Samaritan left brain damaged after attack - November 2006

There was a thread some time ago about the assault on the Supertram at Donetsk Way.

I can't find it but think that it might have been pulled.

Anyway - culprits have been convicted:

A VIOLENT thug is behind bars today after attacking a family man in a drunken rage at a Sheffield tram stop, leaving him brain damaged.

Mild-mannered Alan Smith, aged 57, was knocked down with a single punch "like a tree being felled" after he tried to calm an altercation between David Sumner and two other men.

continues on The Star website:

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2109842&SectionID=58

perfectly decent law abiding family! I guess he was the black sheep.

Glad he got what he deserved and maybe a taste of his own medicine will come his way.

My thoughts are with Mr Smith

i know david sumner and have done for years, when i went to see my brother in law at marshgate i saw him in the visiting hall, i said alright to him, its a shocking crime we all know but he would,nt have meant that to happen, well hes doing his time now.

i know david sumner and have done for years, when i went to see my brother in law at marshgate i saw him in the visiting hall, i said alright to him, its a shocking crime we all know but he would,nt have meant that to happen, well hes doing his time now.

That's funny - I heard that his famly are scum and he's as bent as a five bob note:|

You are joking aren't you ?

There but for the Grace of God.....! I would probably have raised a similar complaint. Why can't people just abide by regulations?

Does that mean you met him in prison years ago? Obviously not such an upstanding citizen then.

Obviously not such an upstanding citizen then.

Well obviously not, if he was already in trouble for trying to murder his girlfriend ... :rolleyes:

He'd be a prime candidate for the high jump, if we still had it, imo. He's a disaster waiting to happen. It seems it was only pure good luck for him that he didn't kill this man. Although this sounds worse than death for the victim. When he gets out David Sumner should be made to look after Mr Smith at weekends, do the garden or fetch the shopping or something to atone for his wasted, no good life!

I'm never sure what makes some people so violent with so little cause. Surely they could be medicated in some way ... having to report to the police for their sedatives or call at the docs every morning on the way to work?

He woundn't have meant it to happen?

Excuse me, but if I were to smack soemone in their face I might reasonably expect them to be seriously hurt.

If I was too rat-arsed to control my behaviour, then that would be my fault as well.

He's wrecked an innocent man's life - the chap he injured is 'doing time' forever.

Far too many people carry out acts with no care of the consequences. people who don't care about the consequences of their acts - whether they be drunk, stoned or sober when they commit them - don't deserve to be out on the streets again until they can prove that they do.

The moral of this story is: Don't be a Samaritan - unless you wield a motorbike chain

He woundn't have meant it to happen?

Excuse me, but if I were to smack soemone in their face I might reasonably expect them to be seriously hurt.

If I was too rat-arsed to control my behaviour, then that would be my fault as well.

He's wrecked an innocent man's life - the chap he injured is 'doing time' forever.

Far too many people carry out acts with no care of the consequences. people who don't care about the consequences of their acts - whether they be drunk, stoned or sober when they commit them - don't deserve to be out on the streets again until they can prove that they do.

Not to mention wrecking this man's family's lives....

People who are violent should be locked away for years with no chance of being let-out - prison should be the means of keeping these 'people' away from the rest of us. How DARE this animal destroy a decent human being's life in this way? He'll no doubt be shortly back in the world to carry on in the same manner regardless - while poor Mr Smith's life is wrecked.

I hope he can live with himself - mind, his sort must have no problem with that and simply don't care about other people's lives, or they wouldn't behave as they do in the first place.

Waste of space.

StarSparkle

Real life isnt like the telly is it? On TV, you hit someone over the head and after a few moments of unconciousness, they get up, shake their head, and get on with life.

Its time people realised the damage a punch can do to someone, and Im sorry to repeat myself, but if someone wrecks a life through violence, then a simple jail term simply isnt good enough is it?