Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

in the late50s and early 60s there were no shops on birley spa lane only a wooden hut where the bus stop is.it was owned by harry ellam and his wife.when the shops were being built we used to play football infront of them untill one evening PCSpears caught us and because i was the tallest(not oldest) he clipped me round the earhole.when the shops were built ellams moved to where the paper shop is now.it was managed by miles cooper.they also opened a butchers shop.Howards cycle shop moved to where the betting shop is now.where the club was there was a farm with pig;s in the field. the other side of well lane there was also a farm where the flats are.on the other side of the road where the the doctors and chemist is there were barns and behind them there was an orchard which we called paradise.next on was the methordist church which was knocked down about 1963 and moved near plover pub.I played football for the meths in the church boys league(under14).names i remember are Daryl Bower/Paul Else/Masters twins/Dave Watson/Paul wilson(who became the village blacksmith)/Bob Kay and Frank Bonnington who played in glasses

I remember spending most of my time in hackenthorpe i used to go to my grandad & grandma's house every weekend and school holidays, used to love it there, havent been in years. They used to live on Albert Road.

Does anyone remember Kathleen Moore or Michael Plunkett off Rainbow Crescent. Thanks.

We lived at 48 Rainbow Avenue from about 1954. Next door were the Smiths across the road the Goff's, and Colgrave's. Also nearby the Smedley's. Well remember the paraffin man and the mobile shop. I first went to Renishaw school then Rainbow Forge and Carter Lodge. Does anyone remember the button factory? We used to walk over to Woodhouse past the old pit. Also remember the village PC, caught me smoking and I also got a clip round the ear as well as having to throw the cigs away!

My dad had a motor bike but he had to walk half a mile to get it from the garage every morning. Mum died in 1959 we left and went to the Manor in 1960 to Fairfax Road.

Edited by scallywags
corrections

anyone remember HOWARDS cycle shop where crown carpets is now on Main street.Beighton wheelers used to meet outside on a sunday morning and go for a ride. just past howards was a row off terraced houses that were knocked down in the mid 60;s.on other side of road were the 2 pubs that are there now SPORTSMAN and BLUE BELL. BLUE BELL for the younger end and SPORTSMAN for older end. the SPORTSMAN was the 1st pub in hacky to have coloured tv We used to go in on a monday night to watch HIGH CHAPPERELL(cowboy) in colour.The BELL used to have groups on about 3nights a week.Some groups i remember are BLACK ABBOTTS/VANTANAS/WOLVES/DR.CROCK and the CRACKPOTS/FORTUNES and SEARCHERS.Just passed the bell was spencers farm and on the other side was STANIFORTHS WORKS.they made sythes and there were a lot of little mesters working where the cafe and hairdresses are.round the back was a pond(still there) where we used to climb over wall and look at the sythes.At the end of MAIN STREET were the vets is now used to be the village blacksmiths were you watch him shoe horses.Next door was a pub called NEW INN which had stables at the back.does anyone remember these!

sorry remember edith and jack gelsthorpe

I remember them both from hacky club.Ialso remember there son HAROLD.Did;t one of there drown in birley spa pond? Alovely couple

hi yeah its my nan and grandad harold is my uncle

Edited by kirsty987

Anyone remember a family on Carr Forge Mount in the 1950/60s and maybe later.

The father was Albert, mother Beatrice and children Jackie and George.

It is, i grew up just down the road from there-Carr Forge Walk, my surname was Senior and i have very fond memories of Hackenthorpe.

I remember your family.

I lived on Rainbow Avenue in one of the houses with the triangular ‘green’ in front of them.

When I went back to Sheffield a few years ago, I just had to have a look at where I used to live.

I was surprised to see the flat green was now a lumpy with trees on it.

We girls from the Downend, Spotswood & Lunney families spent many happy hours doing handstands and cartwheels on that green.

I should have included the name O'Connor (Julie) along with the Downend, Spotswood & Lunney families.

Edited by evensus

I'm Julie I was friends with Jean in the 50's. There was Jean, Linda and Phillip in those days. I lived on Rainbow Avenue. How is Jean. Please send her my regards.

Are you Julie O'Connor?

If so, I lived next door to you at number 12.