The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

I always loved Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy is Walls. Mr Softee, Nestle. Soft serve ice cream revolutionised the mobile ice cream business. Suddenly, especially when the team of British scientists of which Margaret Thatcher was one, improved the originally American process to double the amount of air inside the whippy ice cream, production costs went right down, and profit margins went right up.

Mr Whippy is Walls. Mr Softee, Nestle. Soft serve ice cream revolutionised the mobile ice cream business. Suddenly, especially when the team of British scientists of which Margaret Thatcher was one, improved the originally American process to double the amount of air inside the whippy ice cream, production costs went right down, and profit margins went right up.

must confess to my shame my wife eats it,keep offering to take her for real ice cream some with nuts in it maple or butter pecan,now i can only watch daren't touch anythig with sugar in it,tonight the Lotto is 50million so i aim to WIN and open a sugar free:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr. Whippy was a franchise, originally run by Northern Dairy's who used a"live" mix which produced excellent ice cream. After a few years the franchise was taken-over by Wall's who used a cheaper sterilized mix which like all Wall's ice cream was rubbish.

The Whippy machines were mainly Italian Carpigiani, only the newest ones injected air into the mix, most did not.

I can't see that they were particularly profitable as all the equipment needed a three ton van with an extra engine to drive the generator. Much easier to run a small van with a couple of cold plates and tub of hard ice cream.

I don't like soft-serve ice cream either to eat, however there is no question soft-serve is much better to sell. Not only is the profit margin immensely more, but the sheer speed of service is also immensely more. A Whippy salesman can get a queue down twice as fast as a scoop, therefore do many more stops in a day, and take much more money.

I don't like soft-serve ice cream either to eat, however there is no question soft-serve is much better to sell. Not only is the profit margin immensely more, but the sheer speed of service is also immensely more. A Whippy salesman can get a queue down twice as fast as a scoop, therefore do many more stops in a day, and take much more money.

double darn I didn't win the 50million so NO opening of my sugar free ice cream shop ,now just have to watch and lick my lips:D:D

I heard recently that Mrs Mollineri had passed away. It was just something that came up in a conversation I had with an old friend from Beighton.

I heard recently that Mrs Mollineri had passed away. It was just something that came up in a conversation I had with an old friend from Beighton.

Yes Flo passed away a month or so ago.

After he came back from the War my dad sold ice cream for a small family-run firm called Matts off Grange Crescent. He drove an old Austin Ice Cream Float with fluted brass adornments and toured the streets of Sheffield or went to out-of-town events like Castleton Garland. Does anyone recall buying their ice cream? And what names can you recall besides Manfredi and Granelli. There must have been quite a lot in the 40s and 50s before Mr Whippy drove them out of business.

The one I remember, and am a bit surprised hasn't been mentioned in this thread unless I've missed it, is Chris's Ices although we just used to call him Mr Chris. I can still remember his face now.

This was in the Crookes area in the 1980s although I'm sure he'd have gone much further afield as well.

14 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi DavidFrance - I don't remember Matt's but here is an advert. and listing from the 1951 Kelly's Directory.  https://i.postimg.cc/GpRZ87YW/Matts-ice-cream-1951.jpg

there used to be an ice cream man on Hillsborough place

I cant remember the name circa 1960 opposite what used to be the old post office, I bet you know

38 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

there used to be an ice cream man on Hillsborough place

I cant remember the name circa 1960 opposite what used to be the old post office, I bet you know

I don't actually remember an ice cream man on Hillsborough Place, but Jack Clayton was nearby at the end of Haden Street.; he had a number of vans in the 1950s/60s.