times to get my hands on some juicy looking cooking apples over the wall behind the pub. Why couldn't they have been a bloody skein of geese?! Damned trunting things!!!

12. When us lads played football on that field at the end of Carter Lodge Drive in the early 60's, we would take turns to badger our dads to buy a new football (plastic). When it was my turn I would get a ball pretty sharpish (anything to keep me quiet). The cost of the ball would be deducted from my spending (pocket) money for the next few weeks until it was paid for. This meant less spice from the mobile shop on Fridays and less comics from Elams, drat!

When I wanted my mates to come out to play football at weekends, I didn't have to trek up or down their paths to knock on their doors. I didn't have to phone or use walkie talkies, nor did I have to send carrier pigeons. I would simply walk along Carter Lodge Avenue, down Carter Lodge Rise and along Carter Lodge Drive all the while bouncing the ball. Bouncing the ball on the road made a dull sound and was quite useless, it was bes tot bounce it on the flagstoned paths because that made a load hollow (echoy) sound and that worked a treat. It was like a type of mating call. I sometimes felt like the bloody pied piper aus Hameln.

Lads would also come from lower down on the estate too. People like S.White, P.Norton, T.Locke, J.COckayne, Ago(go-go) etc. They didn't hear the ball bouncing, they probably remembered what times we usually played.

13. Anyone remember - Inspector Proby, Sargeant Raisen - one eye, blank one?

My best leisure times in childhood were without doubt in Hackenthorpe.

Zakes.

I knew the Smith family of Carr Forge Mount but the last time I saw them was in the 1960s. Any idea what happened to them.

They were frirnds of my parents.

Edited by harvey19

Yes! we used to find old ciggy packets and put them on the back wheels. Used to go to school with Andy? Coulson, Phil Drabble,Ian? Malinson, Michael Fairey. There's some late 50's early 60's Carter Lodge form photo's on Friends Reunited.

Hackenthorpe And Zakes. Part 13.[/b

2. In which year(s) were Scowerdon and Weakland estates built? Exact year please

We were one of the 1st family's to move into house on Weakland estate where paths and roads still had'nt been laid 26th Sept 1966

10. Know any of these families? 60's.

Carter Lodge Avenue- Fairfax, Polland, Gledhill, Ludlam, Harrison, Drabble, Fairey, Wilson, Mallinson, Glossop.

Carter Lodge Rise - Sunderland, Gudgeon, Fordham, Coulson

Carr Forge Mount - Smith, George, Dandy

Cotleigh Close - Sykes (Jean)

Cotleigh Avenue - Zuidmuldar, Flinders (possible distant relatives of mine)

Carter Lodge Drive - Muscroft, Baggley, Guy, Hodgson, Clifford, Pearson

I worked briefly with a girl called Olaga Flinders in 70s at Gowers and Burgins and I believe 2 of her brothers worked at fruit shop Birley Spa Lane

hello John, Bill Burdett is my older brother and we lived at 26 Cotleigh Ave until my mum passed away in November 2009. Bill now lives in Cotleigh Crescent now and you will find him in the Sportsman most lunch times.

I was talking to Bill Burdett in the Blue Bell this week and he says he would love to hear from you. He lives .at 26 Cotleigh Avenue and his phone number is 248 6014.

:P:P:P:P:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hello Linda, this is Andrew Burdett Bill,s little brother. I remember you well as a lovely girl when you were with Bill. Both my mum and dad have very sadly passed away now and Bill is living in a flat on Cotleigh Crescent. You can find him in the Sportsman any lunchtime. My sister Julie lives in Killamarsh with her husband Dennis and I now live in a village called Great Coates just outside of Grimsby with my wife we have been married 9 years now. It would be lovely to hear from you Linda. Hope you are well. Sadly we also lost Jo my neice 3 years ago to a brain haemorraghe. It would be really nice to hear from you and where you,re at in your life.
Just found this post. Bill Burdett and I were an item back in the 60's. I often wonder what happened to him and his family, Mum, Dad, Julie and Andrew. Perhaps if you see him again you could tell him. My name was Skinner then.