Does anyone remember the Top Rank

remember the rank well in the 70s, happy days, anyone remember improvision there?

I remember Improvision on Sunday nights.I saw Judas Priest, Edgar Broughton Band,Magnum,The Strawbs,Horslips and many more.

Me and my friends loved the Rank on a tuesday night, loved dancing our little legs off, wearing our long skirts, drinking the slushes, happy days!

I used to get in on a Saturday night in 1971 when I was 16, but I looked 18. It cost 50p to get in and beer was 16p a pint. We wore suits with red shirts and white ties and stacked heel shoes. We spent most of the time staring at girls, but didn't have the guts to talk to any of them. Everybody danced to the disco, but as soon as the house band came on the revolving stage, the dance floor cleared. I remember "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" being a popular record. It was pretty grim really and you had to be careful of kids looking to start a fight.

I remember the Rank on a Tuesday night. It would be 67/68. DJ, s were Bobby Vee & Tony Prince. Dont remember bands on Tuesdays but they did have them on Saturdays in the 70,s. I saw Alexis Corner and David Bowie & The Spiders.

Used to love the Wooly Bully, a great way to meet girls as you careered around falling over handbags.

We also used to go to "Down Broadway" which was owned by Stringfellows I think. Does anyone remmeber "Yes" playing there. The other clubs at that time were the "Heartbeat", "The Locarno", "The Ark", "Highway 61". Best pubs for underage drinking and music were The Birley Hotel, The Centre Spot, & The Bluebell. Well at my end of town anyway. Local Bands I remember at the time, Love or Confusion, Incognito, Frank White, Birtday Cake, Mickeys Monkeys, Daisies, Frankenstien's Monsters, Paper Sun and of course The Grease Band.

Never went on a Tuesday night my mum wouldnt let me but they used to have an under 16's on Saturday mornings for a while that I was allowed to go to always really enjoyed it.

I used to go on saturday mornings..it was great.:)

I worked initially as a part time DJ at the Top Rank in 1969 with Bob Dean and the Maurice Naylor Sound. I started working the 'kid' sessions - on Saturday Morning 10-12 noonwe would get about 1200 kids attending, Saturday afternoon 2.00 til 4.00pm we had to compete with the owls or blades matches so attendances were down to about 500 and Tuesday night 7 til 11 for the under 16's we got over 1500 young people in.I went on to work full time (Steve Juste) it was manic but extremely enjoyable. Has anybody out there got any more memories of the Top Rank in the late 60's /early 70's

know this is old thread but anyway yeah remember those sat mornings at top rank.wonder if u the d.J we ( shreiking female teens) once pulled off the stage in our frenzy over some freebys you were throwing out to the crowd??:hihi:

i used to go to the top rank on a tues night around 67/68 never went sat morn tony prince was the dj remember people used walk round in circles and up and down the stairs and it used to get packed also went to the heartbeat on a sunday afternoon oh happy days [keep the faith]

I worked initially as a part time DJ at the Top Rank in 1969 with Bob Dean and the Maurice Naylor Sound. I started working the 'kid' sessions - on Saturday Morning 10-12 noonwe would get about 1200 kids attending, Saturday afternoon 2.00 til 4.00pm we had to compete with the owls or blades matches so attendances were down to about 500 and Tuesday night 7 til 11 for the under 16's we got over 1500 young people in.I went on to work full time (Steve Juste) it was manic but extremely enjoyable. Has anybody out there got any more memories of the Top Rank in the late 60's /early 70's

Hiya Steve Juste! Are you the DJ Steve that used to take me for a pizza before the Saturday night "Steely's" after we had spent all day painting and setting up the stage and lights? I was the engineer that sat up in the box and occasionally plugged the wires back in/out and whatever else was needed! Regards, Frank :-)

Hiya Steve Juste! Are you the DJ Steve that used to take me for a pizza before the Saturday night "Steely's" after we had spent all day painting and setting up the stage and lights? I was the engineer that sat up in the box and occasionally plugged the wires back in/out and whatever else was needed! Regards, Frank :-)

OR WAS THAT STEVE JOHNSON???

My memory is playing tricks on me now?!?!

Hello

Do any of you (Er oldies i'm afraid) remamber the "RANK" tuesday nights for teenagers. We used to go every week and loved it, appart from the occassional mugging outside! Listened to Slade, Roxy Music and all that disco music nonesence. The collars, the flares, the segs, the cardboard hankie in pocket, the tank tops (No 17) two tone levi staypress, ben shermans, crombies, monkey boots (Girls) the straddle cut, the blue beat hat, arrr them were the days.............

too right i used to go their..still got my 1969 crombie with the red satin cardboard hankie.my blue beat hat and loafers got rid of my livi staypress.i also still got my harrington jacket in burgandy..and my 14 hole dockers...

Saw the Buzzcocks,Damned,Clash,Stranglers,Ramones,Sham 69,etc etc at the top rank.

As did I .a lot of fun had there when it became another music venue !