The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

JackClayton .was ice cream man in hillsborough, is yard was bottom of Haden  St just off Holmelane best ice cream in S6.

What were Claytons ice cream vans called? i remember seeing the "Ronksley's", "mr whippy"  :gag:  Manfredi vans name  but i can't remember Claytons being called by their own name - at least written in big letters on the side of the van.

I remember the guy who regularly came up our road (bit of a grumpy chap never smiled - dealing with screaming kids all day probably would make any body like that though), my dad knew the Claytons and asked him how his dad was doing so presumably hew was one of the Clayton family  but i just can't see the name on the side of the van.

Jack Clayton did sell ice cream under his own name, with "J. CLAYTON" on the vans, but this is going back to the 1950s/60s. Jack and Vera Ronksley worked for Jack until they set up on their own; their son John was still selling ice cream in the area until a few years ago.

the one I was referring to in post 227 was on Hillsborough road not  Hillsborough place

it was 2 or 3 doors up from Hillsborough place opposite the old post office

Edited by MICK BADGER

Does anyone remember the ice cream companies in sheffield in the 1960s ? Trying to trace a relative that once worked for claytons ice cream 

I think the oldest ice cream company was  " Walls of Jericho "

I remember Jack Claytons ice cream there yard was bottom  Haden St, Hillsborough.

Hi do you remember any of the people that worked at claytons ? 

I remember the Ronksleys who worked for Clayton's - Jack, Vera and sons John, Philip and Trevor. Then John Ronksley (1940-2018) set up his own ice cream business.

Oh wow thats interesting  so  thats how ronksleys began i am trying to find richard brogan who worked for claytons he must be in his 80s now 

Are Manfredis still in business, used to love their ice cream, also I remember Granellis in the old rag and tag market are they still in business?