Ignorant Drivers on snake pass

Just always makes me wonder what sort of people drive past a hysterical sobbing woman at the summit of snake Pass whose been trying to flag down traffic for half an hour.

Prior to this she had narrowly missed a head on accident and punctured her tyre hitting the kerb. She had no phone signal and wasn't able to change the tyre. After 30 mins in the freezing weather she was pretty much hysterical. I saw 2 drivers actually move to other side of the road to avoid her.

I don't expect a medal for stopping but just can't help wonder why it takes 30 mins for a motorist to aid someone especially a damsel??? :loopy:

That's really awful- when was this? I'd have stopped for her, but then I wouldn't have been able to change her tyre either (but at least I could have phoned someone for her when I got a signal).

Its human nature. A mentality of "I'd rather not get involved" as "It could be a trap".

about an hour ago. Her car could be clearly seen with hazard lights on so trap doesn't come into it. Its just another 'i can't be bothered to help' syndrome.

us men are all viewed as potential rapists nowadays. The heart may say stop but the head advises keep going, avoid trouble, someone else will sort.

I was going to say- she wasn't there when I came across Snake this morning, but I was home again by 7.45 (I really must learn to say no to people asking favours!).

Good on you for stopping for her- even though I understand why people see it as too much trouble and possibly a can of worms, that's a fat lot of help to someone who's genuinely stranded isn't it?

about an hour ago. Her car could be clearly seen with hazard lights on so trap doesn't come into it. Its just another 'i can't be bothered to help' syndrome.

How does that prevent it been a trap? Maybe I have watched too many horror films but I am always wary of situations like that. There could be someone ready to steal your car or worse as you get out to help.

For all anyone knows she could have turned into a shapeshifting lizard the moment you got out to help her.

I thought that changing a tyre was part of the driving test now?

For all anyone knows she could have turned into a shapeshifting lizard the moment you got out to help her.

Those buggers are too busy manipulating world affairs to commit any time to springing traps on Bleaklow!

I thought that changing a tyre was part of the driving test now?

There's always a possibility of things going wrong though- if the car is on ground too soft for the jack to support the car properly, or the wheel nuts have been tightened too much for the brace to work them loose.

I once had a puncture on the M1, and as a result ended up on the hard shoulder on a slip road. I'd got everything ready (in November, in the dark and rain) but had to let the jack down because I couldn't crack the wheel nuts. A police car pulled up and the coppers on board tried to help. If 2 6' coppers hanging their whole body weights off an extension pole on the brace can't shift it, what chance does a woman by herself have? They were just on too tight.

I've often wondered why out of all the places, the top of the Snake doesn't have a mobile phone mast as just where you might need it there is no signal. My in-laws once had to walk to the Snake Pass inn after a breakdown up there.

OK, you can say all you like about keeping it a natural wilderness, but it would be great for safety and in any case it's hardly natural having a tarmac ribbon laid across it.