The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

My Dad worked for an ice cream maker on Grange Crescent Road called Matt's. I believe that was short for Mattessandro. This was in the years just after the War. He drove a big Austin float with brass twirls on each corner, as well as a Fordson van. The ice cream was made in an off-shot of the house on the corner of Cemetery Road.  I recall being with him  at Castleton Garland just by the Maypole Dancing and on another occasion at a Fete at Renishaw Hall. On both occasions the day ended in a thunderstorm, which we seemed to get much more often in those days. Talking about which was the best ice cream?  No contest. There was no such thing as a bad ice cream when you were a kid. They were all a special treat. 

On 18/02/2021 at 15:23, Welney said:

I was born and brought up in Welney Place, Birley Carr. At the corner of Welney Place and Parson Cross Road was an ice cream maker. I think called Lewis (this was the early 1950s). They had a building in their yard with wooden doors which opened ontp Parson Cross Road. At weekends they opened the doors and sold ice cream out of a large chest freezer. The house and business was sold to the Molinari family. Mrs Molinari had a distinct Italian accent which made me think that she had been born and brought up in Italy. They expanded the business and ended up with a small fleet of vans which they stored on some land just off Fox Hill Road.

My grandma lived on Welney Place at #18 and we would visit every year and go to Molinari's pretty much every day and Mrs M would be there at the big chest freezer. I remember when they did a red, white and blue ice cream for when Charles and Di got married. My big sister and I would sometimes hang out with two girls, Lesley and Jane, who lived a few doors away from my grandma's place.

Oldfields top of moss St grimesthorpe 1970s 

Well, reading through the comments on this thread it becomes apparent that despite the huge number of ice cream makers in and around Sheffield, Taggys was the best.

Everyone who mentions Taggy’s ice cream says how unique and delicious it was.

The folks and children who lived around the Henley area all those years ago, including me, were so lucky to have such a treat on their doorstep.

echo.

I must declare my total support for Granelli's. The Granelli's of 1953 that is, when they still used a pony and trap kind of travelling van. My father used to supply the hay and straw for the ponies, and I used to go with him when he went for his money sometimes.

They used to give me a cornet straight out of their ice cream machine, which was in the yard near the stables. 

The last time I did a Street View there was still a Granelli's shop in the same place, with the arch into the stable yard.