Sanctuary housing Shiregreen estate

Shiregreens footpath's are A total DISGRACE i'm surprised how the council have got away with it for so long. The path's are too narrow you have to bloody walk single file everywhere, the path's are falling apart. A little example, there's A section on gregg house rd where the path actually twist's god know's how oap's are expected to manage them especially in snow and ice. Are the shiregreen tenant's association supposed to get on the council's back if not who. The bus shelter's are all old and scabby why have'nt they been replaced like firth park and everywhere else. I also think sanctuary don't really know what they are doing regarding doing our house's up either. I think at end of the day the council just wanted to get shut of these terrible little cold hut's and sanctuary thought "we can make some money here" when firth park house's got properly modernised in 1986 they got gutted and everything. And they are doing them again now so that's twice in space of 22 yrs but don't worry we'll get a one coat of magnolia and A new bath instead of the cold iron one's and A shower woopee.:rant:

To answer a couple of your questions - Shiregreen tenants' associaton (or any tenants' association) is made up of volunteers from the estate. If you don't think they are representing your community, why not join them - you never know - you could do some good.

Bus shelters - these have nothing to do with the council, or with Sanctuary housing, they are the responsibility of the SYPTE (Transport Exec).

As for Sanctuary, at least one couple are pleased with the improvements - http://www.sanctuary-housing.co.uk/News/David+Blunkett+celebrates+500th+refurbished+Shiregreen+home.htm Its not just been a coat of paint either - their home 'has undergone a complete transformation, with rewiring, double glazing, a new kitchen and bathroom, central heating, external and internal doors'. Something to look forward to eh?

To answer a couple of your questions - Shiregreen tenants' associaton (or any tenants' association) is made up of volunteers from the estate. If you don't think they are representing your community, why not join them - you never know - you could do some good.

Bus shelters - these have nothing to do with the council, or with Sanctuary housing, they are the responsibility of the SYPTE (Transport Exec).

As for Sanctuary, at least one couple are pleased with the improvements - http://www.sanctuary-housing.co.uk/News/David+Blunkett+celebrates+500th+refurbished+Shiregreen+home.htm Its not just been a coat of paint either - their home 'has undergone a complete transformation, with rewiring, double glazing, a new kitchen and bathroom, central heating, external and internal doors'. Something to look forward to eh?

A housing association shouldn't rely on unskilled volunteers (that is not a statement against volunteers by the way) they should employ experienced workers.

I have battled for 2 years know with sanctuary, threw a solicitor and some of the problems still haven't been sorted, they are prats. I am disabled and one example is i have just had my front door done. My carer stayed in while they did it because i have an allergy with dust. I had problems when i came home. They in there wisdom didn't put my hand rail back on which helps me to get up the steps to my door. I have mobility problems.

Also my house alarm door sensor and the wiring to it was just sellotaped back on. haha what a laugh they are.

A housing association shouldn't rely on unskilled volunteers (that is not a statement against volunteers by the way) they should employ experienced workers.

I have battled for 2 years know with sanctuary, threw a solicitor and some of the problems still haven't been sorted, they are prats. I am disabled and one example is i have just had my front door done. My carer stayed in while they did it because i have an allergy with dust. I had problems when i came home. They in there wisdom didn't put my hand rail back on which helps me to get up the steps to my door. I have mobility problems.

Also my house alarm door sensor and the wiring to it was just sellotaped back on. haha what a laugh they are.

MY father lives on Wybourn,, and he had a visitor from the contractors who are scheduled to be doing the work on his estate, come to see him this week.

There are many practicalities about this major works they want to do to his house, which he is concerned about, and I am concerned about on his behalf.

firstly, he is disabled, too, like yourslef, pavlo. he is waiting for a knee replacement, and can hardly walk with that, plus he has emphysema.

There's n way he would manage to shift all manner of stuff around the house, whilst they rip his kitchen out, particularly if the contactors are as bad, and as slow and inept as the ones who did the work on my exes' kitchen.

My pop freaked out when they started talking about having to chisel out the walls for the chanelling for the new wiring etc.

There's no rotten way, on God's green earth my pop will manage with all the dust and muck that's going to be raised whilst this work is done. and we are agreed that there's no way he can just stay out of the property for the day whilst they are working. (cos he's still got to come back to the muck and dust, of an evening, hasn't he when they have gone home? plus the issue of leaving the house keys with someone you don't know...)

I heard something of a horror story, about some workmen who were working on the house of a freind of my dad, on the other side of the estate.

He'd left his keys with the contractors, and he's come home from work to find all his lights blazing, and the telly on, full blast. As pop's mate said:- "if they have got the telly on, there's no stinking way these blokes are doing their work, is there?" and, of course, as he complained... it's his power, and his telly they're helping theselves to.

I agree with pop's mate:- if you go to a stranger's house, you don't just help yourself to the telly or whatever.

