The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

This thread really brings back memories, I grew up in Aston in the 1940's and 50's and remember Joe's Ice Cream van coming round on Sunday afternoons. I haven't been back to the area for over 30years now, I expect it's changed a lot.

:)

The Oldfields of Grimesthorpe. Jack and Edna along with 'old' Mrs Oldfield ran the business in Moss street. 3d for a cornet with raspberry and choc bits. luvvly

I remember oldfields having a freezer shop in bellhouse road right up until late 1990's early 2000 until they sold it on there ice cream was one of the best as a kid growing up in firth park and at grimesthorpe when I visit my grandma and grandad. Memories eh!

Massarella's - they are still around - think that they also owned the original Mr Whippy - the show jumping horse by the same name too - in fact i think Ronnie Massarella went on to be the GB SHow Jumping Team manager at one point - they now have a huge catering empire with cafe's in shopping malls the world over - in Selfridges in London too i think...

Hillary Massarella runs that charity based in south yourkshire called Safe or something like it that looks after runaway children

Massarella's - they are still around - think that they also owned the original Mr Whippy - the show jumping horse by the same name too - in fact i think Ronnie Massarella went on to be the GB SHow Jumping Team manager at one point - they now have a huge catering empire with cafe's in shopping malls the world over - in Selfridges in London too i think...

Hillary Massarella runs that charity based in south yourkshire called Safe or something like it that looks after runaway children

very big in Leicester from ice-cream to eatery's around the town centre. had breakfast in there last time i visited

Anyone remember taggys selling icecream from a wooden hut on gleadless road end of darebury road the very best jam waffers and choc waffers ever.

Use to sell ice dream from a hand cart outside the breachcliffe hotel millhouses.

Hulley's in Ecclesfield was a regular destination for us Shiregreen lads on Sundays. We used to walk across , I think we called the cluff. There were paths which were covered by what looked like slag, waste from smelting. They were wonderful days just before the war.

i have been down the same path end of butterswaite road

when i visited my sister on nethershire lane

I remember John (Sanella) telling me that his family when in Italy were all sheep farmers :)

Only when they moved here they started making ice cream.

Not that many sheep round here I suppose :D

:mad: Hello Mr. Draggletail, John (Sanella) has asked me to point out that none of his family have ever had anything to do with sheep either in the past or the present or the future :rant: and he categorically denies knowing anything about sheep.

And he added that your post was a complete load of rubbish :roll: and that you would know what that meant, as I don't.:confused::confused::confused:

:mad: Hello Mr. Draggletail, John (Sanella) has asked me to point out that none of his family have ever had anything to do with sheep either in the past or the present or the future and he categorically denies knowing anything about sheep.

And he added that your post was a complete load of rubbish :roll: and that you would know what that meant, as I don't.:confused:

Hi Mandem :)

I saw Mr S i'nt pub toneet - he told me you would be posting ;)

He seems to be afraid to be associated with sheep in any way - something to do with an 'Old Luigi' joke :D

Ask him! And tell the tight old technophobe to get ont internet and post himself! Does he know his brother has broadband? :D

G'night :)

The ice cream man I recall was "Brownies" or Browns milk and ice cream, he never left anyone out when he came round . He was well known in the Pitsmoor area, I think he was based around Sutherland Rd. or there abouts

50s-60

Hi Mandem :)

I saw Mr S i'nt pub toneet - he told me you would be posting ;)

He seems to be afraid to be associated with sheep in any way - something to do with an 'Old Luigi' joke :D

Ask him! And tell the tight old technophobe to get ont internet and post himself! Does he know his brother has broadband? :D

G'night :)

"Tight Old Technophobe" your are not kidding, he hasn't even got a mobile phone. I keep telling him to get on the internet, but he is too interested in Beer!! :roll:

I had another look at the 1901 census return and sure enough, next door to the Fantozzi’s in Copper Street lived the Cuneos. Louis Cuneo, age 60 and born in Italy, was an "organ grinder and piano repairer" and his Sheffield born son Nicholas, 33, an "ice cream vendor" – so this may be the origin of Cuneo’s ice cream. In the adjacent two houses (Nos 40 and 38 Copper Street) lived 17 Italians with names such as Di Carlo, Nocci, Buccieri and Denardo, all of whom were ice cream vendors or "street pianists". Italians made the best street pianos in the 19th century, so these may have been the instruments that the original Fantozzi and Cuneo sold and repaired. Further down Copper Street in "court houses" lived another 40+ Italians, all of them organ grinders or ice cream vendors apart from one tailor and a biscuit maker. So this area certainly was an Italian "colony" in turn-of-the-century Sheffield. One of the Copper Street ice cream sellers was Vincenzo Pizzuti, who later had a grocer's shop on Gibraltar Street (corner of Cupola). It must have closed in the 1960s but the empty shop with the green-and-white sign "PIZZUTI: BRITISH AND CONTINENTAL GROCER: was still there until the property was demolished maybe 15-20 years ago.

would like to add these names Gennaro, Spino,Pellegrino,Jessamino also organ grinders & ice cream sellers from little Italy

Hi Have you ever wondered why the Italians were so good at making ice cream.