The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

Part of the Manfredi ice cream family used to, and may still live in Norton Lees. They were quite nice in a rogueish sort of way .....

The stand was still in Crystal Peaks when I was last there and Joes Ices were still at the bottom of Woodhouse Lane, I still think it's the best icecream of today.

I went to the Convent Schol and was at school with a Manfredi, and a Grenelli and went at St Vincents there was a Veronica Cario who's family kept an Ice Cream shop at the top of Scotland Street. Every so often they sent trays of ice cream for the children of the school. My brother always said that the son never passed his scholarship but was at De La Salle when he got there so perhaps his way was paved with ice cream.

When really young the ice cream man came with a horse and decorated cart and we went out with a jug to put the ice cream in. Think the name was Craigs and the horse did service in the week pulling the greengrocers cart

Ronksley's ice cream van used to come round Intake when I was a lttle older and our dog was aways the first in the queue . He had a Tub and loved it, the trouble was some one had to hold it for him to lick while your own ice cream melted.

hazel

I lived at Gleadless on the Charnock Estate in the '40's. I was a young child then, and I remember Joe's Ice's coming round, wonder if it's the same one.

As per previous posts, Sheffield's ice cream sellers have been mainly Italian - but with some exceptions such as Oldfield's and Carey's. There was also Clayton's in Hillsborough - quite a sizeable firm with a number of vans. The Ronksleys (Jack and Vera - both still going strong and pushing 90) worked for Claytons and then had their own vans with at least two of their sons in the business (John and Trevor). John Ronksley is still going strong and operates his van mainly around northwest Sheffield. There was also Howard's dairy in Hillsborough - they had a window opening on to the pavement for selling ice cream to people going to and from Hillsborough Park. The Italian firms that I remember are Truffelli, Manfredi, Molinari, Carolis, Massarella, Sanella, Cuneo, Fantozzi and Granelli. I think it was Granelli's who had a large depot and cold storage plant at the bottom of Duke Street. On summer weekends in the 1930s my father used to go early on his bike to Granelli's and buy a quantity of dry ice (no domestic freezers in those days) and his mother would make ice cream in her washday "copper". Then they would all go to Ashopton (where Ladybower dam is now) and sell ice cream cornets etc. One day grandma burnt the mixture; they could hardly afford to waste it and so they called it "extra vanilla" - and sold out in a few hours...

Can remember my mother telling me that they made the ice cream in the same pot that they kept under the bed at night.

Can remember my mother telling me that they made the ice cream in the same pot that they kept under the bed at night.

Oh dear - I don't think that dear old grandma could have been suspected of using a chamber pot to make the ice cream - though I always had my suspicions about her plum duff...:o

maybe she said it to avoid buying me one :hihi:

There was another 'Italian' ice cream yard on Borough Road in Owlerton.

I think it belonged to Fantozzi's but I'm not sure.

I do remember their dog pulling me around that yard after sinking its teeth into me.

as a young kid.

Another Ice cream place that someone might remember was Allen's which was a big house on the right hand side of the road that runs from the bottom of Granville road to City Road. (Iforget the name of the road).

I used to know Ernest Allen who used to live there at one time.

I wonder if he is still drumming?

I doubt if the house is still there as they built the Claywood Flats at the back of those big houses and demolished 1 or 2.

Happy Days!

As per previous posts, Sheffield's ice cream sellers have been mainly Italian - but with some exceptions such as Oldfield's and Carey's. There was also Clayton's in Hillsborough - quite a sizeable firm with a number of vans. The Ronksleys (Jack and Vera - both still going strong and pushing 90) worked for Claytons and then had their own vans with at least two of their sons in the business (John and Trevor). John Ronksley is still going strong and operates his van mainly around northwest Sheffield. There was also Howard's dairy in Hillsborough - they had a window opening on to the pavement for selling ice cream to people going to and from Hillsborough Park. The Italian firms that I remember are Truffelli, Manfredi, Molinari, Carolis, Massarella, Sanella, Cuneo, Fantozzi and Granelli. I think it was Granelli's who had a large depot and cold storage plant at the bottom of Duke Street. On summer weekends in the 1930s my father used to go early on his bike to Granelli's and buy a quantity of dry ice (no domestic freezers in those days) and his mother would make ice cream in her washday "copper". Then they would all go to Ashopton (where Ladybower dam is now) and sell ice cream cornets etc. One day grandma burnt the mixture; they could hardly afford to waste it and so they called it "extra vanilla" - and sold out in a few hours...

Another one was Hulley's on High Greave or Barnsley Rd.

I used to go with my grandparents who lived on Valentine Rd Shiregreen

This would be in the late 40's

Another one was Hulley's on High Greave or Barnsley Rd.

I used to go with my grandparents who lived on Valentine Rd Shiregreen

This would be in the late 40's

Oooh - Hulley's choc-o-pops. They were delicious, like a choc ice on a stick. Sweet memories...

Carolis's ice cream simply the best.

They had there depot in woodland street I remember being sent for mug full's by my mum.

Before they had vans they used horse and carts to deliver ice cream and they where stabled on Freedom Street behind Stones's beer off.

Quite right - Carolis's ice cream was delicious. Every summer they had a van parked near the bottom of Dykes Hall Road (corner of Brier Street) from which a genial, elderly man (flat cap, white moustache) sold threepenny cornets and sandwiches. Those were the days...

Remember in the very early 60's a van used to come round where we lived on Darnall road selling ice cream. He used to put chocolate sauce on top that when solid the minute it hit the ice cream. Sheer magic when your only six years old. Any body else remember going out with Mothers mixing bowl to get a load of ice cream and a hand full of wafers for Sunday tea?