Tales of John Botros

John Botros poor lad has seen bad times.

He went on trial in Wood Green Crown Court in 2005 with a number of others accused on charges of fraud and money laundering in a criminal case described in the court records as REGINA V JOHN BOTROS, CURTIS SAMUEL PATRICA FRANCIS & FERICK SMITH [2005] which involved fraud involving the theft of over $5m from the Bank of Nova Scotia.

John Botros was struck off as a company director by the High Court disqualified for six years. It was when he was in business with the boxing promoter Frank Warren. A high court judge Mr. Justice Blackburne said that Botros and Warren failed to comply with the requirements of the Companies Act as to the filing of annual returns and accounts; failure to maintain and preserve accounting records; defaults in the submission of VAT returns; trading while insolvent in the case of the main company, Arena Developments.

Now things are improving and he is the company secretary of a company called The weather Lottery. It runs lotteries for charities and good causes.

John Botros poor lad has seen bad times.

He went on trial in Wood Green Crown Court in 2005 with a number of others accused on charges of fraud and money laundering in a criminal case described in the court records as REGINA V JOHN BOTROS, CURTIS SAMUEL PATRICA FRANCIS & FERICK SMITH [2005] which involved fraud involving the theft of over $5m from the Bank of Nova Scotia.

John Botros was struck off as a company director by the High Court disqualified for six years. It was when he was in business with the boxing promoter Frank Warren. A high court judge Mr. Justice Blackburne said that Botros and Warren failed to comply with the requirements of the Companies Act as to the filing of annual returns and accounts; failure to maintain and preserve accounting records; defaults in the submission of VAT returns; trading while insolvent in the case of the main company, Arena Developments.

Now things are improving and he is the company secretary of a company called The weather Lottery. It runs lotteries for charities and good causes.

Nice to see the charity in good hands

I worked with John in 1972-73 at J P Pashley Linfoot & o in Queens Street Sheffield. He was a breath of fresh air among the stuffy male chauvanist pigs of the legal profession. He told me about his dad, Dr Botros, measuring out medicine in grams on some ancient old scales in his surgery. John was great and I miss him.

Dr Botros was my doctor when i was a child. Mum called him out twice because when i was 10 or 11 i woke up to find the room spinning round, couldnt taste anything, had a stinking headache and my urine was dark brown. Twice he came out and said i had indigestion. It wasnt until the 3rd time and his junior partner came that i was diagnosed with Hepatitis and spent a couple of weeks in the isolation ward at lodgemoor.

Hi does anyone remember Dr Botros,I think he was an eygptian gentleman.

His practice surgery was on Attercliffe road.He was our family doctor until my parents moved to Foxhill from Dane st/Alfred rd due to slum clearance.He delivered myself and all my 7 siblings at home except my youngest brother

who was born at Jessops.I would love to read anyones memories of him

hello dave i remember botros well . but i think the surgery was up upwell st at the side of the victory picture palace the surgery you are thinking about was with doctors gethin and wainright then at a later date dr mcloughlin their surgery was near the pavilion .the surgery on upwell st is still there and up for sale. the victory was pulled down and is now a garage.jack

hello dave i remember botros well . but i think the surgery was up upwell st at the side of the victory picture palace the surgery you are thinking about was with doctors gethin and wainright then at a later date dr mcloughlin their surgery was near the pavilion .the surgery on upwell st is still there and up for sale. the victory was pulled down and is now a garage.jack

Thanks for that Jack the old memories not as good as it was!Was he your family doctor?

Edited by Jim Hardie
Contained link to thread now merged with this one.

Thanks for that Jack the old memories not as good as it was!Was he your family doctor?

yes dave he was .then after getting married and living down carbrook we went with mcloughlin.later on we flitted up hackenthorpe and moved to mcloughlins surgery on duke st

dr botros was my doctor for many years he had a surgery on city rd as well as attercliffe,he shared with a dr taylor.

i believe his daughter was on tv in please sir.

botros is buried in city rd cemetary near wall at bottom manor fields side

yes dave he was .then after getting married and living down carbrook we went with mcloughlin.later on we flitted up hackenthorpe and moved to mcloughlins surgery on duke st

Hi Jack,previous answer also says his surgery was on Attercliffe,thought i could remember going with mum.

heyup daved my recollection of labib botros was when the mother-in-law who lived on carltonville rd collapse we had run into the surgery and ask him to come posthaste which he did,but it was to late she had pass away! i think he was also good for a sick note,if you know what mean.i always visit his grave when in city rd cemetery and ponder awhile.seems a lifetime ago.