Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 22.

(1). I never wanted to be the ringleader but that’s what I became because I was the one with the ideas. I knew by having the same set of lads we would become unstuck and get caught from time to time. I rotated the squad like football managers would many, many years later. It was me and only me who started that system lol. When I went on scrimping adventures I needed to have bright eyed and bushy tailed types with me. There was no room for stale complacement men, and there certainly was no place for banana custard yellowy types. I preferred to scromp in a threesome, two do’ers and a lookout. There was nine of us all told, seven regulars and two reserves. We did our scromping for love and not for money. We may have swiped the odd everlasting strip or two, or perhaps a comic or two. We may also have put through a window or two as well but all in all we innocently went about our business. The people we despised most were teachers, burglars and coppers, thrown in with a few bread delivery men and the odd vendor of ice cream. I did Recce’s on my own, solo without assistance. I would wander around the estate in a slow and relaxed way taking casual glances up or down pathways. Sometimes I would walk up a path to see what fruit was on offer in the back garden and if I was met by any of the householder’s I would just ask if they had any windfalls to give away. More about this later.

(2). Do any of you know these names? – I do.

June Tween – Rainbow Ave.

Robert Maycock – Springwater Cl.

Martin Wragg – Carter Lodge Ave.

Glyn Sills – Birley Spa Ln.

Patricia Millington – Carr Forge Close

Timothy Conroy – Springwater Ave.

(3). Remember free school milk? When we had those very cold winters in the 60’s, I recall our milk at Birley Spa Juniors was often frozen in the bottle. I used to try to thaw it out between my mittened or begloved hands to no avail.

(4). When I wanted peace and quiet or had the face on, I went to my bedroom or I’d go to the church grounds on Sheffield Road. It was really tranquil at the church and I remember the strong smell of incense which was so aromatic. The grounds were surrounded by thorny Hawthorn, Holly and Sycamore and was a wonderful retreat.

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 22.

(1). I never wanted to be the ringleader but that’s what I became because I was the one with the ideas. I knew by having the same set of lads we would become unstuck and get caught from time to time. I rotated the squad like football managers would many, many years later. It was me and only me who started that system lol. When I went on scrimping adventures I needed to have bright eyed and bushy tailed types with me. There was no room for stale complacement men, and there certainly was no place for banana custard yellowy types. I preferred to scromp in a threesome, two do’ers and a lookout. There was nine of us all told, seven regulars and two reserves. We did our scromping for love and not for money. We may have swiped the odd everlasting strip or two, or perhaps a comic or two. We may also have put through a window or two as well but all in all we innocently went about our business. The people we despised most were teachers, burglars and coppers, thrown in with a few bread delivery men and the odd vendor of ice cream. I did Recce’s on my own, solo without assistance. I would wander around the estate in a slow and relaxed way taking casual glances up or down pathways. Sometimes I would walk up a path to see what fruit was on offer in the back garden and if I was met by any of the householder’s I would just ask if they had any windfalls to give away. More about this later.

(2). Do any of you know these names? – I do.

June Tween – Rainbow Ave.

Robert Maycock – Springwater Cl.

Martin Wragg – Carter Lodge Ave.

Glyn Sills – Birley Spa Ln.

Patricia Millington – Carr Forge Close

Timothy Conroy – Springwater Ave.

(3). Remember free school milk? When we had those very cold winters in the 60’s, I recall our milk at Birley Spa Juniors was often frozen in the bottle. I used to try to thaw it out between my mittened or begloved hands to no avail.

(4). When I wanted peace and quiet or had the face on, I went to my bedroom or I’d go to the church grounds on Sheffield Road. It was really tranquil at the church and I remember the strong smell of incense which was so aromatic. The grounds were surrounded by thorny Hawthorn, Holly and Sycamore and was a wonderful retreat.

Oh Zakes you make me laugh:hihi:Anne Maris nee Chamberlain brothers Michael, Phillip,John, Dougie sister jennifer wed to Tony Maris xx

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 23.

I you come down Birley Spa Lane then take a left turn into Carter Lodge Avenue you will see immediately on the left a green grassy area containing lots of bushy bushes and plants. Opposite are eight houses (4 detached), of which 7 are classed as Carter Lodge Avenue and one as Birley Spa Lane. If you the reader, disbelieve me as I suspect you do, put your duffel coat on and go take a look if you live nearby. When you get back send a post of apology ASAP, or will you quietly disappear into the crowd? I bet most people who have lived on Carter Lodge Avenue didn’t know about the end house being classed as being on Birley Spa Lane. Some will say they knew (fibbers), and most will say “Who cares?” Well, I ruddy well care and so should you. hOuses have feelings just like you and me! Next time you pass that house give it a smile, bow or wave and show you care. You will make it feel much better.

