The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

Granellis still have a shop near the bottom of duke street/ parkway round a bout area

11 hours ago, Padders said:

I think the oldest ice cream company was  " Walls of Jericho "

The oldest company is Cuneos 

On 08/03/2007 at 21:40, Phil_T said:

The Oldfields of Grimesthorpe. Jack and Edna along with 'old' Mrs Oldfield ran the business in Moss street. 3d for a cornet with raspberry and choc bits. luvvly

Pink ice cream on a Sunday -jack (son)went on to open a frozen food outlet on Bellhouse rd .firth park .

6d sandwich pink ice cream on a Sunday . 

Hulley's Icecream, Barnsley Rd. approaching Ecclesfield.

From our house in Nethershire lane, Shiregreen, you could just spot it across the fields. Lovely ice cream.

Remember my dad saying I think it we ganellis. That he rebuilt then gable wall, and when it we time to settle the bill they paid with 1p 2p coins😂😂😂😂😂😂

My god !!!!  haven't been on here for donkeys years and amazed to see this blog still going.

Anyway, many moons ago back in the early 80s I worked at Taggy's,, (smashing Ice cream made with Jersey milk), and I drove one of his three vans at the week end for awhile .

Ernest, who owned it, back then was the youngest of three brothers, two of whom were already long gone when I worked there, and though every one called Ernest Taggy, when the business was first started it  was actually started and named after his oldest brother who's nick name it had been back then .

I was born and brought up in Welney Place, Birley Carr. At the corner of Welney Place and Parson Cross Road was an ice cream maker. I think called Lewis (this was the early 1950s). They had a building in their yard with wooden doors which opened ontp Parson Cross Road. At weekends they opened the doors and sold ice cream out of a large chest freezer. The house and business was sold to the Molinari family. Mrs Molinari had a distinct Italian accent which made me think that she had been born and brought up in Italy. They expanded the business and ended up with a small fleet of vans which they stored on some land just off Fox Hill Road.

On 10/02/2020 at 11:13, John_S6 said:

The one I remember, and am a bit surprised hasn't been mentioned in this thread unless I've missed it, is Chris's Ices although we just used to call him Mr Chris. I can still remember his face now.

This was in the Crookes area in the 1980s although I'm sure he'd have gone much further afield as well.

I remember " Chris's Ices" . He used to come round our estate at Gleadless in the late 70s and early 80s. Always seemed to have cotton wool in his ears.

Jack  Claytons bottom Haden St between Holme Lane Taplin  Rd best icecream

Re. My father inherited a small "Ice Cream Firm" from his dad, they used to ply their wares from a tricycle the turn of the century around Jump, Hoyland, Elsecar, Wombwell areas. We are of Italian origin moving through Wales C1880s. I cant find any reference to the Bryan or Bryant family selling Ice Cream. I would be gratefull of any info. (my old a/c)

Since this post I have found out the Ice Cream business was run from a general shop they owned somewhere in the area ,it was the Peat family (Gran) .It was my Great grandmum who was Italian, moved up from South Wales, and since talking to the Sidoli family who I say I am the spitting image of the original owner think it could be the Sidoli family.

I'm a decendant of the bufalaro's. I have allot of bits and bobs that I've found from ma grandma that may be of interest to this post :) I will post as I sort through them 

On 19/03/2007 at 19:51, sezlez said:

Carey's ice cream van used to come round shirecliffe early 60s every Sunday.He sold as many sweets as he did ice creams and I also remember him giving our gang a little quiz with the winner getting a choice from the cheap end of the sweets he had piled up at the side serving hatch.

We all called him Mr Carey and I believe he genuinley loved kids,he wouldn't sell us a chocolate liquers ,which he sold in ones because he said we were to young to have alchohol bless him.

A smashing bloke from a time we will never experience again sadly.

His Grandson now lives on shirecliffe.

Did 'Careys' have their factory on Charlotte Lane (between West Street and Pitt Street, just around the corner from the Bee Hive)? If so, my parents always got the name wrong and pronounced it Care-as... Lovely bloke, remember him well. We lived nearby and often bought lollies and ice cream from the factory yard. I believe his son worked there too.