Remember this brilliant sandwich shop? Best sarnies in Sheffield! Anyone any pics of the place??

Wow, that just makes me think of a blazing summer holiday lunch time in the mid-seventies, going in with my mum, and my sister leaving her Snoopy doll in there. When we went back to see if they'd got him, he was sat on top of a cupboard waiting for us.

Though the sarnies may have been awful...

(No, I'm sure they weren't. :) )

It was up a little alley off High Street wasn't it?

I was sat in TJ Hughes cafe just across the High Street and was thinking about this very sandwhich shop only this week.

Brilliant sandwiches ever, and you actually got food between the breadcakes, unlike the ones in the plastic packets everywhere likes to sell these days!

It was always full and you could hardly get a seat at the few tables they managed to fit in there.

Wasn't there also a shoe shop across the alleyway from The Attic?

Damkina

I think the shoe shop was the original incarnation of Rebina. They eventually moved into Orchard Square for a while.

used to always have ham salad on french,no tomatoes but with beetroot and salad creme,my mum would go early saturday mornin to do her shoppin in town whilst i was recovering from friday night out,this was how she tempted me out of bed,could never resist it no matter how hung over i was

I was thinking about this recently too. Brilliant salad sandwiches, on french, reasonably priced. Freshly made as you waited. They used to take the luncheon vouchers that my employer gave out (because they were too tight to pay a decent wage!!!). Around 1980 I went in there every lunchtime .........

I remember The Attic circa 1970, nice quiet cafe tucked away behind Star and Telegraph. They used to exhibit paintings for Joe Scarborough, originals were on sale for a tenner.

Should have bought all of 'em.

Same sort of memories as everyone.

Used to go there everyday when I worked in Figtree Lane

The Attic was the first 'proper' sandwich shop in Sheffield - each sandwich freshly made offereing a range of fillings according to taste and then offering different breads.

The ham salad on french was to die for - and they served the thing in yellow bags!!

Is'nt it strange what you can remember?

Also had a wonderful aroma of fresh coffee/and food smells.

My dad owned the Attic, it was as great as you all are saying, I remember being there as a little girl, and yes, you're right, there was plenty of fillings between the bread!! Talk enough and he might open another one!!!!!!! ;)

...It was up a little alley off High Street wasn't it?
Yes it was in High Court. Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory that might bring back a few memories. Apart from the Attic there was Lew Burgin's barber shop, Bryan G. Stokes climbing & skiing equipment shop, and the ill-fated Basil Laitner.

At the time I worked nearby at the Midland Bank (now the Banker's Draft), and when I was working overtime I'd nip out to the Attic for a sandwich - they were always scrumptious..:love:

The sarnies from there were gorgeous. I was the office junior in an office on East Parade, and I used to fetch the grub from there every day!

Yes it was in High Court. Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory that might bring back a few memories. Apart from the Attic there was Lew Burgin's barber shop, Bryan G. Stokes climbing & skiing equipment shop, and the ill-fated Basil Laitner.

At the time I worked nearby at the Midland Bank (now the Banker's Draft), and when I was working overtime I'd nip out to the Attic for a sandwich - they were always scrumptious..:love:

now thats interesting, I used to work round the corner in Hartshead at Vehicle Licencing Office. That scan of the business' - Basil D Laitner, I worked with his daughter at aforementioned establishment when she worked there for the summer, it was her wedding where the murder took place. And interestingly for me and nobody else is that another business there is USDAW, where I am currently employed. I didnt realise they used to have an office in Sheffield. Thats why I love this forum.