The supervisor was contacted, and he was about as much use as toothache, just "shrugging" at the mates' complaints. I'm with the mate on this.. They're just taking flipping liberties.

Poppa is trying to get sorted about a move, into something more suitable. He needs a ground floor accessible flat or a bungalow. He needs a shower rather than a bath.

MY father lives on Wybourn,, and he had a visitor from the contractors who are scheduled to be doing the work on his estate, come to see him this week.

There are many practicalities about this major works they want to do to his house, which he is concerned about, and I am concerned about on his behalf.

firstly, he is disabled, too, like yourslef, pavlo. he is waiting for a knee replacement, and can hardly walk with that, plus he has emphysema.

There's n way he would manage to shift all manner of stuff around the house, whilst they rip his kitchen out, particularly if the contactors are as bad, and as slow and inept as the ones who did the work on my exes' kitchen.

My pop freaked out when they started talking about having to chisel out the walls for the chanelling for the new wiring etc.

There's no rotten way, on God's green earth my pop will manage with all the dust and muck that's going to be raised whilst this work is done. and we are agreed that there's no way he can just stay out of the property for the day whilst they are working. (cos he's still got to come back to the muck and dust, of an evening, hasn't he when they have gone home? plus the issue of leaving the house keys with someone you don't know...)

I heard something of a horror story, about some workmen who were working on the house of a freind of my dad, on the other side of the estate.

He'd left his keys with the contractors, and he's come home from work to find all his lights blazing, and the telly on, full blast. As pop's mate said:- "if they have got the telly on, there's no stinking way these blokes are doing their work, is there?" and, of course, as he complained... it's his power, and his telly they're helping theselves to.

I agree with pop's mate:- if you go to a stranger's house, you don't just help yourself to the telly or whatever.

The supervisor was contacted, and he was about as much use as toothache, just "shrugging" at the mates' complaints. I'm with the mate on this.. They're just taking flipping liberties.

Poppa is trying to get sorted about a move, into something more suitable. He needs a ground floor accessible flat or a bungalow. He needs a shower rather than a bath.

Hi plain talker, how are you this evening?

I fully agree with you. I'm in the same boat as your pop's, disabled, i just cannot contemplate going threw it all as well, like pop (hope I'm not been rude calling him pop) i at the moment trying to get out of this house, because the stairs are getting to much for me, I'm bidding on property shop (to me, more useless people)at mo. Ive just got priority for an adapted house, also get away from sanctuary.

what i would like to know, is Ms Macbeth on this estate, does she see what we have to put up with, or does she just see and read the one headline of the happy couple, perhaps sanctuary have got one house right!

I did get a wet room fitted about 2 years ago through social or council adaptations, its brill and a lot better.

They do employ workers, but the previous poster referred to Tenants' Associations and I was pointing out that they are voluntary. No-one is forced to join, but the opportunity is there. And because of their involvement, they often know exactly who to contact when there are problems.

what i would like to know, is Ms Macbeth on this estate, does she see what we have to put up with, or does she just see and read the one headline of the happy couple, perhaps sanctuary have got one house right!

I don't live on the estate, but it shouldn't stop me having an opinion. I've worked in housing for a number of years, so I'm aware there are a silent majority who'll have had work done to their homes and who are satisfied with it. Its much more likely that people will go to the press, contact their councillor or even post on the forum when there are issues. Its human nature to complain - we all do it, but how many times does someone start a thread saying 'I've had some work done by the council/housing association and I'm satisfied with it'? Not often.

>snipped<

Can't Parkway housing help your dad to move, or is his only option to go through the Property Shop? If it is, I hope he's applied for medical priority (I'm sure you'll have advised him re this). I'd like to think that the Housing Associations (that the tenants voted for in place of the council) would help their elderly or disabled tenants to sort everything out before and after the improvement work. It must be a worry for him (and you).

Would he rather have wires running up the walls and a crap kitchen and bathroom rotten windows and doors no insulation. I doubt it. People have to understand that having a house updated is a messy dirty job and involves alot of upheaval. There is no way that the work can be done without making a mess and dust. If you are so concerned about you father during the works have him at your house.

Would he rather have wires running up the walls and a crap kitchen and bathroom rotten windows and doors no insulation. I doubt it. People have to understand that having a house updated is a messy dirty job and involves alot of upheaval. There is no way that the work can be done without making a mess and dust. If you are so concerned about you father during the works have him at your house.

Could you go back and have a go at trying to read what I actually put, in my post, phyllis about my pop's situation, before you start sleering at me??

I explained in the post that you managed to quote-but-not-read... :-

That there was no WAY my poppa, with his emphysema could manage to live in the house whilst the works are going on:- at least... not without being hospitalised. Christ! His breathing is shocking enough without all that muck to block his breathing further. (whether we are to "expect" muck during works or not!)

