Samaritan left brain damaged after attack - November 2006

I am david Sumners ex girlfriend and the mother of his child, the one he allegadly strangled, that is a load of bull!, he never tried to strangle me and was never violant, that report was made from an insident when i had to ring the police for his own good and the courts and press have turned it in to something it isn't. I am very simpathetic of the man he hit and his famiy but im also outraged of what has been said about dave

So he's not really a violent person and the act of staying on the tram past his stop specifically to have a fight with two older men who asked him not to smoke in a non smoking compartment, was completely out of character?

In that case I feel for your child and his family but after all they will only be without him for a couple of years and then everything will be back to normal for you all. Mr Smith has effectively lost his life for ever ... I'd like to think that your ex boyfriend wants to make atonement for what he did by helping the victim's family when he gets out. But somehow I doubt it. Although I give credit for your 'loyalty' badmouthing the victim on a public forum isn't the most sensible thing to do, anyway. Saying about a man who's been ruined for life that he wasn't "the big samaritan he's made out to be" makes you look rather callous in my eyes.

Maybe it WAS accidental, ...........

Never.

Maybe the severity of the result was 'unintended' but the word 'accident' cannot be used to describe this event.

he shouldn't have bin fighting in the first place but whats happend is unlucky.

Sorry but he decided to stay on the tram and start fighting with these 2 blokes, the outcome however "unlucky" was a direct result of Dave getting drunk and violent. No matter how good a person he is when not drunk, this time it has ended in a bad way for some poor bloke instead of Dave, we all have to take responsibility for our actions this bloke included.

I would disagree that my sister has badmouthed the victim in any way - she is merely ironing out a few of the press' minor exagerations..

discussion is a good excersise but i think here we have a few all in one judge, jury's and executioners.

situations in real life do not transfer to paper very well.

this is a tragic thing - someone has lost a (full and prosperous) life and a beautiful young girl has lost her dad when she needs him most.

hundreds of thousands of people die everyday of starvation and desease.

but,oh yeah, sorry - this doesn't happen in the city you live in - so it's irrelavent?!?!.... :/

People dont deliberately set out to starve or infect people do they?

It is indeed tragic. Thats a given.

hundreds of thousands of people die everyday of starvation and desease.

but,oh yeah, sorry - this doesn't happen in the city you live in - so it's irrelavent?!?!.... :/

My god you are right. From now on I'm going to knock out and accidentally brain damage anyone who asks me to stop smoking in a no smoking area, looks at me funny, looks a bit funny to me, happens to brush past me in the street, honks their horn when I do a crazy driving manoeuvre etc. etc.

Of course I'm being sarcastic. Many people die of starvation and disease and there is little that we, as individuals, can do to help them.

This guy got badly injured because your brother in law, as an individual, was out of control and acted in a selfish, brutish manner.

There is no correlation.

please read carefully through my previous post and note that i was not in any way, shape or form defending either of the parties involved.

'This guy got badly injured because your brother in law, as an individual, was

out of control and acted in a selfish, brutish manner'

that statement = hearsay.

i would hope there is no correlation between 100,000's poeple dying to one being paralised - i was hoping more for comparison.

nobody knows the full story - apart from dave and mr smith. Im sure you mostly lean to the side the press would like you too.

if you've ever punched anyone (which im sure many readers of this post have) then this could be you we're discussing...

regardless of the situation it occured in.

wrong place - wrong time - wrong attitude.

who are you and i to judge. unless of course you or i is perfect and have never made a mistake / done something regrettable.

please read carefully through my previous post and note that i was not in any way, shape or form defending either of the parties involved.

'This guy got badly injured because your brother in law, as an individual, was

out of control and acted in a selfish, brutish manner'

that statement = hearsay.

i would hope there is no correlation between 100,000's poeple dying to one being paralised - i was hoping more for comparison.

nobody knows the full story - apart from dave and mr smith. Im sure you mostly lean to the side the press would like you too.

if you've ever punched anyone (which im sure many readers of this post have) then this could be you we're discussing...

regardless of the situation it occured in.

wrong place - wrong time - wrong attitude.

who are you and i to judge. unless of course you or i is perfect and have never made a mistake / done something regrettable.

Well said m8 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well said m8 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thonk everyone will have done something they regret but they will also have to had live with the outcome.

It wouldn't have have happened to me if I had confronted david SCUMner because the moment he showed any signs of aggression, or at the point when he followed me off the tram, he would have found himself inhaling something very unpleasant, and extemely debilitating. I don't care whether the substance in question is offensive, unpleasant, illegal or unlawul, the one thing that I CAN guarantee is that SCUMner would not have liked it and would have ended with a kicking. Such an outcome is far preferable to ME ending up with brain damage. :wink::thumbsup:

What????? I think you have missed the point here. I understand what you are saying but, surely it might be YOU we were reading/writing about then (- " would have ended with a good kicking") when you would be going down for causing brain damage to HIM. You'd be no better than he is.

Just a quick note to update this thread. I'm afraid that David Sumner who attacked Alan has had his jail sentence slashed to just 4 years. Full story here ..

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Drunk-attacker-has-sentenced-slashed.3226835.jp

Just to recap Sumner was heavily in drink and got on the tram intending to get off at Spring Lane. However he became upset when asked to stop smoking so stayed on the tram until Donetsk Way especially to attack the person who asked him to stop smoking. Alan then tried to help this person and as a result suffered brain damage. He now needs 24 hour care and will never work again.

Seems par for the course! Wonder which party will have the increasing of sentences in any possible election manifesto?