The 0114 Area code

They have already started issuing 01143, Voice at Woodseats has this number outside

Also Dronfeild and Chesterfield apart from a few residents of coal aston are 01246 at the beginning

No, the new numbers they will be issuing will be:-

0114 3XX XXXX

No, the new numbers they will be issuing will be:-

0114 3XX XXXX

Sorry really don't understand you they have already started using 0114 3xxxxx

Sorry really don't understand you they have already started using 0114 3xxxxx

The numbers, as pointed out in the posts above, are 0114 2XX XXXX/ 0114 3XX XXXX, not 01142/ 01143.

You'll get nowhere trying to phone the numbers after the 2 or the 3, as XX XXXX will not work.

I have had the 3 number for a year now. Sheffield code is 0114, But my number then goes into the 3 cat, ie. 0114 - 307****

Hit the enter button too fast. Many people still try to tell me they did not ring because they thought it was the wrong number. Did not have the brains to try it. This included the Council

I know of a couple of Sheffield numbers that start with 01143****

I know of a couple of Sheffield numbers that start with 01143****

Yes? They have ran out of 0114 2xxxxxx numbers and are allocating the next set of numbers as per the Sheffield numbering plan.

Nowt odd with that.

Anyone who thinks the area code for Sheffield is 01142 quite frankly needs taking out and shooting. Same goes for any business who does the same in it's signage.

I had to despair today when I saw a van from Leeds (with a similar area code and numbering plan to that of Sheffield) which had a number in the format 01133 xxx xxx printed on the side. Oh dear...

Yes? They have ran out of 0114 2xxxxxx numbers and are allocating the next set of numbers as per the Sheffield numbering plan.

Nowt odd with that.

Anyone who thinks the area code for Sheffield is 01142 quite frankly needs taking out and shooting. Same goes for any business who does the same in it's signage.

I had to despair today when I saw a van from Leeds (with a similar area code and numbering plan to that of Sheffield) which had a number in the format 01133 xxx xxx printed on the side. Oh dear...

I agree with you.

That number would be correct. Telephones don't use, or recognise, spaces, so it makes no difference whatsoever where you put them in a sign.

It's not a huge deal but I have to agree about the use of Sheffield numbers! 0114 is the code followed by a 7 digit number. I think the point about companies for example displaying 01142 123456 is that this could suggest the number within Sheffield is 123456 which it's not!

My other half STILL quotes our number 01142 xxxxxx and then get confused when a number like 0114 3xxxxxx comes into play and tries to ring 23xxxxxx. My work number starts 20xxxxx so if the code was 01142 that would make the phone number 0xxxxx and no numbers begin with a 0, just area codes/prefixes.

So just to reiterate it's 0114 followed by 7 digits, most of which begin 2 but can also begin 3 :hihi:

That number would be correct. Telephones don't use, or recognise, spaces, so it makes no difference whatsoever where you put them in a sign.

Not saying it isn't.

However it is written wrong.

The area code for Leeds isn't 01133 so dialling a 6 digit number in Leeds would get you nowhere. People are probably thick enough to do that. Exactly the same as people who write 01142 in Sheffield. A 6 digit number will get you nowhere.

The fifteenth anniversary of those changes is less than a month away. :)