Sign in to follow this  

Laptops/Notebooks Vs Desktop PCs

Laptops V Desktops  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Laptops V Desktops

• Laptops
    • Desktops

Which and why?

Personally I prefer desktops overall, as they are easier to upgrade. My computer as it is now, whilst being the same actual PC as the one I bought 2 and a half years ago, has been upgraded and tinkered with so many times it is barely recognisable. All good fun, and stops the PC getting out of date. Laptops are very handy for being on the move though, and take up less space and less wires/plugs. I'm thinking of getting a laptop but I'm not sure if its worth it or not. Which do you prefer?

My younger cousin (he's 15) is desperate for a laptop. But I prefer the desktop (first time I agreed with you t020 all night!) Everything you can do on a laptop can be done on a desktop can't it? The only good thing about a laptop for me would be that it can be carried around. But even then you can't sit in the middle of the street and go directly online without a connection... can yer?

Chloé

Originally posted by "Chloe"

My younger cousin (he's 15) is desperate for a laptop. But I prefer the desktop (first time I agreed with you t020 all night!) Everything you can do on a laptop can be done on a desktop can't it? The only good thing about a laptop for me would be that it can be carried around. But even then you can't sit in the middle of the street and go directly online without a connection... can yer?

Chloé

Actually I think there is a way of going online with a laptop without being connected to a phone line. Not sure, but I think it involves a mobile phone.

Imagine the internet at 30p a min. Nice! Is that how it works, all you technology experts? Or am I completely wrong?

wi-fi technology (now installed in some welcome break service stations might i add) allows you to surf the net

I use a desktop, but bought a laptop and used it for a while before taking it back for a full refund... :D

Having tried both, I prefer the ergonomics of a desktop, the speed and the flexibility. The laptop lifestyle appeals to me though as I'd really like just to be able to pop my computer into a drawer and deny its existence.

What I want to try next is one of these new tablet pcs with the swivel screen that you can use like a conventional paper notebook.

To sum up, if I wasn't working in IT I'd have a laptop, but for now I'm stuck with a desktop.

Laptops! I cant wait to get mine!!! This piece of crap desktop keeps crashing and it takes up loads of room. Itll be nice being able to sit downstairs watching TV with it and in bed and stuff. I know theyre more expensive but you can get them reasonable if you look around the net like i did. You can find some right beauties and you get to carry them round in a case wherever you go and not have to sit waiting for selfish uni students who are taking up all the computers to do your work. Yep - i cant wait for my laptop. :D

I opted for GNVQ science and we used laptops every lesson. We had little "cards" stuck out of the side of them which were our internet connection. All the laptops had to be in the classroom though, because there was some kind of box (don't know what it was for) that they all had to be near.

They were good, but when people didn't plug them in after use, they had a nasty habit of closing down just as you'd typed up a very important piece of work!

I'd guess the box they had to be near was a PC with the internet connection on it and the cards were wifi cards.

I'll stick with my desk tops, home & work. If I desperately need access then there's my wap phone or internet cafes.

If you do go down the laptop route I'd recommend a docking station at home which will give you all the convenience of both worlds.

Originally posted by "caprice"

I opted for GNVQ science and we used laptops every lesson. We had little "cards" stuck out of the side of them which were our internet connection.

Now we know why the schools can't afford textbooks and teacher any more!

Originally posted by "kittykat"

This piece of crap desktop keeps crashing ... Yep - i cant wait for my laptop. :D

That could be something to do with the "quality" of Bill Gates' "great" software. You'll be running Linux on your laptop then?

I have had a desk top and now i have a lap top.

For me the lap top is far better, its the space thing with me as theres no unsightly wires and i still connect it to my sound system and watch DVDs on it at work when i,m on nights.

I would,nt go back to the desk top.

I think the laptop is a trendy thing to have for the younger generation to have to.

I haven't really had much use of a Laptop, but I much prefer Desktop PC's from my experience. Laptop's were purely created for convenience more than anything I think..