Large plane over Chatsworth

I love this slang term "Peaks"

Yet strangely you never hear it used other than by folk from outside the Peak District.

As for the plane - very interesting, certainly don't think it's a glider.

I used to live in froggatt in the Hope Valley

Quite often we see VERY low flying hurcules transport planes, and low flying helicopters through the Valley.

These places would only fly a few hundred feet off the valley surface !

It was probably one of them that you saw !

Hi,

The plane I saw was a military one. Very big and very low.It flew over Chatsworth house towards Bakewell.Thanks for the replies.

Hi,

The plane I saw was a military one. Very big and very low.It flew over Chatsworth house towards Bakewell.Thanks for the replies.

Google a type of plane called the AC130.

Its an english version of these that you saw.

They often fly down the valley towards chatsworth.

Thanks everyone for the replies too.

It definitely wasn't a glider or a Cessna-type and it did look military. It must have been the same one heading towards Chatsworth - and probably not a 'ghost-plane' then!

I've seen this plane too, last summer I was driving through the country (dont know which raod but past the flur de lys pub at Totley) i was with my step children and all three of us saw it, it was really eerie as there was no noise and the plane did exactly the same as has been described (banked, as though it was in trouble) The plane was massive too, and dark grey. Me and the kids at the time joked about it being a ghost plane...thinking about it :suspect:

Extremely difficult to make out much from the pic posted earlier in thread. However sillouhette (wide body in relation to wings) and the general description would indicate it to be perhaps a RAF Hercules:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tankerandtransport.cfm

Given the flight profile (low level, sharp "evasive" turns etc) seems characteristic of this type of RAF sortie in this aircraft. Civil aircraft are not permitted to fly below 500ft of any person or structure.

Not only did I see the plane, but Elvis was flying it with Lady Di in the passenger's seat!

Yep, I was ay Hathersage pool last summer and out of no where I suddenly saw an old looking fighter plane flying really low above the houses to the left. I don't remember it making any noise but more to the point no one else made any comment about it despite it missing the roof tops by a matter of feet.

A Hercules or two has been known to touch land at Sheffield Airport on these exercises its getting to that time of year

The landing strip is on the south side of the valley.
Where? :huh: Do you mean Camphill?

(banked, as though it was in trouble)

Wrong way round. If they don't bank they are in trouble :)

There aren't any ghost planes folks, just planes flying routes that their pilots have planned without feeling the need to put a notice on Look North.