The Cricket World Cup megathread

So Sri Lanka end up on 215-8 after 36 overs, and Australia win by 53 runs on the Duckworth-Lewis method, and a match which ends in farce amidst gloomy skies. A third consecutive World Cup triumph for the Aussies.

I think that farcical end sums up the whole tournament.

I think that farcical end sums up the whole tournament.

To sum up the tournament - disappointment as usual for England, shocks galore, a murder, farce, but the usual winners.

Postscript by Simon Hughes in Tuesday's Daily Telegraph saying that meddling officials are ruining the game. Opening par!

"There is a good story, probably apocryphal, concerning Seb Coe and a Chelsea gateman. Coe had turned up for a match at Stamford Bridge as a guest of chairman Ken Bates. At the gate he was asked for his ticket. "Well, I've been personally invited by the chairman," Coe explained. "This is the members' entrance," the gateman replied. "Public entrance is round the far side." Eventually, an exasperated Coe said: "Look, d'you know who I am?" "Nah," said the gateman. "I'm Sebastian Coe." "Well," retorted the gateman, "you'll get round there a bit quicker then!"

Fiasco: Steve Bucknor talks to both captains during the final

We used to laugh about petty officialdom and the mindless obstructiveness of jobsworths, but after the fiasco at Saturday's World Cup final, it has gone beyond a joke."