Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I knew Denise Naylor, she lived across the road from me in the 60s, Carr Forge Close, next door to Birdie, Neil Burgess.

I used to manage the Sportsman Pub in Hackenthorpe

I used to manage the Sportsman Pub in Hackenthorpe

when was this ?

Anyone from Jermyn Avenue, we lived there until 1990 ish, Collins family

in the late50s and early 60s there were no shops on birley spa lane only a wooden hut where the bus stop is.it was owned by harry ellam and his wife.when the shops were being built we used to play football infront of them untill one evening PCSpears caught us and because i was the tallest(not oldest) he clipped me round the earhole.when the shops were built ellams moved to where the paper shop is now.it was managed by miles cooper.they also opened a butchers shop.Howards cycle shop moved to where the betting shop is now.where the club was there was a farm with pig;s in the field. the other side of well lane there was also a farm where the flats are.on the other side of the road where the the doctors and chemist is there were barns and behind them there was an orchard which we called paradise.next on was the methordist church which was knocked down about 1963 and moved near plover pub.I played football for the meths in the church boys league(under14).names i remember are Daryl Bower/Paul Else/Masters twins/Dave Watson/Paul wilson(who became the village blacksmith)/Bob Kay and Frank Bonnington who played in glasses[/quote I am sister to the late Frank Bonnington,of spa view drive,I have a photograph of the football team with my brother wearing his glasses,the only name I can remember stood next to Frank is Charlie Mills]

Anybody From Hackenthorpe?

Hackenthorpe And Zakes. Part 60? A light hearted view.

I lived from the age of 6 at Hackenthorpe, and we moved away when I was almost 12. We moved to the Vic Hallam houses on the newly built Newstead Estate, at lower Birley. I was often told by a pupil at my new school, that the Vic Hallam houses weren’t real houses, but pigeon huts. The pupil eventually ceased reminding me of this after he received a present from me, a black eye. He had times many been warned not to overdo the taunting.

Anyrooad, during my time on Hackenthorpe in the early 60’s, I had a jolly good time. There were times of pleasure and of pain, plus times of laughter and of tears. I, like any other child, was expected to learn from my mistakes. Mollycoddling certainly wasn’t considered to be helpful in my development. I was an adventurous unyitten lad, and disliked anybody in authority, but was always good to people I liked. Eat, play, learn and sleep was the name of my game. The humility of people is what I remember best. We all seemed to be in the same boat (and some in yachts), and there was no place for envious jealousies.

After some of my pals had passed the 11plus exams, they had suddenly become ‘too good’ to play with us other children. It became a sort of ‘us and them’ situation. It didn’t bother me much though, because we thick ‘uns were in the majority, and the aloof soon to go to Thornbridge Grammar School children, were in the minority. Having not passed the 11plus exam, I was relieved to know I would be booked in at the elite Carter Lodge Secondary School. It was so pleasing to know I would soon to be sporting a very smart dark blue blazer. Whilst sitting the 11plus exam, I had been worried I might pass which would have meant I would have had to wear the phlegm-atic gozz-green blazer of Thornbridge. It was a close call. Phew.

It was never my intention (and still isn’t) to be disparaging towards the ‘fairies’ who went to Thornbridge Grammar, but they were just not like us. We used to get our clothes mucky, they didn’t. They were like Madels… They couldn’t kick a football, or climb a leafy tree. They couldn’t scale a tall wall, nor could they lasso a treestump, or a passing Red Setter. Theyw ere useless at catapulting, sledging, throwing arrows and conkering. The list is endless. They will tell you otherwise, but don’t you believe ‘em. Hackenthorpe children should attend hackenthorpe schools. They should not attend schools on other estates. Always be loyal to your estate, it’s ever loyal to you!

My first Hackenthorpe school was Rainbow Forge Infants. One of my schoolmates was Peter Newton, who lived on Rainbow Avenue, at no. 113. My second Hackenthorpe school was Birley Spa Juniors. One of my school mates was Stephen Coulson, who lived on Carter Lodge Rise, at no. 2. These were two of several ‘friends’ who seemed to quit the scene on passing the 11plus charade, I seldom saw them again. I presumed they must have become housebound. Perhaps they were playing with their Airfix models, their Meccano sets, or maybe with their Compendium of Games. I suspect though, they were busy helping Mummy baking fairy cakes and puff-pastry.

It seemed many youngsters hated to wear school uniforms. They later wanted to work in practical jobs… Firemen, bus drivers, air stewardesses and nurses. Yes, that reight… in jobs where uniforms are worn. Lol.

Meck yer blummin’ minds up. Strewth!

A lighthearted response

Well, I couldn't let this one pass without a reply, me being one of the 'aloof' an' all. My family moved from Mexborough to Hackenthorpe when I was 5 and we lived there for 13 years. I attended the old Village School near Brook Lane, then Rainbow Forge. I think I was a few years ahead of Zakesy and I doubt our paths ever crossed. I never had the 'pleasure' to meet him but I knew his ilk well (not his ink well, I doubt they had them at Birley).

I have thought long and hard about this 'us and them' situation and whilst you described your post as a 'light hearted view' it nevertheless contained many truisms. Birley School (and probably Carter Lodge) did have a large proportion of thugs, Barnsey, Sharpey, Smalley & Fewkesy to name a few, who proved their manhood by - apart from regularly beating up smaller, defenceless, outnumbered Thornbridge kids - climbing leafy trees, scaling tall walls and lassoing treestumps. They suffer from the Robin Hood Syndrome - the lovable rogue, living in some bloody greenwood wilderness, robbing the rich and believing he's performing a public duty.

On this basis, I can't deny the fact that yes, we are somehow different. Like many families who have one son a bricklayer and another son a brain surgeon. They are different but the same and one is no better than the other.

You went to Carter Lodge and became a literary legend. I went to Thornbridge, emigrated to Australia and took my Meccano set with me.

Cheers Zakesy, keep on entertaining us!!

Read through this thread a few times. My own links to this thread are that Frank Bonnington was my dad (RIP) . Wouldn't mind seeing that picture of his old football team because i've

Never seen it. SYL please pass a copy on to Joanne when you see her.

I'm sure he'd be proud today. His Grandson (13) has just signed schoolboy forms with SWFC. I know we, his parents are.

Though it might be a nice contribution to a poignant thread.

Even though it is the OWLS. Lol.

Read through this thread a few times. My own links to this thread are that Frank Bonnington was my dad (RIP) . Wouldn't mind seeing that picture of his old football team because i've

Never seen it. SYL please pass a copy on to Joanne when you see her.

I'm sure he'd be proud today. His Grandson (13) has just signed schoolboy forms with SWFC. I know we, his parents are.

Though it might be a nice contribution to a poignant thread.

Even though it is the OWLS. Lol.

hello there, this one got the old memory cells working. did your dad live at 22 spa view drive? I seem to remember a brother derek? and a sister sylvia? I lived across the road in the mid 1950s.

Anyone from Jermyn Avenue, we lived there until 1990 ish, Collins family

Sorry Colly- dont know if you will see this as it is so late - Mum and Dad and sisters lived at no 20 for about 35 years upto mum dying in 2009

Hi Buddy,

Yeah he did. SYL who posted above is Sylvia.