Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

My grandparents, Lil and John the Piggotts, lived on Delves Drive since the mid 60's, we (dad, mum and brothers) moved back in the early 80s after living in Rotherham and then Park Hill.

As I said earlier an Uncle still lives in my grandparents old house.

Hi Sean, My name's Rita and I used to live on Rainbow Way in the 50's /60's. My best friend was Ita Piggott who had two brothers,Sean and Vincent ( not sure if there was a Liam or if I've imagined that -also a sister Anne?). I knew your grandparents , as I spent a lot of time at their house on Delves Drive. My most vivid memory of your grandmother ,was of the time she told me and Ita about 'banshees' in Ireland- it absolutley terrified me ! I used to sleep over a lot and was always made to feel welcome. I remember I fancied Vin as he seemed really cool walking about with his electric guitar - don't know if he could play it though:)! Ita and I were good friends for a long time - she went to live in Australia I .think.

Hi everyone,

Stumbled on this site by accident, so glad I did! Just thought i'd share some of my very happy memories of my childhood at Hackenthorpe.I lived at 10 Rainbow Way with my brother Paul ( I'm Rita, nee. Atton ). We had a wonderful time playing in Bluebell woods and Penny Loaf ( anyone remember that? - it was a wood in the fields behind Rainbow Avenue ,don't know why it was called Penny Loaf ). I remember Pigs Lane and the farriers in the village - I can remember watching him shoe the horses. Next to the farriers was the quaint little post office with the spearmint machines in the wall outside. I also remember the button factory and all the bits of mother of pearl outside.

Does anyone remember the pea souper fogs in the 50's ? I remember playing out with my brother in the thick fog - as kids we thought it was really exciting.

My playmates at the time were , Sylvia Jobar ( her brother Stephen went on to become a jockey}, Christine Wall and Susan Reynolds. When i was a bit older, I became friends with Ita Piggott. Next door to us, lived the Wards ( Andrew and Robert). So many wonderful memories.

Its good to know that so many of us remember our childhood of the 50's & 60's on Hackenthorpe as really great times. Does anyone remember the O'Brien family that lived on Rainbow Cres. (I think). Patrick was a good friend of mine at Birley School, he had an older brother John and I think there were also two sisters.

old hippy .my parents live at number 10 , have done since about 1965 .my brothers were born in that house . i was about 1 year old when we moved there . sylvia jobar still lives in the same house she is good friends with my parents. i have often wondered who lived there before us

oh wow ! I think about 10 Rainbow Way all the time - me and my brother Paul had such good times. I've always wondered who lives there now! We used to have great bonfires in the back garden on bonfire nights. Paul used to shin up the drainpipe at the front of the house and climb onto the roof - my mum used to go mad!

We moved into the house when they had just been built , it would have been about 1953 .I was one yr. old and Paul 3yrs. We lived there until the mid 60's. I moved away from Sheffield when I was 17 , but about two years ago me and my youngest son Ben, drove down Rainbow Way ,it was lovely to see my old home. Thanks so much for your response.

I remember your family.

I lived on Rainbow Avenue in one of the houses with the triangular ‘green’ in front of them.

When I went back to Sheffield a few years ago, I just had to have a look at where I used to live.

I was surprised to see the flat green was now a lumpy with trees on it.

We girls from the Downend, Spotswood & Lunney families spent many happy hours doing handstands and cartwhheels on that green.

Hi yes we lived opposite and spent a lot of our childhood there too, sadly another family now live where we used to and i sometimes feel the urge to go and knock on the door and ask if i can pop in, but it must have changed a lot now! you will remember my sisters too Jean, Linda and Ann.

I went to have a look at Rainbow Way and Rainbow Ave. about two years ago. I couldn't believe how the fields behind Rainbow ave. have changed. When we used to play there ,you could see the old pit. We use to play on the bridge at the bottom of the pit steps. You wouldn't even know it was there now.

I too would love to go and look around my old home on Rainbow Way ... happy days indeed.

:)

Hi yes we lived opposite and spent a lot of our childhood there too, sadly another family now live where we used to and i sometimes feel the urge to go and knock on the door and ask if i can pop in, but it must have changed a lot now! you will remember my sisters too Jean, Linda and Ann.

Yes I do remember.

Oh what happy days they were.

I should have included the name O'Connor in with the Downend, Spotswood & Lunney families. Sorry Julie.

I have a faint recollection of some of us being down in the 'woods' as we referred to the trees at the bottom of the slag heap. Julie's brother Kevin fell out of a tree and I think, broke his arm.

Then again, my memory is not what it used to be. :confused:

I remember Marie Humphries of Carterlodge Avenue.Anyone else remember her?.

I Lived on Carr Forge Road had a Brother Dougie Chamberlain

and I married Tony Maris off Carr Forge Lane :rant: left years ago and was barred from Blue Bell at 16 for dancing on table LOL

Remember when they cut the corn and we used to make dens with it ooh what fun

I remember Marie Humphries of Carterlodge Avenue.Anyone else remember her?.

Certainly do!! :love::love:She was fit!! I knew their Francis.