Speed Safety Cameras

Trouble with that theory is (I think) that loads of cars on the road are company cars - and companies aren't going to endorse mass law breaking - but they will sack employees who get a driving ban.

Really though - how hard are speed cameras to spot? As much a fine for driving without due care and attention as speeding to my way of thinking - people who can't spot and slow down for speed cameras are likely to be the ones who don't spot kids crossing the road.............

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far. Sure there'll probably be a proportion of people that fit that description, but people can get caught out for all sorts of reasons

For example: I don't know if this is still the case but there used to be one 30mph sign as you approach the Dore Road junction on Abbeydale Road (or is it Baslow Road at that point? Not sure) and it used to get completely obscured by the trees that overhang the sign until the trees were cut back. Seeing as repeater signs can occur as far apart as 400-500m that leaves you nearly half a kilometre before you'd realise you're in a 30 zone.

Anyway I'm wandering off-topic.

The one speed camera that puzzles the heck out of me is the one at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road just before you pass what used to be the Davey Lowey building. It's in a 40mph zone (fair enough - people do rip down that hill), but surely if we wanted to reduce accidents it would make more sense to put it just inside the 30mph zone about 300yards further on? It always seems like it's saying "We don't want you doing over 40 here, but we're not too bothered about the 30mph zone just down there".

Well by the same token, most under 18s drink alcohol illegally...so should we banish licensing laws :confused:

There are good arguments for the relaxation of licensing laws. Although I don't think i'd support a change to the age limit.

Children will always try to act more grown-up, drinking is seen as a grown-up thing to do, hence they want to try it.

I don't believe this is analogous to the majority of the adult population routinely breaking a law though.

There are good arguments for the relaxation of licensing laws. Although I don't think i'd support a change to the age limit.

Children will always try to act more grown-up, drinking is seen as a grown-up thing to do, hence they want to try it.

I don't believe this is analogous to the majority of the adult population routinely breaking a law though.

You are right...I agree..

However, I don't think that the majority of speed limits that are in force are wrong and should be raised just because many drivers are either too ignorant, lazy or ill-discilpined to obey them. And I include MYSELF in that description. I'm far from perfect, and if I was to be given a ticket, gutted or not, I'd have to take it on the chin.

My personal view is more emphasis should be placed on driving behaviour and standards. Of course the only way to enforce such things is through more traffic police officers and not just speed cameras.

But of course, when a driver is stopped by a traffic cop, the reply is occasionally "Haven't you got anything better to do?"....

So the traffic cop numbers are at an all time low, where the unforgiving, no tolerance, no discretion speed camera numbers are at their highest..

Kind of makes you want to slap every driver who had asked the above question, doesn't it?

My personal view is more emphasis should be placed on driving behaviour and standards. Of course the only way to enforce such things is through more traffic police officers and not just speed cameras.

Exactly. Listen to the traffic reports on R2 and every single night there is a crash on the M6 anywhere between J9 and J18 because of morons driving too close. Perhaps if people drove better the government would reward us by increasing the speed limit on motorways? I'd like to know the statistics for autobahn accidents and whether the 'sensible' Germans drive more safely than we do.

Going back to the M6, I was heading north on there a few years ago. A t*t in an MG Midget cut in front of me. I pipped my horn and he just gave the old two fingered salute, and continued to weave in and out of the lanes. About twenty minutes later he was one of six cars on the hard shoulder involved in a front and rear shunt. I gave him a pip, a merry wave and a huge smile!

The 40 zone is clearly marked and you'll find the distance from the signs to the camera is much further than 100 yards.

Think to yourself why is that camera placed at that site? its not for revenue, its there to protect the traffic using the Victoria Quays junction. The last thing they want is a speedster blasting down the Parkway at 50mph + and hitting stationary traffic waiting at the traffic lights.

The camera was there long before that junction.

You are right...I agree..

However, I don't think that the majority of speed limits that are in force are wrong and should be raised just because many drivers are either too ignorant, lazy or ill-discilpined to obey them. And I include MYSELF in that description. I'm far from perfect, and if I was to be given a ticket, gutted or not, I'd have to take it on the chin.

But of course, when a driver is stopped by a traffic cop, the reply is occasionally "Haven't you got anything better to do?"....

So the traffic cop numbers are at an all time low, where the unforgiving, no tolerance, no discretion speed camera numbers are at their highest..

Kind of makes you want to slap every driver who had asked the above question, doesn't it?

Certainly does.

I'd be far happier to see more traffic cars around and less cameras.

Cameras don't catch bad drivers per se, they can only look at one very small aspect of driving.

Exactly. Listen to the traffic reports on R2 and every single night there is a crash on the M6 anywhere between J9 and J18 because of morons driving too close. Perhaps if people drove better the government would reward us by increasing the speed limit on motorways? I'd like to know the statistics for autobahn accidents and whether the 'sensible' Germans drive more safely than we do.

I don't think the accident rates are very different to here. But you have to remember that only certain sections are unrated.

The style of driving is very different though, the autobahns are less busy and lane discipline is very well adhered too.

Going back to the M6, I was heading north on there a few years ago. A t*t in an MG Midget cut in front of me. I pipped my horn and he just gave the old two fingered salute, and continued to weave in and out of the lanes. About twenty minutes later he was one of six cars on the hard shoulder involved in a front and rear shunt. I gave him a pip, a merry wave and a huge smile!