Affordable (gaming) PC

I, and I am sure many others on here could build you a semi decent pc working within your budget. just ask! don't go buy one from a shop though, bad idea.

he wasn't after just a budget pc though (my point all along), he wanted a pc capable of gaming.

I already own an Xbox! PCs have different games on them - there are some things you just can't do on a console that you can do on a PC. I also want the PC for broadband (as I only have the I/net at work at the moment) and for sound software so i can start writing tunes again.

You've given me some great ideas, but I'm not after a top-spec gaming PC - just something that will cope with online play. I used to have an AMD k6/2 500 until about a year ago, and it couldn't cope with games written after 2000!!!

Looks like I'll have to build my own...

Originally posted by Agent Dan

You've given me some great ideas, but I'm not after a top-spec gaming PC - just something that will cope with online play. I used to have an AMD k6/2 500 until about a year ago, and it couldn't cope with games written after 2000!!!

Looks like I'll have to build my own...

For that kind of money the answer is yep.. build your own..

You can forgo a lot of the extra's like burner, SATA, RAID, etc... but the key parts will be RAM, CPU and video card...

Right now a reasonable XP machine would cost you about £300 (without the OS) but the video card could add another £100 depending on what you opt for... and you have to bear in mind that it wouldn't be upgradeable beyond a 3200 XP processor in a year or so's time..

So there are some trade offs to consider... but to be honest for most stuff you'd have a valid games machine for about 2 years give or take.