Photography courses.. anyone know any?

I'm happy to point people in the right direction without charging :)

Could I take you up on that offer?

I'm also using a Sony A100, when I take my photos into photoshop and alter levels, cropping etc I notice that the dpi is set at 72, surely this is too low to print. What should the dpi be for a 6 x 4 print?

Dave..

Actually, 72dpi is fine for printing. I've printed up to A4 size with no quality issues at 72dpi.

If you want to increase dpi, however, go to Image > Image Size in Photoshop. Bear in mind it'll also increase the size (H x W) of your photo, and it's not going to make much difference at 6 x 4 size.

Cor blimey....2 A100 users in 1 thread?

Well this makes a 3rd ;)

What was the latest on the photography group btw anyone?

Thanks Papillon.

I'm ok with photography, well I was with film. :(

I'm getting to grips with dslr, :D

but photoshop is still a mystery to me. :confused:

I'm sure I'll be calling on you again :thumbsup:

Thanks again,

Dave..

just a little update for this post.

i have attended two courses over the last two weekends with http://www.goingdigital.co.uk/

jan is a professional wildlife photographer, and at each session she is "assisted" by a professional in that field, landscape,botanical etc.

these courses are easy & fun - dslr's, bridge cameras and compacts have been used by all members - with some impressive results after some tuition.

check out the site or pm me if you want to know more.

the courses are based on taking better photo's - not taking a crap shot and making it look decent.

Could I take you up on that offer?

I'm also using a Sony A100, when I take my photos into photoshop and alter levels, cropping etc I notice that the dpi is set at 72, surely this is too low to print. What should the dpi be for a 6 x 4 print?

Dave..

The smaller the print the higher the dpi.

The reson being that smaller images are viewed closer. For magazines/hand held prints 300dpi is seen as the minimum for arm length viewing. For images like film posters, 72 dpi may be fine as you look at them from several metres away. Billboard posters are more like inches per dot, the dots are so big!

What is the size of your image in pixels? It should be 3872x2592px, unless you've set camera to a lower quality setting.

This means that at 300dpi you get a 32.78x21.95cm print - slightly bigger than A4.

Actually, 72dpi is fine for printing. I've printed up to A4 size with no quality issues at 72dpi.

You are kidding right!? :o

If you want to increase dpi, however, go to Image > Image Size in Photoshop. Bear in mind it'll also increase the size (H x W) of your photo, and it's not going to make much difference at 6 x 4 size.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about dpi [and resizing].

You can alter dpi without changing print size and you can also resample to change DPI without resizing.

So in Photoshop [or other image editors] when you change image size, normally you do so without 'resampling' ticked as that will resize your image without resampling.

a 3000x2000px image at 300dpi will print at 25.4x16.93cm

a 3000x2000px image at 200dpi will print at 38.1x25.4cm

a 3000x2000px image at 72dpi will print at 105x70.56cm

And if I print at 500dpi then the image will 15.24x10.16cm[6x4 inches]

Resampling damages the image BTW and reduces quality, so do it to a copy and not the original and only if you have to.

If however, you want to place an image on line you will have to reduce it's size, so then you enable resampling. So if you have a 3000x2000px image you want to put it online you re-sample it and reduce size to something more like 300x200 [don't forget to sharpen appropriately after reducing].

DPI is of no relevence online, it is only relevent for printing. The only thing that is important for images online is the size in pixels. 72dpi, which is normally recommended, is actually of no relevence whatsoever.