What music are you listening to?

Just found this excellent bit of psychedelic rock on an old Classic Rock compilation. Sounds like the 60s but actually it's 2009.

19 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Like a LOT of Heep, but I may be unusual amongst their fan-base in as much as I couldn't get my head around Byron's voice. Too much of a generic/run-of-the-mill 70s vocal delivery for me. Powerful, yes, but ordinary. Only couple of his albums I like are Return To Fantasy and High 'N' Mighty. 

Far better are Firefly, Abominog, Conquest, Wake The Sleeper and Innocent Victim. A band VERY fortunate to have so many excellent vocalists pass through their ranks.

Saw them at the City Hall on their Firefly tour. Fantastic night.

The trouble with having so many albums to check out is I become weary of the blandness ,I know some albums need time to grow on the listener but life is to short, I have resorted to playing the first couple of tracks. 

Playing the *Flanders and Swann collection* a 1999 release of some fine live performances from 1957 ,good light hearted listening.

There's a 10-part series on Sky Atlantic called Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels. It's a follow-up to an earlier series, but set many years later and you don't need to know what's happened previously as its unconnected.

As it is set around the 30s & 40s in L.A, there's an excellent collection of songs reflecting that area/era. It REALLY works, in the same way that the songs used in the BBC's 'Singing Detective' worked. Emotive, and nothing like anything you tend to hear used on soundtracks these days. A definite period piece, and worth hearing in context with the show.  

last night i had a funky friday, tonight its depeche modes 1st lp

I've been using YouTube to work my way through all the albums of my favourite artists in chronological order. I've already worked through Pink Floyd, The Eagles, David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Supertramp and now I've just got a couple of Cat Stevens albums to get through. Next, it'll be Yes.

Green On Red -Here comes the snakes, not played this one for ages forgot how good this is, from D.T blues to We had it all ,cant believe this album is thirty years old only seems like yesterday when i bought it of a mate for thirty pence .

9 hours ago, choogling said:

Green On Red -Here comes the snakes, not played this one for ages forgot how good this is, from D.T blues to We had it all ,cant believe this album is thirty years old only seems like yesterday when i bought it of a mate for thirty pence .

Thank you Choogling for sharing - can't say i'd come across Red on Green (untill now)- but i've led a sheltered life - lol. (i'm just listening some of their other stuff on you tube as I write this, very good) Very much Alice Cooper ish (which ain't a bad thing). Looks like you did well for your 30p. I'm in the middle of swapping my Cd's from one car to another so listening to the Cd's that have slipped under the seats as they do including Steppenwolf's Monster Lp and Alice Coopers 'Goes to Hell'. Which brought me to thinking what happened to concept albums? I know Ian Anderson didn't like what he'd done with the 'Too old to Rock n Roll - to young to die' Lp but yer can't beat the lead song's lyrics - (love the burnt out spark plugs line)

The old rocker wore his hair too long              ( lock down)

Wore his trouser cuffs too tight                         (turn up's for keeping the extra Ace card in)
Unfashionable to the end                                       (Lewis Leathers or Wrangler are the only 2 label's  i've worn)
Drank his ale too light                                               
Death's head belt buckle, yesterday's dreams               
The transport caf', prophet of doom
Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams
In his post-war-babe gloom
Now he's too old to rock and roll
But he's too young to die
Yes he's too old to rock and roll
But he's too young to die
He once owned a Harley Davidson
And a Triumph Bonneville
Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
Prays that he always will
But he's the last of the blue blood's greaser boys
And all his mates are doing time
Married with three kids up by the ring road
Sold their souls straight down the line
And some of them own little sports cars
And meet at the tennis club do's
For drinks on a Sunday, work on Monday
They've thrown away their blue suede shoes
Now they're too old to rock and roll
And they're too young to die
Yes they're too old to rock and roll
And they're too young to die
So the old rocker gets out his bike
To make a ton before he takes his leave
Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
Just like it used to be
And as he flies, tears in his eyes
His wind-whipped words echo the final take
And he hits the trunk road doing around a hundred and twenty
With no room left to brake
And he was too old to rock and roll
And he was too young to die
No he was too old to rock and roll
And he was too young to die
No, you're never too old to rock and roll
If you're too young to die
And no you're never too old to rock and roll
But he was too young to die

Keep safe. 

Another long lost  favourite of mine from the eighties nineties were the pixies, I bought Santa Rosa  after hearing it while queuing in HMV  to pay for something else ,at the time I never went  in a record shop with more than twenty quid in my pocket and rarely came out with out blowing the lot. Santa Rosa is so well produced it sounds good on any mid range hi-fi system but on a decent system it rocks, stand out tracks  are Bone Machine and Where is my mind  i was playing this on good old scratchy  vinyl  through an AR  legend deck  and an exposure x amp  and some delta 30 speakers  .Fancy some Dead On Arrival tomorrow with Words Without Action = Nothing , excellent example of Canadian punk this time on cd.

Edited by choogling

New one on me Ana Popovic, Serbian guitarist American based, listening to her album Live for Live pleasantly surprised by this one  its a mix of fusion, rock and Hendrix riffs   the first track is almost early Chicago track  17 at 13.50 mins is a medley of presumably her greatest hits the last track is heavy on the sax ,love it to bits.

Edited by choogling

On 13/07/2020 at 12:36, despritdan said:

I've been using YouTube to work my way through all the albums of my favourite artists in chronological order. I've already worked through Pink Floyd, The Eagles, David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Supertramp and now I've just got a couple of Cat Stevens albums to get through. Next, it'll be Yes.

For what it costs you would do better using a UseNet service *a.b.sounds.mp3.classic-rock* is one of the better groups with posts going back to 2012 still on the *news.ewek.nl*  news server  via Newsbin pro there are several lossless groups posting flac. files ,but most groups post at 320 nowadays anyway.