Some people on Carter Lodge Avenue I knew during my time there as a nipper 1959-65.

Glossops – 2 or 4

Wilsons – 12

Mallinsons – 14

Fairfaxs – 24

Pollards – 26

Masons – 38

Faireys – 5

Ludlums – 7

Drabbles – 27(?)

Wraggs – 35

Harrisons - ? even nr.

Gleadhill - ? even nr.

- and others.

I got barred in 64-65 from the Rex flicks with Peter Gle(a)dhill, so there.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the green area opposite the houses was surrounded on three sides by road and one side by a series of small steps 25-30 in all. When I first saw this steep green patch it didn’t have bushes or plants on it. In the cold white winters of the early 60’s we used to spend many hours sledging and snowballing there. When the weather was warmer months later we young ‘uns played football and French cricket on it. When us boys were elsewhere (scrimping) the girls would come out to play on this green field to play rounders or compete in a poggy pogo stick competition and other such boring pastimes. Those fun days on the patch atween Birley Spa Lane and Carter Lodge Avenue were soon to be coming to an end because ……

At the top of the series of steps lived a woman in the first house (127 Birley Spa Lane) called Mrs Watson. She wasn’t as far as I knew related to the Watson’s who ran the Sportsman pub on Main Street, nor was she related to a lad called Ronald Watson who lived higher up on Birley Spa Lane. This Mrs Watson was a loud throated cowbag who used to shout at us children to clear off to where we belonged. She would stand at her doorway in fluffy slippers and jab her walking stick at us to give extra power to her shouted words. “Go on clear off, I know where you live. I’ll have the police on yer.” The constant gobbiness of killjoy Mrs Watson went on for years, and during that time, I got to thinking ‘how it was possible for her to see us playing lower down to where we were’.

If she was sat in the back of her house she wouldn’t have been able to see us if her sitting furniture was of regulation height, whether it be an armchair, tuffet, rocking chair, piano stool or even a Swiss salamander skin settee. All she would be able to see would be the roofs of houses on Carter Lodge Avenue, the woeful sight of Woodhouse on the far horizon, the occasional Albatross or Bald Eagle gliding by, or on special occasions like birthdays or bank holidays, a multi coloured hot air balloon complete with hamper basket aneath drifting by. My conclusion was Mrs Watson was stood in her kitchen with a single lensed telescope willfully waiting for us to turn up to play.

Mrs Watson got her way in the end because the Corporation men came to our grassy green patch and hammered into the ground a small sign saying No Ball Games. At first we continued to play football there and would use the new sign as a goalpost if we were short of a jumper. It seemed Mrs Watson must have reported us again because the Corporation men returned, dug up a large of our patch then planted them bushes and plants. They did the same thing 50 yards further into Carter Lodge Avenue and in other places around our Hackenthorpe estate.

Family Zakes left the estate in late ’65 and I never got to see the bushes get big and bushy. I did later often wonder whether those bushes would offer the perfect cover for mankin’ mankers, of all age groups. I wouldn’t mind betting that the telescope owning Mrs Watson didn’t sleep much then……By choice!

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 05:15 ----------

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 24.

1. I recall one year in the early 60’s I got for Christmas a track suit in Lev Yashin black. It looked exactly like one of them that Walter Winterbottom used to wear, which was elasticated at the cuffs and at the bottom of the legs. I also got a football too, as well to boot. I went out into the freezing cold morning air on Christmas Day with the new trackie and ball and kicked about for a good half hour forth and back along Carter Lodge Drive. It was wasted time because nobody came out to play with me. Mardy bums.

Back in the house again I turned my attention to my second present which was a shooting gallery. This was a wire stand with a thin bar across the top (like a bar where gymnastic gymnasts swing around and around then jump off). Along the bar were 6 fixed hard plastic crows and each was a different colour. To complete the set there was a rifle that had a long piece of string attached to it with a cork on the end. The idea was to shoot at the crows which would spin on the bar if you hit one. The crows, that didn’t caw were purple, orange, black, green, white and blue.

After 20 minutes of shooting I then decided to make a start on my selection box (the contents), and a glazed pink pg made of marzipan. It was impossible to bite into the pig so I just scraped (gnawed) away at it with me teeth. The pig lasted for several days.

2. The following Xmas I was given as my main prezzy a safari outfit and a flashy torch, but no rifle. The safari suit was a big buttoned shirt with epaulettes at the shoulders and the trousers were trousers, and both were off buff coloured. The hard plastic safari hat and the suede leather boots were also in the same colour. When I first donned the outfit I felt like Abbott and Costello who wore similar garb in a film I’d scene previously. The torch was shaped like a mini periscope, and with a press of a finger I could shine the torch in my choice of colour. It could shine in red, blue, green, and white, but not in black.

