Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I Lived on Carr Forge Road had a Brother Dougie Chamberlain

and I married Tony Maris off Carr Forge Lane :rant: left years ago and was barred from Blue Bell at 16 for dancing on table LOL

Is Dougie 68? His name rings a bell and I think he may have been in my class at Carter Lodge.

Remember when they cut the corn and we used to make dens with it ooh what fun

Oh I do remember.

I'm just sorry my grandchildren can't experience the freedom we did.

Yes Dougie would have been 68 and was at Carter Lodge but he died aged 45

from working on power stations (asbestos)

Yes Dougie would have been 68 and was at Carter Lodge but he died aged 45

from working on power stations (asbestos)

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

It's so sad to hear of someone dying so young. Life can be so unfair sometimes.

:)

Hackenthorpe and Zakes. Part 14

Hello Marie, I read with interest your memories and hope you have more to tell. It must have been a difficult time for you during your ninth year lady, with the loss of your dad and also moving home. I believe you must have lived in the third house along Cotleigh Avenue and shared the same path with the West's.

(A). The youngest West was Nigel who used to be in my class at Birley Spa Juniors and we spent loads of time together after school and at weekends. I remember the West's had a crab apple tree in their back garden (the tree nearest to the house). One early evening Nigel and me picked a reight load of them little hard apples and went around the Cotleigh area with a lad called Alan Fox, using people's doors and windows for target practice, then run off. We eventually got caught by a bloke on Cotleigh Close, Alan escaped but Nigel and me received a clip apiece around the ear.

On occasion in the West's household Nigel and me played with two thermometers which we eventually snapped open and poured the quicksilver onto the table and prodded it about and watched it's strange movement. We didn't realise the dangers then, we were only 9-10 years old, 1963-64.

I knew Nigel's big brother Trevor too. Nigel and Trevor once told me that their other neighbour (end house) was an old woman and if anyone knocked on her door she would speak to them through the letter box (flap), and if she wasn't happy she would point a rifle through the flap. I don't know if it was true or if they were trying to scare me.

(B) I had a girlfriend (started early) at Birley Spa Juniors who also moved down Torquay way about 1964ish and her name was Elaine Lawson. I must admit I had a roving eye(s) in those days (what's new?) and was in 'love' with loads of girls about that time including Kay Osborne, Jean Sykes, Julie Webster, Julie Guy, Barbara Allen, Jean Cottam, Peggy Billard,Lorraine Barstow, Susan Burgin, twins Barbara and Frances who lived on Cotleigh Place, and a platinum blonde called Sylvia who was about 12-15 years older than me, and lived on Carr Forge Road (up from bottom of Carter Lodge Rise) and I can still smell the strong perfume she wore.

© Did you know the George family who lived at 19 Carr Forge Mount? Their son Stephen was also a big mate of mine in the juniors, and I also adored his two big sisters Georgina and Linda. (Found out recently that Stephen had died some years ago).

(D) Mrs Varty had a piano in her lounge, but no sign of a broomstick tho!

(E) My family lived on Carter LOdge Drive and flitted in 1965 to the Victor Hallam houses at Newstead, Birley.

Zakes XX.

Hi Zakes

This is Jean Cottam as was. Saw your note and was intrigued to know what your correct name was. I also had the thread passed on by Baz (Le Baron) also wondering who you were??

Very flattering to think at least two people 'fancied' me (his words not mine).

I have very fond memories of life at Hackenthorpe even though I only lived there for approx 2 years. Grew up a lot during that time! Funilly enough we moved to Vic Hallam houses as well but they were at Guildford Drive, Norfolk Park.

Happy Days :)

You dont mean Chris Crossley the "Mighty Atom", He used to ride a huge Motorbike around. He was also DJ at the Heartbeat club above the Ice Rink.around 1969 ish.

Anyone remember me, I was Barman in the Hogshead in 1972.

I was also brought to live in Hackenthorpe in 1953 inside the midwifes black bag. As were all the other kids on our street. I can remember her bringing them all.:)

do you remember comic darts player in hogs head

well i lived round the corner from them for 15 years,until '83. wouldnt be surprise if they are still there.

Oh the Lees still see them about think they live on Manor, and they dont look any different if you know what I mean

hi annelouise,do you remember anita bingham

Did Anita Bingham go to Frecheville comprehensive, if it's same lass I know her, I was known as Charlie, Pete Charlesworth

:):hihi:

Yes I was from Hackenthorpe untill 1964 I can remember many of the kids I grew up with. I lived at 33 Delves Drive and the kids I hung around with were Peter Townsend, Gerald Smith, Tony Maikinson, Peter White Linda Havenhand, Magerat & Lynda Bailis the Disney family (the dad was the local Police Man) I can vaguely remember the Piggot family and also the Simonite family.

I spent my early years at the village School then to Rainbow Forge School, the teachers I remember were Miss Cantor the Head, Mrs Box. Mr Taylor and Mr Macike.

I now live in Inverness Scotland it would be great to hear from Hackenthorpe

Remember some of those names especially Disney, I think the son was David if memory serves I lived at 91 Occupation Lane Pete Charlesworth

Is the bluebell still there? moved from Hackenthorpe in 1980.

does anyone remember Lorraine Pack was living on Birley Spa Lane?

The Bell is still there but closed I think. The tap room windows are boarded up but the other side isn't.

Anyone remember the house in the middle of sallys hill they were the Gregg family Benny Billy Dinah Frank Ursula