Count Arthur Strong - Radio 4 - and more recently on TV

I didn't know he had been on radio 2.

I have been following his genius for several years. Kind of similar vocal comedy to that of Ronnie barker.

I have been disappointed that he has not been on for a while..

Not Radio 2, BBC 2 on TV. (I've changed the thread title for clarity.) We've just discovered him and some of the shows were hilarious. You can still catch them here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=count%20arthur%20strong

I think I'm one of the very few people that don't find this funny. The other half thinks hilarious, however, so every so often I have to endure it. :)

I think I'm one of the very few people that don't find this funny. The other half thinks hilarious, however, so every so often I have to endure it. :)

It's not that few. ;)

The most charitable thing I can say about it is it seems to be a bit of a Marmite show.

I oftentimes used to listen to the Count’s Radio Show; I think I discovered it in 2008 or thereabouts, and kept listening to it overseas over the long wave. It’s zany and anarchic; very enjoyable.

My favourite Radio 4 comedies are definitely ‘Count Arthur Strong’s Radio Show’ and ‘Ed Reardon’s Week’. I even bought CDs of them through the BBC Shop. It can really make my day to have those on whilst doing the ironing or peeling the sprouts.

I watched about 20 minutes of episode 5 on TV and thought it was just another poor British sitcom. Inplausible characters, implausible situations and unconvincing dialogue. The Americans are light years ahead of us when it comes to sitcoms except for a few exceptions like Peepshow. The best British comedy is panel shows like Have I Got News For You, Would I Lie To You, Mock the Week etc.

I tried to watch the first 3 episodes each week and turned each one off after ten minutes. I really wanted to like them as i do like Graham Lineham's sitcoms.

I really dont know who finds that stuff funny. Mrs Browns Boys is another one that is going backwards in humor. Oooooooooh hows ya father matron slapstick comedy.

Comedy for people who like big brother & x factor me thinks

Worst "comedy" ever made. In terms of time to killswitch I'm faster than with the archers on that drivel monger.

I tried to watch the first 3 episodes each week and turned each one off after ten minutes. I really wanted to like them as i do like Graham Lineham's sitcoms.

I really dont know who finds that stuff funny. Mrs Browns Boys is another one that is going backwards in humor. Oooooooooh hows ya father matron slapstick comedy.

Comedy for people who like big brother & x factor me thinks

I can't stand BB or X Factor. This has been my first exposure to Count Arthur Strong, and I've enjoyed it as a take on an era of comedy.

Its about as funny as 'Dinner Ladies' or 'When The Whistle Blows'

Not Radio 2, BBC 2 on TV. (I've changed the thread title for clarity.) We've just discovered him and some of the shows were hilarious. You can still catch them here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=count%20arthur%20strong

I hate it when radio 4 comedy goes onto TV.

It is never as funny and doesn't seem to last very long.

Same thing happened with Little Britain and dead Ringers.

I don't watch TV anyway so I ps-pose I'll never hear the genius of the count again now that Delaney has sold his soul.

I hate it when radio 4 comedy goes onto TV.

It is never as funny and doesn't seem to last very long.

Same thing happened with Little Britain and dead Ringers.

I don't watch TV anyway so I ps-pose I'll never hear the genius of the count again now that Delaney has sold his soul.

Maybe watch it & form your own opinion!

Maybe watch it & form your own opinion!

As I don't have a TV, I had to watch it on the BBC iPlayer over the web. The show was different to the radio show. It was more of a second rate sitcom. The radio show was a brilliant exercise in linguistic genius while the situations played out in a kind of extreme farce, often with Arthur's alcoholism causing him to miss out on understanding things.

On the TV show Arthur was just a part, and they gave a big part to Roy Kinnear's Son.

On the radio Arthur was the centre of everything and the supporting cast were better. The radio show had built up to a well rounded hilarious favourite over several years.

Once again another show stolen from it's best outlet(radio) to be a failure on TV.