Does anyone remember the Top Rank

I met my wife there in 1971 and yes we are still together.

The perfect dance floor clearer was Maurice Naylor and the Big N sound

Before the Top Rank began to open its doors to teenagers both in the morning and afternoon sessions, the Locano on London Road use to do the same thing.

The week after the 1966 World Cup, I went as usual and everyone who passed through the doors was given free of charge, a small gold coloured charm which was of a an horse shoe with the world in the centre, it was engraved World Cup 1966.

Unfortunately the morning sessions at the Locano ceased to be after a while, the Top Rank then opened its doors for a morning session and an afternoon session ( 2 - 4pm ) and I began going to that every week.

I use to go every Tuesday night as well with my mates - we would all wear 2 piece double breasted suits, with ben Sherman button down collars and knitted ties which then was the style of the Mods...............Good Times !

there's an old sign for top rank nr the bus stops(towards the moor) on arundel gate

I believe my grandma was a cleaner at some point in the Top Rank, she's a little Irish woman, now in her 70s so it must've been in the 60s/70s

On 29/07/2008 at 15:14, docmel said:

Used to go the Rank on Tuesdays, but must have been the late 60's for me. I started work in 1970 and cannot remember going once I was a working lad.

Does anyone remember the 'Walk' ? - You and a bunch of mates, (best to split into pairs, cus you had more chance of 'pulling') walked up the stairs close to the entrance, along the balcony floor, then down the stairs at the far end of the dance floor. Along the way you would eye up any available looking girls who would be stood looking over the balcony railing or on the dance floor, teaching their handbags the new dance steps.

memory may be playing tricks, but I am sure about the same time we went to another night club which let under 16's in - forget the name, but it was on the High Street, in the cellars of a shoe shop (left hand side going down the High Street to the Hole in the Road)

Oh yes, i remember that walk very well. Sometimes if i hear ‘ There Goes My First Love’ by the Drifters and i think very deeply i can still feel the carpet beneath my feet as i walked that walk many times. I also remember spending much of the night under the stairs along with quite a few other courting couples. The only down side of that place was towards the end, in the mid seventies, when too many fights broke out between blacks and whites. I once got mugged in the bogs by a very tall, trenchcoat  wearing bloke (he must have been a good 2 foot taller and 5 yrs older than me) asking for ‘10 cents guy’.  I think the place ended up closing down because of the violence in the end. Sad. 

Used to go with my friend from work to the 'Under 18s Night'. It was the same as anyother night, but they only sold soft drinks, crisps etc; I first saw the Blue Slush Puppy drink there, learned to do the Wully Bully, and got sick to death of hearing Rod Stewart's 'Maggie May'. They played it to death.

Yes, I remember The Top Rank Club in Sheffield. I saw The Specials there in 1980 and we stormed the stage at the end of the concert when they sang "You're wondering now".

I was standing  about 3 feet away from Terry Hall on stage, singing along to this tune.

Very fond memories of this club.

I remember Saturdays place was packed and I always remember woolly bully everyone lined up and kicked a leg in the air shuffled sideways and other leg in the back everyone danced no body cared how u looked those days are but still for me fond memories of your first love but not Last ben sherman olive green stay pressed trousers loafers crombie cardboard hankey red with tie pin style 

Brings back memories..lining up for slushies..Loved the tank top my mum knit me.Then as i got a bit older i got my first jacket and jumbo neck shirt.Can anyone finish this song..."my momma told me..if i was goody...that she would buy me...a rubber   ?????..lol..that was played every week.Remember seeing Fergal Sharky performing there.

44 minutes ago, Ian H(Sparky) said:

Brings back memories..lining up for slushies..Loved the tank top my mum knit me.Then as i got a bit older i got my first jacket and jumbo neck shirt.Can anyone finish this song..."my momma told me..if i was goody...that she would buy me...a rubber   ?????..lol..that was played every week.Remember seeing Fergal Sharky performing there.

Dolly.

On 01/02/2024 at 09:42, francypants said:

Dolly.

Its from the clapping song by Shirley Ellis

I used to go on Tuesdays. I remember the horror of discovering that the ultraviolet lights could highlight my white bra no matter how dark the colour of my dress or top was.