Photography courses.. anyone know any?

I've got myself a V nice digital SLR and photoshop. I feel i'm not really using it to its best and would love to do a Digital photo course to show me how to get the most out it. Does anyone know any. I've looked at Norton college but i don't think they start until September and are hard to get on. ANy other ideas?? Thanks

I could give you some help, Cuey. I've been using a DSLR and Photoshop for several years now. What camera do you use?

Get yourself a copy of Understanding Exposure, read it, and go out shooting. Maybe you'll learn more than you think and save yourself a few quid on an expensive course.

I've just booked onto a course with this company - http://www.goingdigital.co.uk

£45 for a one day workshop - I was getting a bit frustrated with my new camera that I got for Christmas so I thought I'd give them a try.

I'm going this weekend, so I'll let you know how I get on!

There are actually loads of websites that will give you hints and tips on using your camera, that won't cost £45 (or even the cost of a book). It's all down to personal preference, really. Some people prefer class based learning. I'm happy to point people in the right direction without charging :)

I had a minolta dynax 5 so the logical upgrade was!!! A nice new Sony Alpha 100. It great and i have got some reasonable photos but its the old thing "more gadgets that skill" I did the same with the dynax set everything to auto and shoot. It seems a real waste to use it as a point and shoot when i know i can do more. The big difference seems to be night shooting and setting it up so you give yourself the best options when you touch it up but i'm a bit vague. I have some great shots from round the world on old film but i'm off to Africa again next year and really want to get more great shots.

(I have some of the Himba in Namibia and by pure chance they are awsome. Animals on the other hand never seem to live up to what you expected)

i've been looking for the same.

i went for a canon 350d , got all the crap to go with it.

pictures are ok especially with t/photo but i'd like to learn more, my proble is memory retention.

i practice exposures and f stops, take loads of snaps - have a good nights kip and forget it all.

Jessops do a weekend course as well at their head office for £50.

I've just booked onto a course with this company - http://www.goingdigital.co.uk

£45 for a one day workshop - I was getting a bit frustrated with my new camera that I got for Christmas so I thought I'd give them a try.

I'm going this weekend, so I'll let you know how I get on!

i'm having some of these courses.

need to get some weekday ones sorted.

i'm having some of these courses.

need to get some weekday ones sorted.

OK, let me know how you get on. I'll do a review after I've been this weekend.

I've tried reading loads of books and get a magazine every month, but I think I'm better off with classroom teaching rather than trying to teach myself - it seems to sink in better if someone else is telling me how it's done! Must be how my brain works!

If you want to see the sort of photos I take, check out my photoblog. It's linked from my profile. If you want to get in touch for hints/tips/whatever after that, let me know.

[i use a Canon EOS 30D, and used a Canon EOS 350D before that]

Thanks Papillion I may hold you to that. Its always good to be able to go to someone and say what happens if??? I went for the ALpha 100 simply because it takes all the same lenses as the Dynax 5. The lenses are worth more than the camera so it was a simple choice.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've spent way more on my lenses than I spent on the camera, but at least I'm happy with the ones I've got now.