Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

What music are you listening to?

Recommended Posts

Just finished playing the new release of an old album from Bobbie Gentry The Delta Sweetie ,very disappointed with it, one disc is a remixed version of the second disc which is the 1960s original mono record, both discs have bonus tracks added .

I found it boring and a waste of fourteen pounds i bought it after reading a rave revue in a daily news paper.

 

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Good choice, shades of 'Here come the warm jets' and of where Eno was going to take his music all on one album.

Happy daze sat in front of my old Ferguson stereogram with a warm Blonde (still got both - LOL)

 

 

I think we all need more details of the warm blonde.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Good choice, shades of 'Here come the warm jets' and of where Eno was going to take his music all on one album.

Happy daze sat in front of my old Ferguson stereogram with a warm Blonde (still got both - LOL)

 

 

I've been playing the 'Low' album a lot recently and this always seems like a sister album to it (even though it came out slightly earlier). The first three or four Eno albums were wonderful. His solo stuff since - to me - is patchy. The ambient material has its place, but I prefer his work when he sings.

Love his work with James and U2 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, choogling said:

Just finished playing the new release of an old album from Bobbie Gentry The Delta Sweetie ,very disappointed with it, one disc is a remixed version of the second disc which is the 1960s original mono record, both discs have bonus tracks added .

I found it boring and a waste of fourteen pounds i bought it after reading a rave revue in a daily news paper.

 

I think we all need more details of the warm blonde.😄

All i'm prepared to say is Both the 1957 Ferguson & the Blonde are still in great shape - LOL

2 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

I've been playing the 'Low' album a lot recently and this always seems like a sister album to it (even though it came out slightly earlier). The first three or four Eno albums were wonderful. His solo stuff since - to me - is patchy. The ambient material has its place, but I prefer his work when he sings.

Love his work with James and U2 though.

My Brother is a big fan of All of the ambient stuff (probably spends too much time in lifts  and restaurants lol).

Any way back to the Ferguson and the Blonde come to that. 

Both never cease to amaze me (see what i did there), the tone on the Ferguson (Garrard deck) is something that really captures the best out of playing Vinyl.  I hate the word 'Vinyl' - we never went out and bought 'Vinyl (unless you were going to lay it on the kitchen floor that is) we went out and bought 'Records',  

https://www.lotsroad.com/lot-details/63772/ferguson-658-rg-radiogram

My Ferguson differs from the one in the link in that the Radio is set in the drop down draw and the lp storage area is where the radio is on this model. The cabinet is rather darker on mine and is not only a great Record player but a nice piece of furniture as well.

Just playing Jerry Lee Lewis  'Murcury years' collection at the moment on it.

 

Stay safe and Rock on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the CDs that accompanied the 'Nashville' TV series from a few years ago. 'New' Country, with clever production values. The sonics are full and expansive on my headphones. All-encompassing at times. Feels like you're in the studio with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Mott the Hoople day yesterday, well mostly a Mott day.

the 'Drive on ' Lp has got to be up there with with one of the best LP's of all times with it's mix of heavy and melodic numbers on it.

Choosing a fav track would be so hard because they are all good in their own right.

Fav Mott the Hoople / Ian Hunter number for me has to be 'Once bitten twice shy' - Luv it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I had a Mott the Hoople day yesterday, well mostly a Mott day.

the 'Drive on ' Lp has got to be up there with with one of the best LP's of all times with it's mix of heavy and melodic numbers on it.

Choosing a fav track would be so hard because they are all good in their own right.

Fav Mott the Hoople / Ian Hunter number for me has to be 'Once bitten twice shy' - Luv it.

 

 

 

As good as 'Drive On' was, I prefer 'Shouting And Pointing'.  Such a shame that they only managed 2 LPs. The British Lions, as interesting as they were, were a step down. Next stop; obscurity. 

 

I'm having an early Quo day; Gentleman Joe's Sidewalk Cafe, Gerdundula, Ice In The Sun, Dustpipe, Mean Girl..... Great songs that are often forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wearysmith said:

As good as 'Drive On' was, I prefer 'Shouting And Pointing'.  Such a shame that they only managed 2 LPs. The British Lions, as interesting as they were, were a step down. Next stop; obscurity. 

 

I'm having an early Quo day; Gentleman Joe's Sidewalk Cafe, Gerdundula, Ice In The Sun, Dustpipe, Mean Girl..... Great songs that are often forgotten.

Each to his own - Drive on -  to - Shouting & pointing for me.

& yes British Lions trying too hard for main stream pop - shame, got the looks got the talent but what went wrong?

 

Quo - Even Paper plane - often gets overlooked.

 

Keep safe.

Rock on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Be Bop De-luxe day yesterday.

Come on, there can't be many of us that didn't have a copy of 'Axe Victim'

 

I always find it hard to put Be Bop De-luxe into a particular music category. 

The different styles of music going on often in the same song is confusing at times.

Its not unusual to hear shades of Bowie or even T Rex making there way into some of their numbers (for no reason).

Excellent mix of some very nice guitar and Synth throughout but while some of their numbers were on the 'Heavy' side some (especially the later stuff) were just too 'pop'(y).

 

 

Keep safe  

 

Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I had a Be Bop De-luxe day yesterday.

Come on, there can't be many of us that didn't have a copy of 'Axe Victim'

 

I always find it hard to put Be Bop De-luxe into a particular music category. 

The different styles of music going on often in the same song is confusing at times.

Its not unusual to hear shades of Bowie or even T Rex making there way into some of their numbers (for no reason).

Excellent mix of some very nice guitar and Synth throughout but while some of their numbers were on the 'Heavy' side some (especially the later stuff) were just too 'pop'(y).

 

 

Keep safe  

 

Enjoy.

Richard Strange, once of the Doctors Of Madness, has a weekly radio show on Soundcloud. They supported Be-Bop in '75 (or '76) and Strange has remained friends with Bill Nelson through the years. Last week he played one of Bill's ambient tracks. It was dire. Why the man ever put his rock-roots aside to whither and turn to this tripe is one of the music business' unsolvable mysteries. I want the old Bill back and it ain't never gonna happen. Such a waste. 'Maid In Heaven', 'Blazing Apostles', 'Fair Exchange', 'Panic In The World', 'Life In The Air Age', 'Sleep that Burns'...... These were all staples in the Penthouse/Rebels, Improvisions, the Wap, the Nelson. Everybody knew them. 

All I can imagine is he doesn't need money and doesn't have anyone close enough to him to say "Bill, this is rubbish. You need to rock-out man!"

Edited by wearysmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never really a fan but alan freeman played Blazing Apostles' on the last saturday rock show and i really enjoyed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had an early morning blast of 'Elvis Hitler' just for old times sake.

Excellent raw Guitar, Drums & Vocals.

'Live Fast, Die Young & Leave a Beautiful Corpse'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.