Does anyone remember the Top Rank

I remember going on tuesday nights and on saturday mornings,

i remember one saturday in particular when they had a team of hairdressers on stage, i dont know if they were trying for some sort of record but they asked anyone who wanted their hair washing and cutting to line up i did and remember the water they used to wash my hair was freezing then i went on stage and they cut it and just left it wet -i think i was expacting the full salon treatment- i remember feeling a right prat stood there with sopping wet hair and went home early!!! does anyone else remember this event?

I loved that place ,Saturday mornings Saturday afternoons then Tuesday nights . I use to put seggs in the heals of my brouges & hoped that the bouncers wouldnt check them if you got stopped you where turned away. Can any one remember a dance that every one did where you all stood in a line & you twisted to the left then to the right on your heels.When ever i smell Estee Lauder Youth Dew or Brut for men it takes me back to my girlish days & the great times i had . x

Remember it well, it was the highlight of my week for a couple of years between the ages of 14 to 16. I remember that they used to have bands on occasionally and seeing Chicory Tip playing (miming) their one and only hit Son of my Father. I remember doing the "walk" as another poster has mentioned. Also if you were lucky a girl would come up to you and say “My friend likes you will you go out with her” and you would reply “tell her to walk past” so they would walk by you and you would give her the once over. Someone mentioned about the smell of Brut and that really brought fond memories of the Rank.

Hello

Do any of you (Er oldies i'm afraid) remamber the "RANK" tuesday nights for teenagers. We used to go every week and loved it, appart from the occassional mugging outside! Listened to Slade, Roxy Music and all that disco music nonesence. The collars, the flares, the segs, the cardboard hankie in pocket, the tank tops (No 17) two tone levi staypress, ben shermans, crombies, monkey boots (Girls) the straddle cut, the blue beat hat, arrr them were the days.............

I remember those Tuesdays!! I had some blue hotpants and thought I was the bee knees. Thursdays were known as grab a granny night, the over 25`s!

H I used to go to broadway (met my husband there) and top rank tuesdays and thursdays,(thursdays you had to be oer 18 but me and my mate always got in),had some great times,bring back the good old days,why cant someone open a club for over 25s and play the old records sigh dont suppose thats likely to happen

Clare

I went to the Saturday morning sessions, then Saturday afternoons. Tuesday night was the next step up till I progressed to the 'grown-up' Saturday nights. Met my husband there in 1969/70, and mid week we were always in the Buccaneer. What a place that was.

Just remembered, I saw Amen Corner at The Rank, and Andy Fairweather Lowe kissed my hand. I thought I was going to die in ecstasy!!!!

Saw Love Affair too, happy days. Had to be on last bus though, even if it meant leaving before end.

2 memories of Top Ranking, circa 1970

Being turned away at the door because my hair was too long and touching my collar (those were the days pre balding) and later having presumably had a hair cut rather nervously dancing with my girl to records from the likes of Desmond Dekker surrounded by skinheads.

Tickets for New Years Eve at The RANK were like gold in the early years.

Best memory was going to see The SMALL FACES perform in the late Sixties.

They were only on for about an hour but they were brilliant - with Steve Marriot

in fine form.

Me and my friend used to go every Saturday night from about 1970 (when we were only 16 and frightened of being turned away) till about 1972 and loved it. Saw Amen Corner there on a Tuesday night as well before we started going on a Saturday. Quite right , we used to leave our handbags on the tables sometimes when we went to dance and never had anything stolen, happy days.Ten shilling to get in and used to walk it home to Grimesthorpe every time. Wouldnt dare do that now.

I saw the Clash there too. They were supported by the Slits. I also saw the Buzzcocks, Joy Division, and the Stiff Tour. Any one else remember the Stiff Tour?

Remember it well, it was the highlight of my week for a couple of years between the ages of 14 to 16. I remember that they used to have bands on occasionally and seeing Chicory Tip playing (miming) their one and only hit Son of my Father. I remember doing the "walk" as another poster has mentioned. Also if you were lucky a girl would come up to you and say “My friend likes you will you go out with her” and you would reply “tell her to walk past” so they would walk by you and you would give her the once over. Someone mentioned about the smell of Brut and that really brought fond memories of the Rank.

Certainly remember "the walk" and the smell of Brut. The fashions - well we thought we were the bees knees. Was allowed out for the Tuesday night - my friends dad was one of the bouncers and she was allowed to take one extra friend in for free. Always had to catch the 9.30 bus home and dad would meet me. Can't remember bands ever playing there on Tuesday nights.