What music are you listening to?

Been a good week. Two new acquisitions; The Pretty Reckless 'Death By Rock And Roll' and The Strawbs 'Settlement'.

download.jpg

Strawbs.jpg

On 09/02/2021 at 20:24, swarfendor437 said:

Forgot to respond. As a teenager I was introduced to 'Yes' by my  much elder sister. Fortunately for me (and unfortunate for her fiance who had to attend a presentation at the University where he got his degree) I was able to see the original line up at the Free Trade Hall i Manchester. The music was absolutely brilliant loud but not so loud that you had to walk out as we had to a few years later when we all went to watch Uriah Heap at the same venue. We had to leave after 20 minutes, the pyramids of 15 speakers on either side of the stage penetrating our gut after a heavy meal (enough information on that!). When we walked out we were 'deafened' by the silence. Always been a fan of Jon and Vangelis. But I wanted to go down a different route from Yes and that's how I started on my journey with Genesis, beginning with 'And then there were three ...' and working my way backwards to the early stuff when Peter Gabriel was lead singer. In those days I had a PrinzSound Radio Cassette player so most of the Genesis collection on Audio Cassette including The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and being a very long Cassette eventually started to lose it's tracking. I recently purchased the Vinyl version but still waiting to unwrap it. Not long after my Dad died I purchased the DVD of Yes appearing in a California location - Superb as always.

I've a lot of happy memories of the Free Trade Hall (and the Apollo) in Manchester. My buddies and I spent a lot of the 70s going to gigs and we would travel some distances for certain acts.  We particularly enjoyed our trips over the Pennines. The train fare to Manchester was about 2 quid. Rush, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, the Strawbs....many others.

We'd have the afternoon off work from our various jobs and be in Manchester about 2. Have a bite and a few beers, then try to get into soundchecks. Easier than it would be today. Most of the time we just walked in. We looked like roadies anyway 😀. Most groups weren't precious. Always glad to speak to fans.

After a show we'd try to get backstage for another natter with the band, then a few more beers and catch the 2.00 a.m 'paper train' back to Sheffield. It was called that as it used to leave Manchester loaded up with copies of the next day's Daily Mirror.

Happy days indeed.

My most recent purchases have been retrowave (New Retro Wave) purchases of bands on Bandcamp.

City Nights by DRYVE (1 digital track)

Just Drive by W O L F C L U B (dIgital album, Vinyl arriving sometime in July)

Thanks in Advance by Ollie Wride (Digital album)

Then recently remembered I had Kristian Leontiou's album SOME DAY SOON on CD so have ripped that to my Music Library and listening via Audacious music app in Linux while working from home.

Edited by swarfendor437

On 07/02/2021 at 22:13, hauxwell said:

Apache by the Shadows on YouTube and other music by them.  They know how to play a guitar.

I still have this in my singles collection!

Edited by swarfendor437

Guest sibon

I’ve been listening to a lot of Warren Zevon lately. I’m a bit late to his work, but he was a genius songwriter. 

I’ve spent the last week watching  old MTV documentaries, reading his biography and listening to his fabulous albums.

I haven't bought a CD for years, until about 3 weeks ago I bought a Fisherman's Friends album from Amazon :D 

Dad's got a CD of the late Don Williams in the car, I can like or hate Country music, some of it's great, but by the same token some it makes you want to go out and shoot somebody! :lol: 

Had Bowie on for last 3 hours,so many great songs.

Advanced Technology by Empirion. Can't believe it's 25 years since this classic techno/industrial album was released. It contains the much-played single Narcotic Influence (the one that has that sample of a woman saying "drugs taking their lives away").