The 0114 Area code

it makes no difference whatsoever where you put them in a sign.

Yes it does, HN, because people within the dialing code area may dial the number after the "01133", without the STD code, which will be meaningless. It never ceases to amaze me how many seemingly, in all other ways, intelligent and knowledgeable people fail to understand this simple convention.

Edited by Lockjaw

The fifteenth anniversary of those changes is less than a month away. :)

The fifteenth anniversary of this thread's inception can't be that far behind either...

Just goes to show how thick some people truly are.

After all this time it's almost unbelievable that so many people still cannot comprehend their number is (0114) 2xx xxxx or (0114) 3xx xxxx.

It's not going to be all that long before (0114) 4xx xxxx numbers start being issued too.

Yes? They have ran out of 0114 2xxxxxx numbers and are allocating the next set of numbers as per the Sheffield numbering plan.

Nowt odd with that.

Anyone who thinks the area code for Sheffield is 01142 quite frankly needs taking out and shooting. Same goes for any business who does the same in it's signage.

I had to despair today when I saw a van from Leeds (with a similar area code and numbering plan to that of Sheffield) which had a number in the format 01133 xxx xxx printed on the side. Oh dear...

Never said there was! I was just agreeing with some people on this thread who knew of people whose number started with a "3"

Sorry if i forgot to put a space in between the "4" and the "3"!

You going to shoot me for that?:huh:

Never said there was! I was just agreeing with some people on this thread who knew of people whose number started with a "3"

Sorry if i forgot to put a space in between the "4" and the "3"!

You going to shoot me for that?:huh:

Not at all.

You just mentioned something that had already been discussed and we were fully aware of.

This number being Sheffields Area code. But is it only followed by 2? I thought the whole idea of giving cities the 4 digit area code was to take advantage of the extra number for combinations. But Sheffield hasnt seemed to impliment it. Ive been looking around recently and ive only seen 0114 2** etc... Considering over half a million people live in Sheffield surely they would be able to implement it. Anyone know why? Also some areas in S60 near the parkway have a Rotherham number of 01709 but its still classed as Sheffield. Why didnt they get given the 0114 number? does anyone also know how far the 0114 area code extends to because other cities it extends much further than the actual area of the city for example, Manchester and Liverpool. :?:

o.k. I have only just found this, I have looked in my phone directory and this tells me the dialling code for sheffield is 0114. now when I look at my itemised bill the numbers I have dialled for sheffield show as 01142 ****** so if you dial the last 6 numbers from te sheffield area that should put you straight through? NO you need to add the 2 in front. so if b.t. is putting out conflictng inf what chance have we got

BT finally corrected a huge number of almost-fifteen-year-old errors in their area code list just a few months ago.

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/uk_codes/search.publisha?Search=011

However, nearly half of the other errors (for 02x and other codes) still remain. Perhaps in another decade the list will be correct? Wheels turn very slowly in an organisation of that size.

Who cares? At BT's prices, I won't be able to afford to ring anyone soon!! :(

The 01142 number is actually the correct code for Sheffield but most people use it as the first number on the telephone number.

It's not, the code is 0114. Lots of numbers start with 3 now.

01142 is the code for sheffield followed by a six figure number but most people use the 2 as the first number of there number.

The 01142 number is actually the correct code for Sheffield but most people use it as the first number on the telephone number.

you are wrong, as my number is 0114 307****

BUT..

01143 numbers were first dished out by Skype and then VM bought a load as there were no more 01142 numbers that could be used.