The Bayerische Socks Knitalong Thread

Just looked at both of these and agree entirely they're both gorgeous :love: Think i'm gonna go for one of the CTH ones...am i allowed burgundy too? :P I quite like 'Loden' aswell.

Of course :) .

I've just ordered three skeins from Woolly Workshop :o . The Burgundy, plus Loden and Slate :D .

Of course :) .

I've just ordered three skeins from Woolly Workshop :o . The Burgundy, plus Loden and Slate :D .

:D

Lol! Three! naughty naughty! :nono::lol:

Is it difficult to convert patterns to dpns if originally meant for circulars like Bayerische? Or is it fairly straight forward? Because i've never knit socks on circulars and i think this pattern will be challenge enough without getting to grips with a new method.

Is it difficult to convert patterns to dpns if originally meant for circulars like Bayerische? Or is it fairly straight forward? Because i've never knit socks on circulars and i think this pattern will be challenge enough without getting to grips with a new method.

When I said 'convert' in my earlier post, I was using the term loosely. As I understand it (though I could be wrong) sock patterns can be knit in whatever way you choose, irrespective of how the designer knit them.

You'd have to do a few things that aren't explicitly stated in the pattern (like dividing between the DPNs etc) and ignore a few directions that explicitly refer to the circs method, but it should be doable.

I've knit all the socks I've done so far as the pattern instructed (all DPNs apart from the half an Elfine sock on the Magic Loop - which is paused not because the Magic Loop is difficult, but because the heel is a bit of a bugger), so I've never attempted a 'conversion' before.

Tell you what, if you want to do them on DPNs, I'll do them on DPNs too and save learning the circs method for something else.

When I said 'convert' in my earlier post, I was using the term loosely. As I understand it (though I could be wrong) sock patterns can be knit in whatever way you choose, irrespective of how the designer knit them.

You'd have to do a few things that aren't explicitly stated in the pattern (like dividing between the DPNs etc) and ignore a few directions that explicitly refer to the circs method, but it should be doable.

I've knit all the socks I've done so far as the pattern instructed (all DPNs apart from the half an Elfine sock on the Magic Loop - which is paused not because the Magic Loop is difficult, but because the heel is a bit of a bugger), so I've never attempted a 'conversion' before.

Tell you what, if you want to do them on DPNs, I'll do them on DPNs too and save learning the circs method for something else.

:blush: aw, thanx! You don't have to though!! :) I thought it could either be one of those things that will be really easy or something that would turn out stupidly difficult on about row 100 or something! *Lets tell everyone it will be mega easy so everyone does them on dpns :P:suspect: *

You could knit them on DPN's (I did, for the little I made of them). I'll stick my neck out and say that you can knit any sock on DPN's. Some patterns may be harder to convert the other way to magic loop - if it's a lace pattern it won't work well if the pattern repeat doesn't fall where you have the breaks on your "two" needles. If the stitch count keeps changing you don't really want to be moving a stitch or two across the loop to the other side on each row.

I love Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn although I've had a few skeins that I've loved less than others. The Lorna's Laces didn't call to me in the same way, I didn't like the base yarn as much as the CTH. You used to be able to buy CTH misdyes by the pound on ebay - I'm still working with a purple and red combo that I bought two years ago.

Talk about quick service! Just got an email from Gill at the Woolly Workshop to say that the order is on its way. I placed the order less than two hours ago!

You could knit them on DPN's (I did, for the little I made of them). ...

Have you paused on them to do other things, or put them to one side for good? Are they as difficult as they look? :suspect:

...if it's a lace pattern it won't work well if the pattern repeat doesn't fall where you have the breaks on your "two" needles. If the stitch count keeps changing you don't really want to be moving a stitch or two across the loop to the other side on each row.

Yes, that is a pain with DPNs. I do move the stitches around on the needles on some patterns though; mainly little things like preferring not to start a needle with a purl stitch, or to keep little motifs together. I can see how for some patterns it might be unworkable though, or at least more difficult to manage.

Its very easy if you knit with all 5 dpns rather than 4. Basically with 2 circulars you would split the sock into 2 halves (i.e. all the heel and sole of the foot is done on one needle and the top bit of the foot (its probably got a name that escapes me right now) is done on the other needle). So what you can do really easy is split your stitches between 4 needles and knit with the 5th(so you effectively still have the top and sole of the foot on separate needles - just with another break) - hope that makes sense:)

It might not work so well with Bayerische though, as the pattern repeat is 48 stitches. You'd have to have 26 stitches on needle 1, 22 on needle 2, 26 on needle 3 and 22 on needle 4. The problem would be the join between the needles, as it's hard to get it in an ideal place if you're splitting it onto dpn's. I think it would definitely be easier to work on 2 circs or magic loop it.

2 circulars is very easy - really really:nod: ..... well I find it easy anyway:hihi:

I don't like 2 circs at all - If the pattern calls for them I tend to convert it to magic loop, as that way you can split the pattern exactly the same.