Samaritan left brain damaged after attack - November 2006

Real life isnt like the telly is it? On TV, you hit someone over the head and after a few moments of unconciousness, they get up, shake their head, and get on with life.

That's so true - it bugs me no-end when you see soem dramas where there are no long term consequences from this sort of behaviour.

That's so true - it bugs me no-end when you see soem dramas where there are no long term consequences from this sort of behaviour.

I hate to admit it, but TV, movies, video games and cartoons have a lot to answer for in cases like this dont they?

I hate to admit it, but TV, movies, video games and cartoons have a lot to answer for in cases like this dont they?

I think that the ones claiming realism do, yes.

I remember being impressed by, of all things, a string of episodes in Star Trek : Deep Space 9 where a character lost his leg in a battle and was seriously screwed up by it for several episodes after. That is quite unusual for episodic television, because it's not nice. The more recent 'Battlestar Galactica' has been good in a similar fashion because it's showed that violence messes people up.

Whilst I enjoy the 'Lethal Weapon' films there is a slight fetishisation of injuries in one of them where the Mel Gibson character compares wounds with a female cop.

Whilst I think we're OK with things like Tom and Jerry and stuff today like The Simpsons or Futurama, I think we do have to start at least ensuiring that anything that's realistic portrays the consequences of violence. I think this will become even more important when 'photorealistic' characters start appearing in video gmes in the not too distant future.

Not to mention wrecking this man's family's lives....

People who are violent should be locked away for years with no chance of being let-out - prison should be the means of keeping these 'people' away from the rest of us. How DARE this animal destroy a decent human being's life in this way? He'll no doubt be shortly back in the world to carry on in the same manner regardless - while poor Mr Smith's life is wrecked.

I hope he can live with himself - mind, his sort must have no problem with that and simply don't care about other people's lives, or they wouldn't behave as they do in the first place.

Waste of space.

StarSparkle

He shouldn't be imprisoned. His ilk should be destroyed by lethal injection. If a dog did anything remotely like that, it would be destroyed at the vets.

Does anyone know if Alan Smith used to work in the Parkway Market?

I think I understand what he was saying though, although his punch has seriously damaged somebody's life forever, he was under the influence of alcohol and there's no way he would have punched him should he have anticipated such an outcome.

He deserves to go to prison for it because of the outcome, but it was in no way a carefully thought out plan to ruin this mans life. I think the key in all this should be educating people of what their actions can do to others.

I think I understand what he was saying though, although his punch has seriously damaged somebody's life forever, he was under the influence of alcohol and there's no way he would have punched him should he have anticipated such an outcome.

Sorry but having been told he couldn't smoke Sumner decided to stay on the

tram to attack the bloke who had told him that. He even paid the conductor

extra so he could travel further than Spring Lane where he had originally paid

to travel to. He then stayed on the tram waited until the person he wanted to

get had left the tram and was in a dark side street and attacked him. Does that

really sound like something a drunk would do ?

I would like to say lots of things in davids defence but i am up against it so thanx for everyone who tried to listen.

I would like to say lots of things in davids defence but i am up against it so thanx for everyone who tried to listen.

I think in this instance, corker, you're right to stop posting. After all, what defence is there? He deliberately stayed on the tram and he ended up ruining an entire family's lives. If he'd been unfortunate enough to kill his girlfriend previously, he'd have succeeded in ruining that family's lives instead of Mr Smith's.

Either way, he's worse than a mad dog, and needs keeping away from other people, We expect human beings to show some sense and not act on violent instinct like animals.

It's a tragedy for everyone.

Real life isnt like the telly is it? On TV, you hit someone over the head and after a few moments of unconciousness, they get up, shake their head, and get on with life.

Its time people realised the damage a punch can do to someone, and Im sorry to repeat myself, but if someone wrecks a life through violence, then a simple jail term simply isnt good enough is it?

The sentence should be the same as the crime, let this thug be brain damaged for the rest of his life let his family look after him. See how it really feels

It wouldn't have have happened to me if I had confronted david SCUMner because the moment he showed any signs of aggression, or at the point when he followed me off the tram, he would have found himself inhaling something very unpleasant, and extemely debilitating. I don't care whether the substance in question is offensive, unpleasant, illegal or unlawul, the one thing that I CAN guarantee is that SCUMner would not have liked it and would have ended with a kicking. Such an outcome is far preferable to ME ending up with brain damage. :wink::thumbsup:

He shouldn't be imprisoned. His ilk should be destroyed by lethal injection. If a dog did anything remotely like that, it would be destroyed at the vets.

I agree. This chap is an abomination. No healthy society would allow such a monstrosity to develop and exist within it.