Later when me mum was in the kitchen preparing Christmas din dins and listening to carols on the wireless, I was striding around the house (inside) fully kitted out on patrol. I could have sworn I heard between O’Tannenbaum and Hark the Herald blah, blah, blah, Bert Kaempfert’s Afrikaan Beat startin’ up, or was it Jungle Bells?

My second present was a rocket launcher and the family Zakes’ living room ceiling took a reight bashing that year. The toy was a square base 8” by 8” approx, and the idea was to launch a rocket. The rocket was slightly triangular in shape and about 6” long and looked like one of those ice rocket lolly’s you could get from the ice cream van (but not in winter). The phallic shaped rocket was fixed erect onto the launch pad, then with a continual back and forth movement of the hand whilst gripping the joystick at the same time the pressure would build up. When the required tension was reached it would be released by pressing a button making the rocket shoot off causing damage to the ceiling followed by a white sprinkling on to the carpet……from the plastering.

After 20 exhausting minutes of rocket launching I washed my hands then made a start on my selection box (the contents), and you’ve guessed it……My glazed pink pig made of marzipan. Ugh.

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 23.

I you come down Birley Spa Lane then take a left turn into Carter Lodge Avenue you will see immediately on the left a green grassy area containing lots of bushy bushes and plants. Opposite are eight houses (4 detached), of which 7 are classed as Carter Lodge Avenue and one as Birley Spa Lane. If you the reader, disbelieve me as I suspect you do, put your duffel coat on and go take a look if you live nearby. When you get back send a post of apology ASAP, or will you quietly disappear into the crowd? I bet most people who have lived on Carter Lodge Avenue didn’t know about the end house being classed as being on Birley Spa Lane. Some will say they knew (fibbers), and most will say “Who cares?” Well, I ruddy well care and so should you. hOuses have feelings just like you and me! Next time you pass that house give it a smile, bow or wave and show you care. You will make it feel much better.

Some people on Carter Lodge Avenue I knew during my time there as a nipper 1959-65.

Glossops – 2 or 4

Wilsons – 12

Mallinsons – 14

Fairfaxs – 24

Pollards – 26

Masons – 38

Faireys – 5

Ludlums – 7

Drabbles – 27(?)

Wraggs – 35

Harrisons - ? even nr.

Gleadhill - ? even nr.

- and others.

I got barred in 64-65 from the Rex flicks with Peter Gle(a)dhill, so there.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the green area opposite the houses was surrounded on three sides by road and one side by a series of small steps 25-30 in all. When I first saw this steep green patch it didn’t have bushes or plants on it. In the cold white winters of the early 60’s we used to spend many hours sledging and snowballing there. When the weather was warmer months later we young ‘uns played football and French cricket on it. When us boys were elsewhere (scrimping) the girls would come out to play on this green field to play rounders or compete in a poggy pogo stick competition and other such boring pastimes. Those fun days on the patch atween Birley Spa Lane and Carter Lodge Avenue were soon to be coming to an end because ……

At the top of the series of steps lived a woman in the first house (127 Birley Spa Lane) called Mrs Watson. She wasn’t as far as I knew related to the Watson’s who ran the Sportsman pub on Main Street, nor was she related to a lad called Ronald Watson who lived higher up on Birley Spa Lane. This Mrs Watson was a loud throated cowbag who used to shout at us children to clear off to where we belonged. She would stand at her doorway in fluffy slippers and jab her walking stick at us to give extra power to her shouted words. “Go on clear off, I know where you live. I’ll have the police on yer.” The constant gobbiness of killjoy Mrs Watson went on for years, and during that time, I got to thinking ‘how it was possible for her to see us playing lower down to where we were’.

If she was sat in the back of her house she wouldn’t have been able to see us if her sitting furniture was of regulation height, whether it be an armchair, tuffet, rocking chair, piano stool or even a Swiss salamander skin settee. All she would be able to see would be the roofs of houses on Carter Lodge Avenue, the woeful sight of Woodhouse on the far horizon, the occasional Albatross or Bald Eagle gliding by, or on special occasions like birthdays or bank holidays, a multi coloured hot air balloon complete with hamper basket aneath drifting by. My conclusion was Mrs Watson was stood in her kitchen with a single lensed telescope willfully waiting for us to turn up to play.

Mrs Watson got her way in the end because the Corporation men came to our grassy green patch and hammered into the ground a small sign saying No Ball Games. At first we continued to play football there and would use the new sign as a goalpost if we were short of a jumper. It seemed Mrs Watson must have reported us again because the Corporation men returned, dug up a large of our patch then planted them bushes and plants. They did the same thing 50 yards further into Carter Lodge Avenue and in other places around our Hackenthorpe estate.