There is no way, on god's green earth after all the fun and games that his mate, and other people who have commented on here, have had, with workmen taking liberties with the householder's home and belongings, with workmen leaving doors unsecured, belongings damaged, and losing keys etc that we'd trust them enough to leave the house to their devices.

I won't go into the practicalities of having poppa here, (no room etc)

Even when they would have put the new windows /kitchen /wiring/ roof, and bathroom etc in, it is still going to be impractical, as the internal stairs are too much for him, plus the palaver of trying to get his wheelchair up two steps, front and back, to get into the property...

The long and the short of it is, what poppa needs, is to be decanted out of the house into something more suitable for his disabilities, either in the interim, whilst the works are done, and a stairlift, ramp, and wetroom are installed, or, decant him out of the property permanently, into something more practical, so he doesn't need to move again.

It's actually not that many years ago that the wybourn had a mass refurb, anyway.

Can't Parkway housing help your dad to move, or is his only option to go through the Property Shop? If it is, I hope he's applied for medical priority (I'm sure you'll have advised him re this). I'd like to think that the Housing Associations (that the tenants voted for in place of the council) would help their elderly or disabled tenants to sort everything out before and after the improvement work. It must be a worry for him (and you).

I believe it's manchester methodist housing assoc that my poppa rents from, Ms Mac...

Poppa wasn't sure about whether he could move to another property as easily as before the ALMO's, but I've said, "Push for a rehousing, anyway", you can put your name down for an OAP place.

Hopefully, because of his age, he may be able to get points to have an an OAP bungalow or ground-floor flat, and his disabilities will hopefully prioritise him for a level access property (with, fingers crossed, a walk-in shower).

Anyway, if we can get poppa moved out into something more suited to his needs, that'll leave his current house empty, for the workmen to wreak their havoc on, with no-one to get in their way, and inconvenience them, by expecting them to do a job, let alone a decent one. They can also be able to create as much muck and dust as their little hearts desire. (without interfering with pop's breathing)

this couple that are pleased with their sanctuary home? that must be the house sanctuary did up to top spec to con us into voting for them, along with all the lies about cleaning up the estate, community wardens, sorting noisy neibours to name but a few. And as for having them re-do your home, lol, think very carefully before you go ahead. Last yr the workforce hired by FHM gave me 6mths of hell. I had dust,damage, parking across my drive and verbal abuse. and they weren't even doing my home, they where doing the empty house next door. I now have that feeling of impending doom as i know in a couple of weeks they will be back to do a couple more houses on the street, which will no doubt take them another 6mths. I have hrs of tape from cctv and hundreds of photo's. Do Sanctuary care? do they bod. Shiregreen is now classed as a sink estate, not all Sanctuarys fault, the council let the rot in, that's why we voted Sanctuary in. Now it is worse than it's ever been and not likely to get any better with this landlord, not if my new neibours are anything to go by.

this couple that are pleased with their sanctuary home? that must be the house sanctuary did up to top spec to con us into voting for them, along with all the lies about cleaning up the estate, community wardens, sorting noisy neibours to name but a few. And as for having them re-do your home, lol, think very carefully before you go ahead. Last yr the workforce hired by FHM gave me 6mths of hell. I had dust,damage, parking across my drive and verbal abuse. and they weren't even doing my home, they where doing the empty house next door. I now have that feeling of impending doom as i know in a couple of weeks they will be back to do a couple more houses on the street, which will no doubt take them another 6mths. I have hrs of tape from cctv and hundreds of photo's. Do Sanctuary care? do they bod. Shiregreen is now classed as a sink estate, not all Sanctuarys fault, the council let the rot in, that's why we voted Sanctuary in. Now it is worse than it's ever been and not likely to get any better with this landlord, not if my new neibours are anything to go by.

Someone else that's seen sanctuary for what they are, totally useless!!!

A update and happy conclusion to a thread i started over a year ago!!!!!:)

As you can see by my location (Southey green) i have moved at last. I'm back with Sheffield homes. I moved in last Wednesday and Sheffield homes have already done more for me that Sanctuary did in 3 years. I moved out and just gave my keys and a letter back to Sanctuary.:rant: They were closed, but there was people in. I knocked on door but they wouldn't even come to see what i wanted (i even swung the keys at the door:huh:) they just sat and looked at me. When i got in my car, a woman came out with my letter, went round the back, sparked a fag up and opened my letter, which was addressed to the manager.:loopy: Thank god I'm away from them. :hihi: I will still miss Shiregreen, a cool estate with a very poor landlord :(

As I'm disabled, I've know got a lift upstairs, plus I'm on garden pledge twice a year, something Sanctuary forgot.

Thanks for every ones feedback to the thread, i am very happy know. I hope people will still use this thread to have there say, moan, rant and rave about Sanctuary (still thinking of printing off the hole of this thread and sending it to them.)

Cheer Pavlo:):)