What music are you listening to?

2YplJJm.jpg

It's half of a good album. The 'Ghosts' suite itself is stunning. Multifaceted and epic. 'Grace Darling' is one of the most wonderful evocative love songs ever written. The involvement of a choir was a masterstroke which still sends shivers down my spine. 'The Life Auction - Impressions of Southall from the Train/The Auction' and 'Remembering/You And I (When We Were Young)' are all 'classic' era Strawbs that should be on all 'best of's.

However, the downside: they were chasing another big hit. 'Lemon Pie', 'Where Do You Go?', 'Don't Try To Change Me' and 'Starshine/Angel Wine' all sound almost forced for radio play.

I'm listening to lots of things, but a local band worth mentioning are Promenade Cinema, an electronic duo who have made some high quality music Their last album Exit Guides, from which this song was lifted is well worth downloading:

Also the Chromatics album from which this title track is snipped is well worth listening to:

BBC Radio 2 

Pretenders in concert 

just off to Cleethorpes & will have Tony Blackurn's sound of the 60's with me.

Keep safe.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

BBC Radio 2 

Pretenders in concert 

just off to Cleethorpes & will have Tony Blackurn's sound of the 60's with me.

Keep safe.

One act I never saw live. Saw Martin Chambers when he did his stint with the reformed Mott the Hoople, but never The Pretenders. 

On 05/05/2021 at 21:14, sibon said:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Warren Zevon lately. I’m a bit late to his work, but he was a genius songwriter. 

I’ve spent the last week watching  old MTV documentaries, reading his biography and listening to his fabulous albums.

I have this great career cross-label overview. He remains virtually unknown in the UK I reckon. There's only 'Werewolves' that most would recognise.

J3pNQUx.jpg

xk2nZ3U.jpg

The Dragon/The Light Of My Life decided that I wasn't going to watch the football. No, as it's a nice day, instead I would be painting drawers from the g-kids' bedrooms outside.

Cue total ipod immersion.  I'm a huge fan of the shuffle option. Not knowing what's coming up next is a cheap, yet satisfying, thrill.

Pen and paper at my side, this is how the past few hours unfolded:

The Small Faces - 'Afterglow'

Steve Earle - 'Devil's Right Hand'

Kiss - 'Crazy Crazy Nights'

The Kinks - 'Brainwashed'

Neil Young - 'Lookout Joe'

Captain & Tennille - 'You Never Done It Like That'

Erasure - 'Drama!'

The Temptations - 'Can't Get Next to You'

The Clash - 'Hitsville UK'

Crosby, Stills & Nash - 'King Midas In Reverse' (live)

Richard & Linda Thompson - 'Night Comes In'

The Specials with Amy Winehouse - 'You're Wondering Now' (live)

Queen - 'Liar' (single edit)

Neil Young - 'Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere'

Professor Longhair - 'Everyone's Blowin' Part 1'

Maria McKee - 'Afterlife'

Rick Wakeman - 'Life On Mars?'

U2 - 'Twilight'  

Bowie - 'Drive In Saturday' (live)

Beliefs-Leaper 

An April March-Impatiens

The Danse Society-40 Years Of Danse

Downhill Willows-Downhill Willows EP

Echodrone-Resurgence

Westkust-Westkust

On 05/05/2021 at 22:14, sibon said:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Warren Zevon lately. I’m a bit late to his work, but he was a genius songwriter. 

I’ve spent the last week watching  old MTV documentaries, reading his biography and listening to his fabulous albums.

Bought a boxed set of his for my 65th birthday last year - had "Excitable Boy" on vinyl for yonks. It was a favourite of a small group of us who used to frequent the Nottingham House in Broomhill back in the day.

First recollection of him was on TOGWT playing "Mohammed's Radio".

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Bought a boxed set of his for my 65th birthday last year - had "Excitable Boy" on vinyl for yonks. It was a favourite of a small group of us who used to frequent the Nottingham House in Broomhill back in the day.

First recollection of him was on TOGWT playing "Mohammed's Radio".

He’s magnificent.

Do you have Life’ll Kill Ya in that box set?

26 minutes ago, sibon said:

He’s magnificent.

Do you have Life’ll Kill Ya in that box set?

No - it's just the first 5 albums  - was looking to get "Excitable Boy" on CD and the set of 5 cost only a couple of euro more on Amazon.

Will give "Life'll Kill Ya" a whirl on Spotify tomorrow.

Guest sibon
13 hours ago, Longcol said:

No - it's just the first 5 albums  - was looking to get "Excitable Boy" on CD and the set of 5 cost only a couple of euro more on Amazon.

Will give "Life'll Kill Ya" a whirl on Spotify tomorrow.

I have that box set.

Life’ll kill ya is superb. I think he knew he was seriously ill when he wrote/recorded it. You need to be in the right state of mind, because it’s a hard listen. But there are some brilliant songs, including Porcelain Monkey which is the weirdest ever Elvis Presley tribute.

Edited by sibon