Family Zakes left the estate in late ’65 and I never got to see the bushes get big and bushy. I did later often wonder whether those bushes would offer the perfect cover for mankin’ mankers, of all age groups. I wouldn’t mind betting that the telescope owning Mrs Watson didn’t sleep much then……By choice!

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 05:15 ----------

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 24.

1. I recall one year in the early 60’s I got for Christmas a track suit in Lev Yashin black. It looked exactly like one of them that Walter Winterbottom used to wear, which was elasticated at the cuffs and at the bottom of the legs. I also got a football too, as well to boot. I went out into the freezing cold morning air on Christmas Day with the new trackie and ball and kicked about for a good half hour forth and back along Carter Lodge Drive. It was wasted time because nobody came out to play with me. Mardy bums.

Back in the house again I turned my attention to my second present which was a shooting gallery. This was a wire stand with a thin bar across the top (like a bar where gymnastic gymnasts swing around and around then jump off). Along the bar were 6 fixed hard plastic crows and each was a different colour. To complete the set there was a rifle that had a long piece of string attached to it with a cork on the end. The idea was to shoot at the crows which would spin on the bar if you hit one. The crows, that didn’t caw were purple, orange, black, green, white and blue.

After 20 minutes of shooting I then decided to make a start on my selection box (the contents), and a glazed pink pg made of marzipan. It was impossible to bite into the pig so I just scraped (gnawed) away at it with me teeth. The pig lasted for several days.

2. The following Xmas I was given as my main prezzy a safari outfit and a flashy torch, but no rifle. The safari suit was a big buttoned shirt with epaulettes at the shoulders and the trousers were trousers, and both were off buff coloured. The hard plastic safari hat and the suede leather boots were also in the same colour. When I first donned the outfit I felt like Abbott and Costello who wore similar garb in a film I’d scene previously. The torch was shaped like a mini periscope, and with a press of a finger I could shine the torch in my choice of colour. It could shine in red, blue, green, and white, but not in black.

Later when me mum was in the kitchen preparing Christmas din dins and listening to carols on the wireless, I was striding around the house (inside) fully kitted out on patrol. I could have sworn I heard between O’Tannenbaum and Hark the Herald blah, blah, blah, Bert Kaempfert’s Afrikaan Beat startin’ up, or was it Jungle Bells?

My second present was a rocket launcher and the family Zakes’ living room ceiling took a reight bashing that year. The toy was a square base 8” by 8” approx, and the idea was to launch a rocket. The rocket was slightly triangular in shape and about 6” long and looked like one of those ice rocket lolly’s you could get from the ice cream van (but not in winter). The phallic shaped rocket was fixed erect onto the launch pad, then with a continual back and forth movement of the hand whilst gripping the joystick at the same time the pressure would build up. When the required tension was reached it would be released by pressing a button making the rocket shoot off causing damage to the ceiling followed by a white sprinkling on to the carpet……from the plastering.

After 20 exhausting minutes of rocket launching I washed my hands then made a start on my selection box (the contents), and you’ve guessed it……My glazed pink pig made of marzipan. Ugh.

Then you left school to become a writer LOL

Are there any posters on this thread who attended Carter Lodge from 1955 to 1960?

Hi Evensus, I was there from 1958 - 1961, in classes 1A1, 2A1 & 3A1, I,ve seen a couple of names I remember but that,s all.

Hi Zakes, just seen your photos, they are brilliant. If i get brave enough, might dig out some old Hackenthorpe pics, just wish had some from Carter Lodge. Bye the way, you look cuter than your escapades led me to believe, is that how you scraped through, the cheeky grin !!?

If you look to the thread COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS, you will see more pics.

Remember lots of names like the lees and Glyn Sills and Danny Spokes.We were sweethearts in the infants!I lived on Dyke Vale Place.New Andrew Stervenson and Anne Broughton.Shirley Smith was a lovely friend at the time.Dont see any of them now.(was Jeanne Cook)

Looking to contact some old friends bit difficult as i only know there maiden name.Joan Stafford who lived on the main road near the Hogs Head had a older brother called John , Elaine Battersby i think she lived on Rainbow Grove and Lydia Webster who lived around 175 to 185 Birley Spa Lane

Looking to contact some old friends bit difficult as i only know there maiden name.Joan Stafford who lived on the main road near the Hogs Head had a older brother called John , Elaine Battersby i think she lived on Rainbow Grove and Lydia Webster who lived around 175 to 185 Birley Spa Lane

We lived next door to the Staffords, Hogs Head side. T'other side were the Pages, then me mate Mick Darwent.

I don't know what happened to them, we left in the late 60's, their mum and dad were still alive then.