Is chickenpox/shingles contagious

once the spots have come out on the skin?

I thought chicken pox was contagious before the spots come out and until they dry up. Not sure though.

according to my sons teacher they are harmless when the spots come out but dont take my word for it:thumbsup:

I understood shingles were contagious, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Yes until they dry up it is. I was always under the impression that they were ok if they weren't weeping but I am fairly reliably informed otherwise now (a nurse I speak to on another forum).

I thought chicken pox was contagious before the spots come out and until they dry up. Not sure though.

This is what I was told, so I believe you are correct.

They used to say that chickenpox is contagious until the spots have crusted over.

NHS now say:

"The chickenpox rash is made up of lots of red blisters, which burst and then scab over. Doctors used to think that the infection was still present until the last blister had burst and scabbed. However, the Health Protection Agency now recommends that children with chickenpox only need to be kept off school or nursery for 5 days, because there’s no evidence of the virus spreading after day five of the rash.

.. but if everyone was keep their child off until the spots crusted, of course there would be no evidence of spreading! :)

They used to say that chickenpox is contagious until the spots have crusted over.

NHS now say:

"The chickenpox rash is made up of lots of red blisters, which burst and then scab over. Doctors used to think that the infection was still present until the last blister had burst and scabbed. However, the Health Protection Agency now recommends that children with chickenpox only need to be kept off school or nursery for 5 days, because there’s no evidence of the virus spreading after day five of the rash.

.. but if everyone was keep their child off until the spots crusted, of course there would be no evidence of spreading! :)

That's probably true but from what I remember of when my daughter had them they were all dry by about day 5 anyway so it would be around the same time anyway.

As mentioned, chicken pox is contagious until the spots have scabbed over.

You do not ‘catch’ shingles. What happens is that after having chicken pox, the virus lies dormant on the spine. If you get stressed, the virus can flare up again - usually affecting just one side of the body and as a tell-tale line. The line isn’t always visible though (my doctor told me - long story).

If you have had chicken pox, you shouldn’t be able to get re-infected. However, I know people who have had it twice.

I’m not sure whether a person with shingles can give a non-immune person chicken pox.

Chicken pox is much worse once out of childhood which is why people often have chicken pox parties so that their children will catch chicken pox as a child.

Chicken pox can damage an unborn child though.

NHS now say:

Does anyone trust a single a GP utters these days?

Since the old school docs retired or died, the proffesion seems to have been taken over by nonentities, who mumble into their Vdu screens and repeat a mantra bout having five portions a day. No wonder they all seem so out of it :D

If ever it is my misfortune to visit the docs, I always hope I will get to see one of the practice nurses.

They seem much more aware of what is going on, and more intune with the patients.

GPs just seem to consider patients an encumbrance, and I am sure would be lost without the online advice they are given.

Overpaid, and underworked, these days indolence is the name of the game.

Shingles is caused by stress: it cannot be caught.

However, a person with Shingles CAN give chicken-pox to someone who has not had it - and they are particularly "dangerous" when in contact with a pregnant woman, as chicken-pox can be passed to the baby.

I'm in my eighth week of a really nasty bout of shingles (on my face and neck) and I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

You get shingles after you've had chickenpox.

The virus migrates to the nerve roots and flares up again due to stress or if you get run down, I think.

I was told that people with shingles should avoid pregnant women, and that someone with chickenpox is infectious until teh lesions dry up.